1957 Jazzmaster Post At The G&L Discuusion Page

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
hobb_masta_flex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1957 Jazzmaster Post At The G&L Discuusion Page

Post by hobb_masta_flex » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:32 pm

In the issue of Guitar Player that I just received in the mail, there is a nice tribute written about George Fullerton. In it, they mention this prototype fiesta red Jazzmaster. Thought it was a topical tidbit of information.

MikeMaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MikeMaster » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:55 am

White switch tip?? m m m m m

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:00 am

But if this was his personal bits and bobs guitar to try out new things, the prototype body thing may be feasible.
But only if he glued in the screw where there was no wood...

The only way to tell if the body is from 1957 would be to look under the guard. I doubt they were psychic at Fender and knew they were going to go from a 9 hole, to a 11 hole and then to a 13 hole guard (let alone switch to plastic). Why would they have bothered to use the 9 hole anodized guard at all in that case?

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:39 am

From the seller's description in the thread, the neck and such were added much later ('61). They way I can see it happen is that Fullerton just grabbed that old body to piece something together in the 60s. But yeah, you'd have to look under the guard to be sure.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

ewheel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ewheel » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:42 am

Just to clarify, this guitar is not for sale. It was just a topic on another forum that I thought some of you here might be interested in. :whistle:

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:59 am

forget the hell whether this is a genuine 57 prototype JM, or whether the paint was hand mixed by the GEO of dupont especially for Fender, or whether George F will rise from the grave and play smoke on the water with this axe .....

the more pressing thing to comprehend is the implication of this statement :
The G&L Discuusion Page
what ????????????? there is a G&L Discuusion Page ??????

what do they discuss ? whether the G comes first or the L comes first
(in Korea I bet the L comes first...)

My brain has been fried by the concept of a G&L Discuusion Page ... I gotta have a drink...
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:42 am

ewheel wrote:Just to clarify, this guitar is not for sale. It was just a topic on another forum that I thought some of you here might be interested in. :whistle:
I was under the impression it's for sale by Buffalo Brothers? Or maybe it was, at some point.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:17 am

Yeah, it was for sale at least at one point. That was when we discussed it before.

ewheel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ewheel » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:57 am

sookwinder wrote:My brain has been fried by the concept of a G&L Discuusion Page ... I gotta have a drink...
Stay thirsty my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bc0WjTT0Ps

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:04 pm

I don't think this guitar was a '50s prototype but a guitar thrown together with prototype parts. The color is actually a tiny bit darker than Fiesta Red. I've seen this guitar in person about 3 times in the mid '90s (when it was at the Fullerton Museum). GF wanted to call the color Fullerton Red instead of Fiesta, etc.

So the body would have to be from '57 with that Color... what's under the guard is anyone's guess. The neck is probably the 'Veneer Prototype'. When I saw the guitar, I was told that it was ebony wood by the curators. Where did you guys hear it was vulcanized fiber? Makes sense, they were probably trying it out to save money perhaps??

About the pickguard, I'm going to assume GF 'upgraded' the guitar to final specs. I think I can see some sort of cut-out by the truss rod adjustment, it's just smaller. It looks like a Fender guard to me, has the wide bevel.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:15 pm

OffYourFace wrote:Where did you guys hear it was vulcanized fiber? Makes sense, they were probably trying it out to save money perhaps??
It was in the description when it was for sale, and the thread ewheel linked to has the Buffalo Bros. guy announcing he's going to say something special about the board. Given the arm wear spot, it has to be the same guitar as this one:

http://www.guitar-poll.com/gpol.php?page=jm1&lan=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:18 pm

sookwinder wrote: the more pressing thing to comprehend is the implication of this statement :
The G&L Discuusion Page
what ????????????? there is a G&L Discuusion Page ??????

hahaha! be nice! You know, I'm really into G&Ls these days. A friend of mine recently got a US made Legacy... late '90s or early 2000s, not sure. Anyway, I was blown away by the quality! The body was a really nice & light piece of Alder with really nice finish, not too thick! The back of the body had the little filled in router pin-holes. It felt like a brand new vintage Fender guitar to me! The contour of the neck was ideal for my taste. Some hate the 2-piece maple design but it doesn't bug me on bit.

The only thing is the tremolo bridge. I really like the saddles they use but I can't get into the big Fulcrum thing. I'd love to find a good hardtail Legacy (if there's such thing) and mod it with a Callaham 6-hole tremolo... or just a really good Asat Classic.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:19 pm

Orang Goreng wrote:
OffYourFace wrote:Where did you guys hear it was vulcanized fiber? Makes sense, they were probably trying it out to save money perhaps??
It was in the description when it was for sale, and the thread ewheel linked to has the Buffalo Bros. guy announcing he's going to say something special about the board. Given the arm wear spot, it has to be the same guitar as this one:

http://www.guitar-poll.com/gpol.php?page=jm1&lan=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oh that's right, you posted that before. Damn curators...

ewheel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ewheel » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:50 pm

Hey OffYourFace,

You got it right. It's built from prototype parts.

Here's what Tim from Buffalo Brothers posted about the fingerboard:

" It’s vulcanized fiber. In the early 1960’s, Fender was experimenting with a variety of different ideas and neck design was HIGHLY under review. And in the case of this neck, they were looking for an alternative fingerboard. At the time, pickup bobbins were cut out from big sheets of fiberboard. Mr. Fullerton told me they made a cut out the size of a fingerboard, compressed it, lacquer it, adhered it to the neck and inserted frets."

I'm kinda partial to G&L guitars too!

knathan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by knathan » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:09 pm

I love G&Ls- I'm still kicking myself for selling my ASAT- I'm always keeping my eye open for one. That was one of the best teles I've ever played.