Change to pickup cover size from gold guard to later CBS?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Stphn74
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Change to pickup cover size from gold guard to later CBS?

Post by Stphn74 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:45 pm

I have a 1959 gold guard and body that I purchased and I put a parts guitar together around it from a combination of vintage parts from different eras. The pickup covers came from what I was told was a 66 jazzmaster. They are extremely tight in the gold guard though, where I can squeeze them in but then they are very hard to adjust the pick up height. I've tried reissue covers and they move freely. So, was there a change in dimensions at any stage?

I don't want to risk buying another pair of vintage covers and they being the same size.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: Change to pickup cover size from gold guard to later CBS?

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:52 am

i've owned two gold guards in the past and even with the original covers it was tight.

Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Highnumbers » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:00 am

Agreed, the pickup holes in my '59 gold guard are pretty tight fit for the covers. It's a good thing they don't shrink!

I had to put extra foam under the pickups and tug the pickups up through the guard to get the right height.

Do the reissue covers still fit over the '66 pickups (if you have them)?

Stphn74
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Stphn74 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:19 pm

Oh that's good to know they are known to be a tight fit. I don't have any vintage pickups to try, I use the Curtis Novak JMV and JMFAT.
Thanks for the replies!