Having a vintage Jazzmaster neck refretted, what size?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Having a vintage Jazzmaster neck refretted, what size?

Post by adamrobertt » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:33 pm

Nelsclinesucks wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:44 am
zhivago wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:06 pm
I've got big frets on my '61...Dunlop 6150, like the ones on my LP Custom...the guitar plays itself :-*
Wanting to try this but worried about it losing that darker JM tone. Did you have any issues Like that?
lol what

kosmonautmayhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kosmonautmayhem » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:11 pm

I spent about a full year getting the courage to have my '63 Jaguar done. It needed frets bad. I liked the small frets and it was easy and fun to play but the divots in the first position were too deep to dress away. I went local (luckily have lots of options in Chicago.) Ended up going with Stew Mac #148. They're just a little bigger than the original vintage wire. I couldn't be happier. I'd probably go with the same when my JM finally needs a refret. Can't believe I wasted so much time pining over it. It plays and sounds so much better.

That said, I do like some of the wider, low Gibson wire. I'd totally consider that too and almost went that route. In the end its whatever you feel is best for you. I don't think you'll regret bigger wire. If you're going to keep it then you've already answered that question. Get what's right for you.

The way I see it, you'll have to reacquaint yourself with the neck after a refret no matter what size wire you choose since you'll no doubt have to dial in the setup to taste - so even if you got the exact same size it would still take some time to settle in.

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:45 am

I love the low and wide Gibson frets, I have a 79 LP Custom and its fantastic, but I've never been sure how well those kind of frets would work on a 7.25 radius neck.