Offset noob asking for verified vintage

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
JodiahTwain
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Offset noob asking for verified vintage

Post by JodiahTwain » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:15 pm

Hi from Oklahoma! I recently purchased a beautifully playable 1959 refinished Jazzmaster. At least it was sold as all vintage with a refinished price. I bought it for all the reasons, loved the feel and sound, I've felt/heard nothing like it before or since, the investment, its beautiful to me, my inspiration, always wanted a vintage fender.

Ever since im now obsessed with the offset world.
I am posting to get feedback from the gutshots the shop that sold it to me gave me. I think I paid a fair price, but really just want to know more about how to verify vintage. And since this is very much a players piece, I want to know if changing the bridge saddles on this thing is bad form. Just have some buzz on high E when I pick heavily.

Anywho. Been lurking and learning, now I'm in the game and want to take it to the next level.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... Gmi10d7_AF

Also, new at sharing images on the forum. Advice on that is helpful too.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Offset noob asking for verified vintage

Post by zhivago » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:30 am

Welcome to the site! :)

I am moving this thread to the Vintage section, where you will get more visibility. 8)
Resident Spartan.

andrewaward
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewaward » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:02 am

There is a few things not quite right. The complete wire harness looks like its from early 1961 (also the toggle switch nut isn't original). The gold pickguard is a reissue (originals had 9 holes not 13).

Its possible the guitar was built early 61, and has a 59 dated neck and that at some point someone has changed the pickguard. Its also possible its a partsmaster.

So its not a 59 gold guard era Jazzmaster (a genuine 59 would have a 9 hole gold pickguard as I mentioned, and the body main pot cavity has a very distinct shape, different to all other years......….and the pots would be 59 dates with sausage caps all 'round) and it would have a tweed case .Still looks nice! Whats the neck plate serial number?

bterry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bterry » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:42 am

looks to have some modern parts, too (toggle switch) and the case is mid-1960 or later (‘59 would be a ‘knuckle-buster, tweed or brown).

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:06 pm

Screams partsmaster to me. Looks like a nice one though. I wouldn't sweat it too much unless you paid $7000 for it.