Musicmaster Bass - Fender Hi-mass bridge, Gotoh Standard Bass Bridge or something else

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
eternity9
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Musicmaster Bass - Fender Hi-mass bridge, Gotoh Standard Bass Bridge or something else

Post by eternity9 » Thu May 11, 2023 1:57 am

Long time forum stalker, first time poster!

Picked up this '78 Musicmaster Bass and I'm in love. All original except for a crummy rattlecan refin but a perfect neck shape, extremely light yet balanced weight and a cool, plunky sound. Only issue I have is that it lacks a properly individually intonable bridge. I didn't pay much for it so I don't want to spend more than 50£-60£ on a new bridge but I also don't want to drill new holes that won't be covered up if I decide to revert to the original. The two I mentioned in the subject line look like they would work but if anyone has other recommendation in the price point I would love to hear them.

Cheers !

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Musicmaster Bass - Fender Hi-mass bridge, Gotoh Standard Bass Bridge or something else

Post by Sweetfinger » Thu May 11, 2023 4:29 am

I'd just stick with the stock bridge. I've never had much of an issue getting the intonation close enough on a two barrel Fender.

howdo3313
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Musicmaster Bass - Fender Hi-mass bridge, Gotoh Standard Bass Bridge or something else

Post by howdo3313 » Thu May 11, 2023 4:50 am

I had one of those basses when I was young.
It came to me with a Leo Quan Badass II bridge on it.
What a doodle doo, in a town full of heroes and villains

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Thu May 11, 2023 4:58 am

This could be good:
https://www.ampshopbassexchange.com/pro ... g-spacing/

I have used a Musicmaster Bass for nearly 15 years with the original bridge and never had any issue with intonation - it's not perfect but it works well enough that no one, including myself, can tell.