Part II: 1966 Fender Mustang Restoration | It's alive!

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
CCOffset
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Part II: 1966 Fender Mustang Restoration | It's alive!

Post by CCOffset » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:46 am

It makes music again! This is the second video about the 1966 Fender Mustang that was found in an attic by the daughter of a man with hoarding tendencies. They didn't know their dad ever had a guitar and still had a lot of junk to sift through. Maybe they will find the amp? (I hope it's a Princeton Reverb!)

I attempted to replace only the black plastic switch tip but realized I'd have to break solder just to get into the switch. I ended up replacing it with a proper working vintage switch donated from a '65 Fender Mustang. Thanks for checking it out! The next step is to finish the set up and bring it to the stage.

https://youtu.be/1B9-7A812jQ

diego_nu
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Part II: 1966 Fender Mustang Restoration | It's alive!

Post by diego_nu » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:50 am

Great video.
Very nice and clear.
Thank you

CCOffset
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CCOffset » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:13 am

diego_nu wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:50 am
Great video.
Very nice and clear.
Thank you
Ah thanks for watching! I'm still dialing in on the set up. Any recommendations? I'm almost tempted to forward shim the neck to bring the bridge height down. Anyone else done that on their Mustang?

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:11 am

CCOffset wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:13 am
diego_nu wrote:
Great video.
Very nice and clear.
Thank you
Ah thanks for watching! I'm still dialing in on the set up. Any recommendations? I'm almost tempted to forward shim the neck to bring the bridge height down. Anyone else done that on their Mustang?
Uh, no. Don't do that. I wouldn't be so worried about the height of the bridge as long as the action is low and playable. The height of the bridge should generally not be flush with the body anyway. These bridges function better with more downward pressure on them. Tilting the neck back with a shim and raising the bridge is a better method if necessary. Mustangs aren't as susceptible to the rattling issues that Jazzmasters and Jaguars are, though, so a shim might not be necessary.

But don't get hung up on how high up the bridge is. Just focus on string height and playability.

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:13 am

Ah, interesting thougts on the Mustang bridge height.
I am working on one of my Jagstangs (modded with two Single coils, Mustang style) these days and want to change something because of the height of the bridge also. So, I had the same thoughts to shim the neck maybe...
One thing which happens when you have the bridge too high, is , that the bridge pickup is maybe in too big distance to the strings..
I had this problem, and could not screw the PU higher...
It starts... when it begins.
Ralf Kilauea

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:21 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:11 am
CCOffset wrote:
diego_nu wrote:
Great video.
Very nice and clear.
Thank you
Uh, no. Don't do that. I wouldn't be so worried about the height of the bridge as long as the action is low and playable. The height of the bridge should generally not be flush with the body anyway. These bridges function better with more downward pressure on them. Tilting the neck back with a shim and raising the bridge is a better method if necessary. Mustangs aren't as susceptible to the rattling issues that Jazzmasters and Jaguars are, though, so a shim might not be necessary.

But don't get hung up on how high up the bridge is. Just focus on string height and playability.
The only problem is when the strings foul on the back edge of the bridge, which can affect tuning stability with vibrato usage. Unless it's really extreme, it shouldn't be too bad, though.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:19 am

supersonicjazzmaster wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:13 am
I am working on one of my Jagstangs (modded with two Single coils, Mustang style) these days and want to change something because of the height of the bridge also. So, I had the same thoughts to shim the neck maybe...
One thing which happens when you have the bridge too high, is , that the bridge pickup is maybe in too big distance to the strings..
A better solution to this type of problem is to put some foam under the pickup.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:20 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:21 am
adamrobertt wrote:
CCOffset wrote:

The only problem is when the strings foul on the back edge of the bridge, which can affect tuning stability with vibrato usage. Unless it's really extreme, it shouldn't be too bad, though.
Sure. I guess that's more of an issue with the higher break angle that the Mustang has. Still, forward shimming the neck seems like a terrible idea all around to me. There's no way it'd improve the playability. I find it odd how obsessed a lot of people are with having a low bridge height.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:25 am

^^ yeah, after experimenting with different shims on my '66 stang (now sadly moved on) i decided on... the same fiberboard shim in the same spot it left the factory with. But I did use a staytrem, which isn't as tall as the stock bridge

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:42 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:19 am
Yes, thanks, I guess you are right. Foam is good to get some pressure.
Ralf Kilauea

CCOffset
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CCOffset » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:39 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
CCOffset wrote:
diego_nu wrote:
Great video.
Very nice and clear.
Thank you

Great insight here! The bridge height off the body was pretty high and the neck relief/action were perfect. The problem I was having was that the tremolo was too loose feeling. I wanted it to feel more taught and didn't know how to get there until I asked my friend Mike Adams who set me straight!

The cigar height is adjustable at the top (allen wrench). Raising the height of the sausage increases the pull on the springs and makes it feel stiffer. So now the set up is just about perfect. Thanks for watching!

CCOffset
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CCOffset » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:40 pm

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:42 am
adamrobertt wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:19 am
Yes, thanks, I guess you are right. Foam is good to get some pressure.
Luckily the mustang pickups are adjustable with screws like a Strat pickup! I like that better than adding foam to a Jazzmaster/Jaguar.

supersonicjazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonicjazzmaster » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:14 am

Yes, I like them also, but they are limited in getting more height if needed.
And when the screw not works correct, when it´s overrunning, a piece of foam is maybe a good solution I guess.
With the Jazzm./Jaguar construction you have got the length of the screws which is enough.
I will try and keep you updated.
Ralf Kilauea

infrared72
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by infrared72 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Cool video. I've not had something that old that needed a repair. You're brave to take that on - I'm not sure my limited soldering skills would be up to snuff for a vintage instrument.