Re: Nice set of offsets in Hollywood for sale.... including Maple Neck White Jag...

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Re: Nice set of offsets in Hollywood for sale.... including Maple Neck White Jag...

Post by lalalandstudios » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:31 pm

Apparently Tom Petty has actually bought all of them already, anyone see the VG magazine with him on the cover and his guitar collection - unbelievable (although I thought he'd have a cleaner sonic blue Jaguar....)
I'm a reasonable man get off my case...

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:10 pm

Hollywood is LA...  especially as the guitar shops are concerned.  There are a couple others strewn about in other areas of Los Angeles county but the only guitar shops actually in LA city proper are probably pawn shops that are fronts for coke dealers and gun runners.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: Nice set of offsets in Hollywood for sale.... including Maple Neck White Jag

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:17 pm

lalalandstudios wrote: Apparently Tom Petty has actually bought all of them already, anyone see the VG magazine with him on the cover and his guitar collection - unbelievable (although I thought he'd have a cleaner sonic blue Jaguar....)
Actually, I did get that issue. He and Mike Campbell have one of the nicest collections ever. They both seem like cool guys though and it makes me happy to hear them say that every guitar they buy gets used. I understand the whole preservation debate and thinsg like that, but it's still sad to see guitars be put away where they won't be used anymore.

Justin.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Pop Rob
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Nice set of offsets in Hollywood for sale.... including Maple Neck White Jag

Post by Pop Rob » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:53 pm

You know, the price thing in Los Angeles has always been a problem.  Starting around '92 I spent a bit of time looking for decent or high quality vintage Jazzmasters and Jaguars.  I've repeatedly read in many discussion boards how Jags & Jazzmasters were to be had for so cheap because they weren't popular or whatever. 

Well, I guess that was up until the end of the 80s because most if not all the quality vintage Jags and Jazzmasters I ever came across in LA were at least $1000 or more. Oh, I came across quite a few for $300-$400 but they were so modded &  f'ed up they barely resembled the Jaguar or Jazzmaster they used to be.  (I wonder where all those guitars are now?)

I didn't have much coin back then consequently I didn' t buy much.  Now the damn things are selling for, like, $4000 to $6000.  Figures.

The only one I did buy was my '69 Jaguar around '92 or '93.  It was a refinished and needed a refret (which it got) but I still paid through the nose for it.  But only because it sounded so great.  I traded two guitars and a wad of cash to get my hands on it.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:28 pm

Oh, I came across quite a few for $300-$400 but they were so modded &  f'ed up they barely resembled the Jaguar or Jazzmaster they used to be.   (I wonder where all those guitars are now?)
They're on eBay... "100% original except..."   

L@@K! RARE!
Q. Are we not men?

lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:18 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
lalalandstudios wrote: Apparently Tom Petty has actually bought all of them already, anyone see the VG magazine with him on the cover and his guitar collection - unbelievable (although I thought he'd have a cleaner sonic blue Jaguar....)
Actually, I did get that issue. He and Mike Campbell have one of the nicest collections ever. They both seem like cool guys though and it makes me happy to hear them say that every guitar they buy gets used. I understand the whole preservation debate and thinsg like that, but it's still sad to see guitars be put away where they won't be used anymore.

Justin.
totally agree, they basically came out with a "we only buy 'em if we can play 'em and used 'em" approach which is great. these guitars are meant to be played and enjoyed (not abused though....)
I'm a reasonable man get off my case...

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:31 am

L@@K! RARE!
Doug - behave! Besides you missed an @ sign

L@@K! R@RE!
Last edited by Marc on Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes the cat has opposing thumbs and extra digits.

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:18 pm

I think I read somewhere that Mike Campbell is still touring with his original No-Caster, which would be super-$$$ to replace.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:56 am

flatfiver wrote: I think I read somewhere that Mike Campbell is still touring with his original No-Caster, which would be super-$$$ to replace.
It's not a nocaster- it's an honest-to-goodness Broadcaster and he's still touring with it!!  It's filthy, too.  Mike is alright by me, man.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:07 pm

whoa, crap - that's right!  A Broadcaster!!!  :o
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance