Is vintage worth the price?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
tonewoods
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is vintage worth the price?

Post by tonewoods » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:00 pm

XF6YH wrote:I still can't wrap my head around why a CAR Fender Jazzmaster should be thousands upon thousands of dollars.
Bargainistic compared to something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1963-FE ... 500wt_1199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XF6YH
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by XF6YH » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:20 pm

tonewoods wrote:
XF6YH wrote:I still can't wrap my head around why a CAR Fender Jazzmaster should be thousands upon thousands of dollars.
Bargainistic compared to something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1963-FE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 500wt_1199
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Whoa, well we can think Hendrix for this. It's a good thing he never played Jazzmasters and Jaguars that much. Who knows, maybe if NO ONE ever did then we wouldn't like them as much...
The following is false:
The above is true.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:43 pm

depends on the guitar and how much you want it. not every vintage guitar is worth the price just like not every new guitar is. when i play guitar my main is a late 60's columbus hollowbody guitar that was a present. do i like it because its vintage? not really. i like it because its a great guitar that was fairly well looked after (modded for p-90's and a bigsby however) so many people come under the illusion that vintage is better. same with people who dismiss gear for being old. rather than focus so much on years i think people should focus more on the instrument and how well it fits in with what they do.

we had a simalar conversation in my computing class about old cars.
are they worth the money? not always
are they better built? not always
are they faster? not always
are they more fun? not always.

it depends on whatever it is. if you buy a instrument your not likely to play just because its from the 60's then theres no real point in owning it unless it has sentimental value if you ask me.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Harrison
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harrison » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:42 pm

I agree with the statement that if it makes you feel good owning vintage then own vintage,and same for re-issue. The thing that keeps me buying RI or parting guitars together is the price on some of this "L@@K VINTAGE!!! BLAH" ebay stuff that just isn't worth what they're asking. I look through through stuff on craigslist and ebay all day sometimes and most of the posts I just think to myself ,good luck selling that for that price. I do hope to someday own a vintage Fender, and its probably based soley on the mythical mojo but also because I love the history and the idea of passing it down in my family even if it doesn't appreciate in monetary value.