Pics of Non-Matching Custom Color Pegheads??

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Dakota@Lizzies
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Pics of Non-Matching Custom Color Pegheads??

Post by Dakota@Lizzies » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:42 pm

I do, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to post images on here, you find pics of it on both my store's facebook and twitter, Lizzie's House of Axes.
Leo had never finished the trem, but you can see all his scribe lines. It is basically a modded jazzmaster tremolo. I have a beat 66 jazzmaster I was planning on building into a sort of homage to it. But it is the real deal, as far as I know there are only 2 prototypes known to exist, as Leo threw em on a band-saw when he was done typically. But I have all the documentation.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 017493816 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Very cool. A red champion stripe would set that one off so well...

guitarsammy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitarsammy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:06 am

Old thread, I know, but I've been digging around on this subject recently and also found the photo below, which I assume is of real vintage Jazzmasters from the 50s and 60s, several of which are without matching headstocks (apparently the photo is from the Chinery Collection). Also suggests that tortoise guards sometimes came on custom colour guitars too, unless someone had been swapping pickguards around on these?

Can't help but think that these days I prefer a custom colour Jazzmaster with a plain headstock (although that might be confirmation bias speaking because I recently bought an Ocean Turquoise American Original!).

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by algeriet » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:24 pm

guitarsammy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:06 am
Old thread, I know, but I've been digging around on this subject recently and also found the photo below, which I assume is of real vintage Jazzmasters from the 50s and 60s, several of which are without matching headstocks (apparently the photo is from the Chinery Collection). Also suggests that tortoise guards sometimes came on custom colour guitars too, unless someone had been swapping pickguards around on these?

Can't help but think that these days I prefer a custom colour Jazzmaster with a plain headstock (although that might be confirmation bias speaking because I recently bought an Ocean Turquoise American Original!).

Wow, what a friggin' unreal collection.
Thanks for posting it. I've been having issues figuring out which colour to go with for my '63 refin viewtopic.php?f=41&t=116870 as it was original sunburst and sports its original tort guard and original decal. It being tort makes the refin job much more difficult. I'm open to all kinds of suggestions!

guitarsammy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitarsammy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:13 am

algeriet wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:24 pm
Thanks for posting it. I've been having issues figuring out which colour to go with for my '63 refin viewtopic.php?f=41&t=116870 as it was original sunburst and sports its original tort guard and original decal. It being tort makes the refin job much more difficult. I'm open to all kinds of suggestions!
You'll get a lot of people on here telling you that, to be vintage correct, tort can only be married to a sunburst, white or maybe blonde finish. That photo I linked to above does suggest this may be incorrect, assuming those guitars are unmodified.

However, I definitely think tort looks busy at the best of times, and doesn't really suit a gold, red, pink, green or blue custom colour. It looks pretty amazing with a black finish, though, and there's one like that in my photo. I think I've seen one or two charcoal frost JMs with tort online, too, and that can look good (especially with dark tort).

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:53 am

guitarsammy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:13 am
algeriet wrote:
You'll get a lot of people on here telling you that, to be vintage correct, tort can only be married to a sunburst, white or maybe blonde finish. That photo I linked to above does suggest this may be incorrect, assuming those guitars are unmodified.
It is known that Tort was available for any order, but the custom colours were normally shipped with a white guard, which is why the vast majority of custom colour models to survive have white guards(or white guards that discolored to mint), with the exception of white and blonde.

This makes it tricky to tell if a custom colour is a refin or not, and has led to some confusing discussions. I don't think the consensus here is that tort couldn't be original on a CC, just that it's very hard to know for sure.

That Chinery set of Jazzmasters is out of this world. If I owned them, I wouldn't be able to pick one to play. I'd stare at them all day and take pictures, and probably hate myself eventually. LOL
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Twang!
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Twang! » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:31 am

Seeing this post made me think of this that’s an exclusive in the U.K. I don’t have a jazzmaster or any thing shell pink.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/ ... -exclusive

But white headstock!

Can’t cope with, hopefully no one else can and they end up in the sale ;D

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:32 am

Twang! wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:31 am
Seeing this post made me think of this that’s an exclusive in the U.K. I don’t have a jazzmaster or any thing shell pink.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/ ... -exclusive

But white headstock!

Can’t cope with, hopefully no one else can and they end up in the sale ;D
Oh damn- that's a cool look. Although the white/cream/Oly white dissonance might start to bug me if I look at it too long.

Maybe if it had a maple board? :freako:

Twang!
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Twang! » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:42 pm

Oh damn- that's a cool look. Although the white/cream/Oly white dissonance might start to bug me if I look at it too long.

Maybe if it had a maple board? :freako:
[/quote]

It’s a strawberry sundae with all the trimmings.... You’re taking out choc and adding caramel :-X

I hope I don’t buy one.......

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:58 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:53 am
guitarsammy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:13 am
algeriet wrote:
It is known that Tort was available for any order, but the custom colours were normally shipped with a white guard, which is why the vast majority of custom colour models to survive have white guards(or white guards that discolored to mint), with the exception of white and blonde.

This makes it tricky to tell if a custom colour is a refin or not, and has led to some confusing discussions. I don't think the consensus here is that tort couldn't be original on a CC, just that it's very hard to know for sure.

That Chinery set of Jazzmasters is out of this world. If I owned them, I wouldn't be able to pick one to play. I'd stare at them all day and take pictures, and probably hate myself eventually. LOL
Yeah, it's not that "if it's tort it's 100% a refin," it's "if it's tort, there's no way of knowing if its original." It gets really muddy. I'm guessing a lot of the non matching custom colors in the photo above are factory refins, which was a service that Fender used to offer. You buy a sunburst JM, and a couple of years later you send it in for new paint. It comes back with a non matching headstock and the original tort guard.

lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:01 pm

What I’ve learned to be true :

Fender had strong tendencies with regard to matching headstocks and color/guard but no absolute rules - many exceptions exist

Prior to mid 62 non matching headstock custom color JM were more common, after that much less common

White and blond usually got tortoise guards, most other custom colors white guards but many exceptions exist, especially prior to mid 62

If you find a custom color with tort there are features/ findings when present to help determine originality - you can tell

Fender factory refins have distinct features that are easy differentiate from non Factory

Factory refins could always get new guards or necks or other upgrades at owner’s request - so don’t assume those Chinery guitars weren’t completely original

You can keep your original tort guard and unpainted headstock, and paint your guitar in just about any early pre cbs color you like and bet fender did the same just like in the day

This 62 is completely 100% original

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by algeriet » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:27 pm

lalalandstudios wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:01 pm
What I’ve learned to be true :

Fender had strong tendencies with regard to matching headstocks and color/guard but no absolute rules - many exceptions exist

Prior to mid 62 non matching headstock custom color JM were more common, after that much less common

White and blond usually got tortoise guards, most other custom colors white guards but many exceptions exist, especially prior to mid 62

If you find a custom color with tort there are features/ findings when present to help determine originality - you can tell

Fender factory refins have distinct features that are easy differentiate from non Factory

Factory refins could always get new guards or necks or other upgrades at owner’s request - so don’t assume those Chinery guitars weren’t completely original

You can keep your original tort guard and unpainted headstock, and paint your guitar in just about any early pre cbs color you like and bet fender did the same just like in the day

This 62 is completely 100% original

You seem to always have the best Jazzmasters, haha! 😎