New Member - need some advice on a '63 Jazzmaster Purchase

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
bterry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New Member - need some advice on a '63 Jazzmaster Purchase

Post by bterry » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:04 pm

Hello -

Newbie, here - looking for some advice on a potential '63 Jazzmaster purchase.

First, the bad -

- body is a refin natural w/ a very thin clearcoat. Actually, I don't even know that you could call this a refin - you can still see the black of the sunburst finish all around the sides of the body (but very faded) and you can also still see a faint redness on the body from the original finish as well - looks like perhaps the owner just clear-coated the body without doing anything else to it. The original finish is still strong in the neck pocket and pickup cavities and all appropriate stamps and dates are there as well.

- The Klusons were replaced, probably at the same time in the 70's, with Schallers - these look to be off of a Tele Deluxe from the time or perhaps were just bought new. Anyhow, around '72 or '73. There is also a second string tree added.

Now, the good -

- other than the body refin and the Schallers it's original. Additionally, the parts, frets, nut, etc. are all in incredibly good shape. No rust anywhere - doesn't look like the guitar was even played much or if it was it was very well kept. I'm particularly excited about the neck as the fret ware is non-existent and the rosewood board is dark and looks almost new. The finish on the neck is original and is only rubbed of faintly around the 3-5 frets. The logo is original and mostly intact. As far as the sound goes, it's incredible and it plays really well - the neck is heaven-sent.

The Jazz also comes with the original blonde tolex case and it is in pretty good shape. No major issues...

I am really thinking this would be a great purchase, especially since I've always wanted a Sherwood Green or perhaps an Ocean Turquoise (yellow undercoat) w/ tort guard JM. 8)

But, I'm not sure on the price, especially in today's market - the seller wants $2600 and isn't budging. A couple of years ago I would have not blinked but how about that price today?

Anyhow - I'm tempted anyway because it really is the best playing JM I've picked up (i've owned 5 or 6 and played quite a few more) and I really want to baby it and refin it right...what do you think?

BT

teddy boy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Member - need some advice on a '63 Jazzmaster Purchase

Post by teddy boy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:34 pm

Hello bterry,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm no expert on Jazzmaster prices but it's not bad: http://www.vintageandrare.com/product.php?tmpPid=3696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The additional mods could bring the price down another couple hundred though. If you really want it walk in there with 2400$ and post pics here as soon you can!

kypdurron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kypdurron » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:25 am

For a european, this price is pretty good, but again, that cannot be the measure as the Dollar ist still weak ;) But if you care, it's not so far from to the shop price for an AVRI :whistle:

If you want a guitar mainly to play on it, and you are happy that it doesn't lose any value as long as you not damage it, these mods shouldn't be important to you. New tuners even may be better than the original one's, finish is not too relevant as long as it's not ugly. But if you want it as a collector and expect a value rise, of course these issues are a problem that should enable at least a little bit of downpricing.

How much I don't know - but can a seller accept to not let it go for cash in hand, if the offer is fair? Only if he has a better offer ...
"When we built the Stratocaster we thought that was the world's greatest guitar. Then we said let's make something even better - so we built the Jazzmaster"
(Freddie Tavares, Fender R&D 1953-1985)

phread
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by phread » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:46 pm

Definitely want pics! As far as the price, I've seen '63 necks go for about that much so it's not too outrageous!
Phread Cichowski
It ain't worth a dang if it ain't got that twang!

bterry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bterry » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Thanks for the welcomes and the advice, guys...

Ok - so, it sounds like this JM isn't too far off of baseline, then...which is good, cause I went for it and grabbed it today.

I'll take some more pics tonight or tomorrow but here's one that shows basically what it is. It's hard to see in this photo but you can kind of make out the black finish and the faint red finish still there.

What do you think?

Oh, and it came with the original bridge and trem bar, too...

BT

Last edited by bterry on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisFFTA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisFFTA » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:25 pm

wow, that looks lovely. interesting consitent looking tort as well. nice and congrats. i am desperate for a new vintage Jag day... wish i had of grabbed that one on here recently... :(

joeybsyc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by joeybsyc » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:33 pm

Looks like a winner to me! Congrats!
Check out my little collection at http://vintagefenders.weebly.com

spiffy chap
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spiffy chap » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:59 pm

bterry wrote:Thanks for the welcomes and the advice, guys...

Ok - so, it sounds like this JM isn't too far off of baseline, then...which is good, cause I went for it and grabbed it

Looks [pretty] cool IMO. Really like the finish!

bterry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bterry » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:03 pm

Now the question is: to refinish or not?

I'm kind of digging the workingman's brown finish!

ChrisFFTA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisFFTA » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:27 pm

i like it as is... no need to refin i reckon

phread
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by phread » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:59 am

I concur! Leave the finish as is! It's pretty darn cool looking!
Phread Cichowski
It ain't worth a dang if it ain't got that twang!

secndshft

Post by secndshft » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:10 am

I'd keep it as is. Very nice!

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:34 am

+1 on leaving it like it is. It's the weirdest finnish I ever saw. Like someone just didn't finish the sanding job and just went on and clearcoated it.
If you like how it sounds and play and can afford it, get it!
Otherwise you'll gonna feel bad afterwards...It's a rare ocasion to run into "the guitar"....
And, perhaps a bit pricey, especially considering todays economy...But still...
Anyway, to me it sounds like a better deal then just picking up something from the bay unseen and unplayed....

secndshft

Post by secndshft » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:40 am

Any chance you've taken the guard off? I am curious to find out what color was under there originally. With better/more pix I could almost convince myself that that was an employee swipe job from the line. It almost looks like it had a quick shot, then someone walked with parts one by one. I've heard of similar stories. It's easier to do with a Fender than a Gibson. A neck here, a pickup there and poof...you own a Jazzmaster.

bterry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bterry » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:22 am

Ha! Well, the original finish (sunburst) is strong and present in both the pickup cavities and the neck pocket. No soldering or messing around under the hood, either.

It is a weird finish for sure - I'll get some better pics up today but it really does just look like it was just lightly clearcoated and that's all - the black of the sunburst is even more present on the back of the guitar.

Got a chance to plug it in last night and whoa! Very strong pups! Sounds fantastic!