Re: Remember when...

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Remember when...

Post by fullerplast » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:47 am

.... this:

could be found on eBay for $750 just about any given week?

P.S. I couldn't find an option for mismatched or bent tuners in the dressing room... or a delete option for the bridge cover and trem arm!

:)
Q. Are we not men?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:04 am

I don't really remember .. when I was a student in Oz, Jazzmasters were out of my budget, and even after I started having a regular wage there and then over here in the UK I still just thought of them as something I could never afford.

If I had been clued in at the time I would probably own about 50 of them .. !

Interestingly enough, I once posted a picture of my stripped/humbuckered '62 on TGP while asking about the pickups (which were apparently '72 Gibson humbuckers .. both bridge pups .. go figure) and I had a couple of guys wanting to buy it off me 'cos they liked it just as it was (not that I was trying to sell it). So there are still people around who dig that aesthetic ..
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:19 am

I would probably own about 50 of them .. !
I did own at least 50 of them, between Jags and JMs combined. I bought them when they were cheap and mix/matched to make really good complete ones, and made money both on the whole ones and the leftover parts. Sadly, thinking it would go on much longer than it did, I only kept two of the best for myself.... only to end up letting both of them go too.    :'(

Oh well... I'm sure I'll run across a deal sooner or later.   :)

It's crazy, even as late as 2002 I was scooping up refins and sunbursts between $650 and $1200 USD. I never popped the "big money" ($1800 and up) for original custom colors though. I wish I had.... though the end result may have been the same.
Q. Are we not men?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:25 am

the prices are starting to go through the roof, it's true...I remember the $1400 for a stripped pre-cbs JM days....I just couldn't afford any.... :(

of course we're not is Strat/Tele territory...yet...but since it's the last long scalle vintage Fender, people are snapping them up.

I'd like to pick up one more '61 as a backup...but who knows when, or how much it'll cost by the time I have the money again....
Resident Spartan.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:58 am

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a sunburst '62 Jaguar for all of $1600.  That was all of four years ago.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:59 am

In 2001 I bought a black refin '63 JM for $650 (with white tolex case!) in a gear shop! It had three plugs in the headstock from being a former 9 stringer... but otherwise was good to go with original parts.

I had at least 5-6 Jimmy brown pre CBS JMs from $750 - $950.

My last really good JM deal was a '63-in-the-box' that popped up on eBay starting at $500 - I offered $1000 shipped and he ended the auction. It was original sunburst on the front, but stripped to wood on the back. Everything was in the box and original, except for some miscellaneous screws, one knob, and a strap button. The owner had taken it apart years ago, started to strip it for refin, and then abandoned the project. That was probably in late 2004.

Around that same time I snagged a CAR refin '64 for $1400.

I remember passing on a black '67 with matching head for $1200. I was in Florida then, so it had to be after 2003.
Last edited by fullerplast on Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:04 am

Maggieo wrote: I'm still kicking myself for not buying a sunburst '62 Jaguar for all of $1600.  That was all of four years ago.
Yeah... sunburst Jags were an incredible bargain up until recently! I remember when $1000 - $1600 was pretty much the norm. They were cheaper than an AVRI for the longest time.

They are just now topping 2K...
Q. Are we not men?

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:14 am

I got my Jag in june for $950.
I prefer their older stuff.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:15 am

fullerplast wrote:
Maggieo wrote: I'm still kicking myself for not buying a sunburst '62 Jaguar for all of $1600.  That was all of four years ago.
Yeah... sunburst Jags were an incredible bargain up until recently! I remember when $1000 - $1600 was pretty much the norm. They were cheaper than an AVRI for the longest time.

They are just now topping 2K...
...and it's just killing me!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:17 am

aen wrote: I got my Jag in june for $950.
Dang!

Excellent...
Q. Are we not men?

lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:02 am

Its true that prices have skyrocketed (no pun doug  ;)), but the bottom line is whatever seems high priced now, looks cheaper tomorrow.

I too remember buying a gorgeous white refin JM for only $800 when I first started out (o/w all original, and insanely flamed maple to boot),  and thinking that $1800 was crazy money for a clean slab LPB 62 JM. I also remember thinking at the time that $4500 was insanely expensive for an all original matching headstock BMM 64 JM, but I curse not having the $$ to buy that one to this day. In fact, they say that you never regret the ones you buy, only the ones you didn't buy....
I'm a reasonable man get off my case...

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:09 am

So true, wise words Frank.

This is what's making me feel more and more like shelling out the big bucks and getting something nice. It may hurt now, but I'll be glad later!
Q. Are we not men?