New Member - need some advice on a '63 Jazzmaster Purchase

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
joeybsyc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Member - need some advice on a '63 Jazzmaster Purchase

Post by joeybsyc » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:38 pm

I'll be the first to say REFINISH that sucker... it's already been done once, so you're not taking any originality away... and I can think of about a dozen Custom Colors I'd like on there better than sunburst. (I'm not a burst guy) Not to say it's not cool as it is, it definitely is, but the fact that it's already been refin'd gives you the perfect opportunity to do it exactly the way you want. I'm thinkin' some surf green or sonic blue... ;) :)
Check out my little collection at http://vintagefenders.weebly.com

painted wood
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by painted wood » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:21 am

I say leave it as is...too many things can happen when/if you refin it...
1) you'll never get this look back again
2) if the finish is too thick, the sound of the guitar will be really bad...piano-like, and tone-encapsulated
3) it's tought to get a refinish right
4) you'll pay about $400 for a good refin and it still will probably change the tone

I :-* the look and sound of a raw wood Fender

bterry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bterry » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:20 am

Yes, I'm digging the finish, actually - it does resonate madly so perhaps part of the reason it sounds so killer is the fact that it just has that light, faded old clearcoat. I think it looks cool with the tort guard, too.

I'm trying to get some b pics together, including some of the neck pocket, etc. And I'll post those when I do if anyone's interested.