Aluminum Shield Filing

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
armensguitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Aluminum Shield Filing

Post by armensguitars » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:19 pm

Hi all, have very much appreciated the insights from this forum already. Wondering if anyone has any insight into how to best file down an aluminum shield on a Jazzmaster to fit the shrunken pickguard and body and not cause warping. Would using a dremel on the edges and punching new screw holes be enough?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Aluminum Shield Filing

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:45 pm

Dremel would work, honestly I might just try sandpaper if it's not more than a little bit.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

armensguitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by armensguitars » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:42 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:45 pm
Dremel would work, honestly I might just try sandpaper if it's not more than a little bit.
I have the impression so far that it will be quite a bit of the aluminum, as it would have to also be along the whole edge if I don't want it to poke out from underneath the guard.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:28 am

Is it fitted to the guitar currently? If so, I would use a really sharp, soft pencil to trace around the guard on to the aluminium as close to the guard as possible to give yourself a line where the aluminium needs removing.

Remove the guard and screw it down to a piece of scrap wood as quickly as you can to prevent shrinkage once it's off the guitar.

Then with tin snips cut off the part of the aluminium guard that protrudes.

Or, buy a repro aluminium shield and do the above steps. Keep the original in a safe place so you can put it back to original if you ever feel the need.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:02 am

You should be able to get a Bastard file from your local hardware store for ~$15. Look for a half-round version, with a flat side and a rounded side, to give you the most versatility. It should only take a few minutes to shave off the edges with that.
Doug
@dpcannafax

armensguitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by armensguitars » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:28 am

GreenKnee wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:28 am
Is it fitted to the guitar currently? If so, I would use a really sharp, soft pencil to trace around the guard on to the aluminium as close to the guard as possible to give yourself a line where the aluminium needs removing.

Remove the guard and screw it down to a piece of scrap wood as quickly as you can to prevent shrinkage once it's off the guitar.

Then with tin snips cut off the part of the aluminium guard that protrudes.

Or, buy a repro aluminium shield and do the above steps. Keep the original in a safe place so you can put it back to original if you ever feel the need.
The guard is on the guitar, the shield is not, due to the guard not fitting while the shield is on. I guess using a repro shield may be a good idea to avoid permanently messing up the original. However, I am of the opinion that these things have value only in their function so ideally would like to make the shield work with what I've got. Tracing idea is good, and I could likely align the two using the bridge posts then trace all the holes and edges from there. Thank you!

armensguitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by armensguitars » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:29 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:02 am
You should be able to get a Bastard file from your local hardware store for ~$15. Look for a half-round version, with a flat side and a rounded side, to give you the most versatility. It should only take a few minutes to shave off the edges with that.
I have some, I guess I was wondering more if the dremel could get me smoother edges or if its better to do it by hand. Thank you!