NGD 1963 body-only refin Jazzmaster

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD 1963 body-only refin Jazzmaster

Post by algeriet » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:38 am

THERE ARE STILL DEALS OUT THERE TO BE MADE

Mods/Changes:

*Metallic pearl white body refin
*refret done in 2017 by American Guitar Shop in Berlin
*Seymour Duncan Hot for Jazzmaster pickups (originals came with)
*volume capacitor is from 2017, tone says '63
*reissue witch hat knobs
*no case
*brass nut

I got this a week ago, Friday the 7th, in a trade deal. Back in February I got ahold of a 80's ESP clone of a '64 Custom Telecaster, nitro finish in the most beautiful nitro and everything, albeit no case. It had a 43mm nut width which I didn't really like, I preferred the 42mm (crazy how one notices that small tiny difference) on my other Fenders. Finally back in June a dude posted that he had a golden Harmony Silhouette that he wanted to trade. We met up the same day and we made the swap. I figured I wanted to see if the hype was real, and a brand new unused Mono gigbag wouldn't hurt. Here's the guitar in question: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=116558&hilit=harmony

After a while I realized I really just preferred Jazzmasters so I posted this one for sale/trade, but that I'd be keeping the case (once you go Mono...)
No one reached out. One dude far from Berlin wrote that he had one of those Gibson SG Specials in Pelham Blue with p90s, but then again the distance was discouraging.

Finally on Wednesday last week, a dude writes that he's got a '63 refin JM for trade. I figure, oh heck, he'll want 2500€ in difference, at the least, which I wasn't really interested in. He replies that he wants to make the trade straight up. I ask for pics, and repeat my question of how much money he wants, and he sends pics and says none.

Obviously it sounds like total bs and that he'll ghost me, but he insists on a time and date, and I (for the last time), ask how much he wants. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

He finally shows up, was a nice gentleman, we had a chat, how he got ahold of the guitar back in 1988, that he was actually after a Jaguar but a dude offered him this and they were "similar enough" haha, how it was already refinished, that the original sunburst was unfortunately sanded, mentions to me the Harmony's EU price so he was totally aware of the difference in value, and after about ten minutes of us both playing the guitars and jamming Smiths songs together, he asks if I'm up for the trade.

I'm still in shock that I have this guitar.

I'm in talks with both Rexter in the UK and Guitar Doc here in Berlin about a refin, this 80's job just won't cut it.
I've been frantically looking at custom colors the last week, but I think for now that I've settled on these few contenders: Shoreline Gold, if it's an ash body; sunburst, blond, or maybe some kind of chocolate sunburst or something. Fiesta Red was a strong contender as well as Firemist Silver (yellowed out) and Inca Silver. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Also, he told me he replaced the pickups because they got weak. These Duncans aren't the more expensive Antiquity models, but they actually sound fine. Anyone have any suggestions about rewinding pickups, thoughts, insights whatsoever?

Thanks

Also I keep it in the Mono case, LOL.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD 1963 body-only refin Jazzmaster

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:11 pm

I'm really happy for you!

I'm also incredibly surprised this wasn't another story from the US (or Mexico, if pat was still living there). The fact you're in Berlin fills me with optimism because I'm in Leipzig & am also on the look out for something old & coveted (in my case, an acoustic). I know about Ebay Kleinezeigen but, without a car, I'm still left with the risk of "buy before you try". I'm really hoping something comes up in Saxony. We'll see.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:26 pm

Richtig gutes Zeug!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by postchrist » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:15 pm

gorgeous!
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:20 pm

That is the most incredible trade story I think I've ever read on the board. Congrats!!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whitewatersky » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:29 pm

Congrats! Win win for you both since he sounds happy with your guitar too by the sounds of it!!!

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:29 am

algeriet wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:38 am
I'm in talks with both Rexter in the UK and Guitar Doc here in Berlin about a refin, this 80's job just won't cut it.
I've been frantically looking at custom colors the last week, but I think for now that I've settled on these few contenders: Shoreline Gold, if it's an ash body; sunburst, blond, or maybe some kind of chocolate sunburst or something. Fiesta Red was a strong contender as well as Firemist Silver (yellowed out) and Inca Silver. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears.
If it was originally sunburst it will be an Alder body... If It was mine I'd probably go with a nice accurate recreation of the original look, with attention paid to the width and shades of the original bands. It's a great, classic look, and imo custom colours on this era of JM need the matching headstock to look right... whilst touching that neck finish would be a bit sad.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:38 am

Wow! Congratulations. Great deal, and in Berlin too... I didn’t think it was possible. Colour-wise, since it’s got that gorgeous tort guard, I’d go for something complimentary, like Charcoal Frost, sunburst or one of the silvers.

I’d go with Rexter for the refinish. Personally, I found the Doc to be a klugscheisser, but I know he’s liked by many. More importantly, I’ve seen botched jobs by him (or more likely one of his employees), so I wouldn’t trust him with it. Rexter‘s work, on the other hand, is fantastic, and he’s a great guy.

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by algeriet » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:52 am

To everyone: thanks!
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:11 pm
I'm really happy for you!

I'm also incredibly surprised this wasn't another story from the US (or Mexico, if pat was still living there). The fact you're in Berlin fills me with optimism because I'm in Leipzig & am also on the look out for something old & coveted (in my case, an acoustic). I know about Ebay Kleinezeigen but, without a car, I'm still left with the risk of "buy before you try". I'm really hoping something comes up in Saxony. We'll see.
Funny, I was in Leipzig earlier this week for three days, got a tattoo at Studio Cherie. Very cool city, not a lot of people?
Anyways, my gf and I have decided to move there it seems. We should grab a beer sometime!

mgeek wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:29 am
If it was originally sunburst it will be an Alder body... If It was mine I'd probably go with a nice accurate recreation of the original look, with attention paid to the width and shades of the original bands. It's a great, classic look, and imo custom colours on this era of JM need the matching headstock to look right... whilst touching that neck finish would be a bit sad.
I spent the whole day on guitarhq.com and now realized it's not ash, what a shame! I hear ya on the matching headstock, and there's no way I'd ruin this decal for a stupid refin either. Anyways, life's too short to not get a body-only custom color refin. Live a little!

I've decided on Shoreline if it'll be a solid finish, but I'm still undecided if I want to go with a sunburst of that era or some other kind of burst like below or something more cherry burst-ish.

Sauerkraut wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:38 am
Wow! Congratulations. Great deal, and in Berlin too... I didn’t think it was possible. Colour-wise, since it’s got that gorgeous tort guard, I’d go for something complimentary, like Charcoal Frost, sunburst or one of the silvers.

I’d go with Rexter for the refinish. Personally, I found the Doc to be a klugscheisser, but I know he’s liked by many. More importantly, I’ve seen botched jobs by him (or more likely one of his employees), so I wouldn’t trust him with it. Rexter‘s work, on the other hand, is fantastic, and he’s a great guy.
Hmm, thanks for the heads-up. I'm just unsure about shipping it. In case you missed it, I've had really bad experiences with shipping Jazzmasters in the past:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=116757

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:53 am

algeriet wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:52 am
Hmm, thanks for the heads-up. I'm just unsure about shipping it. In case you missed it, I've had really bad experiences with shipping Jazzmasters in the past:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=116757
I totally didn't realize that was you...DO NOT SHIP THAT GUITAR ANYWHERE. It sounds like karma rewarded you, not only by returning your stolen guitar, but by bringing you this incredible pre CBS JM basically for free.

To be honest, especially with your recent history, I'd take it as a sign from the guitar gods to just enjoy this JM as it is for a few years and not worry about refinishing. It doesn't look bad at all to me.

You mentioned that he replaced the pickups with Duncan Hots but then asked about pickup rewinding - did he include the originals? He said they "got weak", which could be anything from demagnetization to broken coils. Check them with a multimeter - what do they read? Rewinding and remagnetizing are both simple things that any competent pickup winder can do, and restoring the original pickups to working order is 100% worth it if you have them.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:02 am

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:53 am
...I totally didn't realize that was you...DO NOT SHIP THAT GUITAR ANYWHERE. It sounds like karma rewarded you, not only by returning your stolen guitar, but by bringing you this incredible pre CBS JM basically for free.

To be honest, especially with your recent history, I'd take it as a sign from the guitar gods to just enjoy this JM as it is for a few years and not worry about refinishing. It doesn't look bad at all to me.

You mentioned that he replaced the pickups with Duncan Hots but then asked about pickup rewinding - did he include the originals? He said they "got weak", which could be anything from demagnetization to broken coils. Check them with a multimeter - what do they read? Rewinding and remagnetizing are both simple things that any competent pickup winder can do, and restoring the original pickups to working order is 100% worth it if you have them.
I'll just put a big +1 under this. Very wise words.

As to Leipzig, yeah, it's a pretty cool city. A hell of a lot smaller & more chilled out than Berlin (and London, where I lived for almost 2 decades). The food culture could be more varied but, hey, it's only just getting started here.
Last edited by PorkyPrimeCut on Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:05 am

algeriet wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:52 am
I spent the whole day on guitarhq.com and now realized it's not ash, what a shame! I hear ya on the matching headstock, and there's no way I'd ruin this decal for a stupid refin either. Anyways, life's too short to not get a body-only custom color refin. Live a little!

I've decided on Shoreline if it'll be a solid finish, but I'm still undecided if I want to go with a sunburst of that era or some other kind of burst like below or something more cherry burst-ish.

[/quote]

haha you're right! a proper shoreline gold refin would look excellent, especially once it's worn in a bit to match the neck. Do it! Deffo that over a sunburst variant that wouldn't have happened back when it was made' Something authentic
Last edited by mgeek on Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul-T
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paul-T » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:05 am

mgeek wrote:
algeriet wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:38 am

really would endorse this. THis would have been a sunburst originally, returning it to that finish is a restoration - and not a refinish. Especially as you don't want to touch the headstock.
"classic marked down to 20 pence bargain bin fodder'

Paul-T
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paul-T » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:05 am

mgeek wrote:

really would endorse this. THis would have been a sunburst originally, returning it to that finish is a restoration - and not a refinish. Especially as you don't want to touch the headstock.
"classic marked down to 20 pence bargain bin fodder'

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:09 pm

That's a great score!. Guitar looks beautiful and it's got an "A" width stamp, so the nut width is a bit narrower than usual (38mm IIRC). Hos does the neck feel? Congrats and looking forward to see the refinish.