Pics: '65 L-Series Jag

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pics: '65 L-Series Jag

Post by fuzzking » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:57 am

Good Morning, all.

Sookwinder (in reply to my hello in the introductions section) asked me to post some Pics of my stuff.

Sorry for starting a new topic on this, but I didn't know where else to post 'em,
since the thread in the offset forum is "YOURSELF & YER GUITAR."

Here are the Pics of the Jag.

The flakey stuff underneath the strings is all dandruff.
It's got the Schaller Bridge with rollers, totally fixed with two adapters (metal) that fit
snugly into the cavities. They  got windings in them so the bridge can be adjusted
the way its supposed to by just turning the elevating screws that come w/ it.
The adapters allow for better contact bridge > body, resulting in higher resonance
of the whole construct, so the guitar itself is pretty loud when strummed (for a Jag).

The neck itself is shimmed for sustain reasons, also.

Only thing I don't like about it is the A-width of the neck (pretty rare, but horrible for
people with normal hand size). There once was a guy with small hands who wanted to trade
for a 64 Jazzmaster, but we lost contact. Dang. Lately I'm considering to put a conversion neck
on it (some weird in-between warmoth scale?) with a fat profile so as to make it more of a player.
Anyone had experience w/ removing the metal shieldings on the Pups? That mod is supposed
to mellow them out a bit...

Cheers, Michael

Pics of the Jazzmasters will follow.

Sorry for the layout of the links, but
I couldn't find another way to get them to work.

Last edited by Jay on Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody exists on purpose.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Re: Pics: '65 L-Series Jag

Post by Orang Goreng » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:09 am

Sorry for starting a new topic on this, but I didn't know where else to post 'em,
This is the right place. And you certainly don't have to apologize for starting a new topic!

Only problem (for me at least) is that I don't see any pics... tried reloading the page and turning my firewall off, but nothing helped. I checked how you posted them, but that all seems in order. Bollocks! I'll just let my imagination work, based on your descriptions. Wow, nice guitar!

Edit: never mind, I see them now.

It's quite easy to take the metal claws off the pickups; you just have to unsolder a ground wire.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:13 am

It's been a while since I worked on my jag, but if memory serves me well, the pickups are attached to the claw with the short piece of exposed wire that connects to the ground lug on the pickup. You can see this if you lift the pickups out of the claws (with some attention, as they may be stuck in there somewhat tightly); the wire is the only thing that keeps them connected. Just take your soldering iron to the bit of wire and tthe claw will come straight off.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:23 am

Well, question is: Did you really hear a difference, or is this some weird mystical thing?
I can imagine the claws doing stuff to the magnetic field, but soldering will surely
diminish the value of the gtr (in some people's eyes, at least...).
I always try to mod the stuff in a way that can be undone 100%, so that step might
be a little, hmm, "parlous"? Well, I might as well give it a try, since I'm not really considering
selling the guitar...

M

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:26 am

FUZZ_KING wrote: Well, question is: Did you really hear a difference, or is this some weird mystical thing?
I have no idea. I had to remove the claws when I changed pickups, so I immediately put them back on the new pickups. I never tried what it sounded like without the claws. From what I've heard from other people, the difference isn't really noticeable though.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:50 am

Well then, I'll just leave them things alone.
They're about okay to my ears, anyway.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:46 am

Thanks FireArrow! I moved them into the original post.

For future reference, the code to use an image thumbnail for a link is as follows:

Code: Select all

[url=http://LINK TO LARGE IMAGE][img]http://LINK TO THUMBNAIL[/img][/url]