Toledo (Univox UC-2)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
anubi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Toledo (Univox UC-2)

Post by anubi » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:33 pm

emanon313 wrote: I've seen those over here branded as Aria Diamonds. Never played one but the last one I saw was in a seedy pawn shop & it had "Rhythm Rick" painted on the pickguard. I find it amusing that it's called a Toledo--of course there's the city in Spain, but here in my part of the world we have Toledo, Ohio, which is like Detroit's little brother. There's a White Stripes song that I forget the title of where Jack is singing "She's sending me to Toledo" which is a joke around these parts because it's not exactly a place people vacation. Some call it "Toileto". Once upon a time I played in a band down there. It's a cool guitar & I hope it works out for you--life's too short for everyone to play cheap Strats.
http://www.dickert.ca/Toledo/toledoguitarpage.htm

"All I can tell you is that these "Toledo" guitars were made by Aria Guitars of Japan under contract for the Canadian Conservatory of Music, a music school chain based in Toronto with braches all across Canada. The School went to Aria to supply them with playable and good value instrument that would be marketed to their own students. Everyone who has contacted this site has always commented on how well these guitars played, a testament to the roll of these guitars. The Conservatory imported Toledo branded Aria guitars through most of the 60's and early 70's. Any Toledo brand guitars found outside of Canada have been brought there buy their owners."

http://www.iqui.de/diamond/Diamond.htm

the body is very similar but not identical; the neck is different; pickguard is different and there is a switch which I believe is for rhythm/lead circuit like the jazzmasters... I like UC-2's neck better...

note: I still don't know which model is my Toledo... it's clearly the same as the Univox UC-2, but I think it's impossible to know the actual "Toledo" model name... guess they don't even gave her a name. let's call it Toledo UC-2 then...
Toledo UC-2, Squier JMJM | Yamaha RBX-270F
Boss ME-X [CS-3+OD-2r+OS-2], Boss ME-10, DOD DFX-94 | Boss ME-6B, Zoom 607
DeSalvo Tube30, Epiphone Firefly | Laney HCM-160B

Maukio
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Maukio » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:01 pm

Cool guitar, I absolutely love that body shape! I've been interested in a Univox UC-2 for a while, but I haven't been able to find one that I like for the right price. I know it's sort of a weird thing to be picky about, especially since there probably aren't a ton floating around, but I'm not too interested in sunburst or the UC-3.

I own a UB-1, it's basically a one-pickup shortscale bass version with that body style. It's been a pretty fun bass for the money, not the most flexible ever but oh well. I'll try and get some pictures up sometime. I've also been meaning to get a tracing of it for a forum member, I keep forgetting about that.
:-[

I recently acquired an Epiphone ET-270, which is pretty much the exact same guitar as the Aria Diamond except for a different headstock and color scheme. One big difference between your UC-2 and the Aria/Epiphone is that the pickups in the latter are actually P-90 type construction with bar magnets and a metal plate. I love how light the Epiphone is and the neck feels real nice, too. I've spent much more on guitars that have completely sucked, so I've been really pleased with these cheap unique guitars.

pacemaker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pacemaker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:07 pm

anubi wrote: anyway, please tell me more about it! I'm very curious and I can't wait to have her there...
Well, it's been many years now, but I recall that it was a fairly heavy guitar and felt pretty solid.As I said, it had a very glassy sound; it's possible the pickups may have had some out of phase settings - back then I didn't know about such things. ::)

I remember the neck feeling really nice, but the tuners being kinda crappy. If I had it now, I'd probably replace the stock tuners with vintage-style Klusons and have a bone nut cut for it. But wait and see how it arrives - it may be fine as is! I also really liked the headstock shape... it's obviously Fender-inspired, but it's slightly elongated and hockey-stick-ish... I just liked that for some reason.
anubi wrote: I need to get a vibrato arm, since the original one got lost... do you know what kind of arm does it fit?
I wish I could help you on this. Mine came without the arm as well and I never found one that would fit. I know I tried various STrat style trem bars and nothing works, which leads me to believe it wasn't threaded and maybe a Jazz/Jag bar would work? There are enough fans of that style of trem on here that someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to help you, I'm sure. Congrats again - can't wait to hear your report once it arrives!

anubi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by anubi » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:37 pm

Craig Gates wrote:
anubi wrote: anyway, please tell me more about it! I'm very curious and I can't wait to have her there...
Well, it's been many years now, but I recall that it was a fairly heavy guitar and felt pretty solid.As I said, it had a very glassy sound; it's possible the pickups may have had some out of phase settings - back then I didn't know about such things. ::)

I remember the neck feeling really nice, but the tuners being kinda crappy. If I had it now, I'd probably replace the stock tuners with vintage-style Klusons and have a bone nut cut for it. But wait and see how it arrives - it may be fine as is! I also really liked the headstock shape... it's obviously Fender-inspired, but it's slightly elongated and hockey-stick-ish... I just liked that for some reason.
anubi wrote: I need to get a vibrato arm, since the original one got lost... do you know what kind of arm does it fit?
I wish I could help you on this. Mine came without the arm as well and I never found one that would fit. I know I tried various STrat style trem bars and nothing works, which leads me to believe it wasn't threaded and maybe a Jazz/Jag bar would work? There are enough fans of that style of trem on here that someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to help you, I'm sure. Congrats again - can't wait to hear your report once it arrives!
well, I guess I'll go searching for the arm in guitar stores I know here in Rome... I'll just took the guitar with me and see which one fits... when I bought my first guitar (Jackson Stealth) it came without the vibrato arm too... took the guitar with me, and found a decent replacement... not exactly the same, but worked...

sadly, that guitar (the only one I have right now here with me) is now unusable, 'cause today, while I was playing, one of the floyd rose saddle broke, so now I'll have to replace the whole bridge, since the other saddles are not in a good shape either, some fine-tuners are dodgy, and the vibrato arm, as I said, it's not the right one... it's more cost-effective to change the whole bridge...
luckily, I also play bass, drums and synthesizers, so I guess I'll concentrate on some other instruments... (yes, I'm a one man band :) )

thanks for sharing your thoughts/experience!

p.s. sorry for the rant, it's just that I'm a bit angry when something is broken...

anubi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by anubi » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Maukio wrote:Cool guitar, I absolutely love that body shape! I've been interested in a Univox UC-2 for a while, but I haven't been able to find one that I like for the right price. I know it's sort of a weird thing to be picky about, especially since there probably aren't a ton floating around, but I'm not too interested in sunburst or the UC-3.

I own a UB-1, it's basically a one-pickup shortscale bass version with that body style. It's been a pretty fun bass for the money, not the most flexible ever but oh well. I'll try and get some pictures up sometime. I've also been meaning to get a tracing of it for a forum member, I keep forgetting about that.
:-[

I recently acquired an Epiphone ET-270, which is pretty much the exact same guitar as the Aria Diamond except for a different headstock and color scheme. One big difference between your UC-2 and the Aria/Epiphone is that the pickups in the latter are actually P-90 type construction with bar magnets and a metal plate. I love how light the Epiphone is and the neck feels real nice, too. I've spent much more on guitars that have completely sucked, so I've been really pleased with these cheap unique guitars.

I like that one! it's similar to the Aria 1802t (see previous page) but for some reasons I like it better... mostly because I don't like sunburst too much :D

what can you tell me about the vibrato arm? what type is it?

god, I can't wait for this guitar to be there, I looked at a thousand pictures of a hundreds guitars, liked dozens, and I think this one is the one I liked the most ever... its shape and color scheme are just what I was looking for... I'm already in love with it and it won't be there until xmas (or maybe early 2011? :'( )...

I hope I will get more inspiration that what my Stealth use to give me... I know look is nothing really in the end, but I never felt quite right with the Jackson... guess it's not "my" guitar...

wonder if I could do divebombs with it ;D I'm not into metal (I play darkwave/postpunk/indie) but I like to mess with harmonics and the vibrato arm sometimes :D

emanon313
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by emanon313 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:02 pm

I forgot about this, but the Epiphone version has a bit of notoriety as Kurt Cobain played one during the Bleach era. I'm sure it was destroyed at some point.
And if I'm not in a band, don't mean I'm square...and if I am, well then I don't care..

Maukio
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Maukio » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:57 pm

anubi wrote:what can you tell me about the vibrato arm? what type is it?
It's threaded, but not exactly like a strat trem arm. The size seems very similar, but the threaded portion stops about halfway down the arm and it gets really skinny. I made a terrible drawing that should give you an idea.

I'm not sure if the collet requires it to get skinnier at the bottom like that or not, I haven't taken it apart. However, I would assume that if it does you could simply cut off the excess portion of a strat tremolo arm. I'll try to get some pictures and measurements later.

emanon313 wrote:I forgot about this, but the Epiphone version has a bit of notoriety as Kurt Cobain played one during the Bleach era. I'm sure it was destroyed at some point.
I wouldn't be surprised if he accidentally did it, the neck joint isn't the strongest ever. One good Townshend-esque swing and it would probably snap off.

anubi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by anubi » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:30 am

Maukio wrote:
anubi wrote:what can you tell me about the vibrato arm? what type is it?
It's threaded, but not exactly like a strat trem arm. The size seems very similar, but the threaded portion stops about halfway down the arm and it gets really skinny. I made a terrible drawing that should give you an idea.

I'm not sure if the collet requires it to get skinnier at the bottom like that or not, I haven't taken it apart. However, I would assume that if it does you could simply cut off the excess portion of a strat tremolo arm. I'll try to get some pictures and measurements later.
very strange design! it seems it would be a PITA to find the right vibrato arm... I hope I'll find a decent replacement...

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:18 am

Craig Gates wrote:Well, it's been many years now, but I recall that it was a fairly heavy guitar and felt pretty solid.As I said, it had a very glassy sound; it's possible the pickups may have had some out of phase settings - back then I didn't know about such things. ::)

I had a white Univox and this sums up my memory of it perfectly. Heavy, solid, pretty crappy tuners. In the neck position, that switch got in my way too. All that said, I wish I still had it and will replace it when the right one pops up at the right time.

valley_parade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by valley_parade » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:43 am

emanon313 wrote:life's too short for everyone to play cheap Strats.
If I ever get a time machine, I'm a) making 16-year-old me buy that '73 Mustang and b) changing the quote in my high school yearbook to that.

anubi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by anubi » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:30 am

valley_parade wrote:
emanon313 wrote:life's too short for everyone to play cheap Strats.
If I ever get a time machine, I'm a) making 16-year-old me buy that '73 Mustang and b) changing the quote in my high school yearbook to that.
c)win some lotteries by knowing the numbers before... :whistle:

valley_parade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by valley_parade » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:23 am

Actually, c would be "Audrey Hepburn". :whistle:

anubi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by anubi » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Craig Gates wrote: I'd probably replace the stock tuners with vintage-style Klusons and have a bone nut cut for it. But wait and see how it arrives - it may be fine as is!
thinking about it, of course now it's too early to speak, anyway maybe something like that -> http://guitar-machine-heads.com/hp30521 ... -Liste.htm <- would be good enough...

emanon313
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by emanon313 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:04 pm

This is what I want:
No, that's not a photochop--12 strings & a whammy! As Neil Young once said about his Bigsby "You already were in tune"
And if I'm not in a band, don't mean I'm square...and if I am, well then I don't care..

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:40 am

Fabio - amazing guitar, congratulations. I'll answer your pm here.

This is the original arm I have on the MOTORIK - it fits both matsumoko trems I have here with no problems. I've no explanation for the narrow tip mentioned above, and it's certainly not needed for the ones I have.

The rod is 3/16" diameter, with a thread pitch of 10-32, so it's exactly the same thread as a skinny american strat arm (and a standard truss rod). Don't know off hand how the shape and length matches a strat arm, but anyone who makes their own truss rods could knock one up for you fairly easily based on those pics and you could have it chrome plated for a few dollars. I might even be persuaded to run off a few myself if there's enough interest for a batch.