1965 D&B LPB Jaguar ... all greened out (pics pg.2)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

1965 D&B LPB Jaguar ... all greened out (pics pg.2)

Post by Despot » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:01 pm

... absolutely nothing to see of a greened out '65 LPB Jaguar variety.

But perhaps tomorrow evening...
Last edited by Despot on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: Nothing to see here.

Post by Telliot » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:07 pm

:w00t:
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:23 pm

Telliot wrote: :w00t:
I'm checking it out tomorrow ... got a heads up from someone about it. At the very least I'll take plenty of pr0n. Not sure what it's like, but the words "greened out" & "LPB" were mentioned.

He had me at hello...

TWood
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TWood » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:57 pm

If it's at all like frusciante's jag from bssm I will envy you forever
Tom

rexter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rexter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:43 pm

Bound neck? Could be heaven...

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:55 am

I'm not sure if it's B&B or pre-B&B yet ... but I'll be dropping up to the store during lunch later, so I should know a bit more in a few hours.

This is typical ... I've been looking primarily for an old Jazzmaster in Ireland for years, then two pop up at once and my holy grail Jaguar at the same time! I was doing inventory last night in my head before falling asleep trying to figure out what I could stand to sacrifice in this January Offset Madness (it's my version of counting sheep). Lots will probably change in the next few weeks if this all works out. At a minimum I'll be getting a Jazzmaster out of this lunacy I hope!

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:51 am

Okay ... so I've been to see it.

The Bad
- I didn't get to play it! The Jaguar was taken in as a trade yesterday and the store owner had taken it apart to check dates and the like ... when I arrived it was without strings, bridge and with the neck off... :(
- The frets need to be replaced - they're full of divots.
- There's no original case (a dodgy home made case instead).
- It's an A width neck.
- The chrome parts have all oxidised really heavily ... it's basically been left in a case for 20 odd years in a shed or something. The guard has also shrunk, but is original.

The Good
- It's D&B! Neck stamp is Dec '65. Binding is in perfect shape, and the neck profile is my favourite - mid 60s chunky C. And the lacquer is all original, worn down from play and feels amazing.
- The finish. It's LPB that has entirely greened all over the body and headstock. The headstock is extensively checked, but otherwise perfect. This guitar is so extensively greened that it looks like OTM (yes, think of Frusciante's Jag in the Under The Bridge video). Apart from one area on the contour where the clear coat has worn off a little bit and the original LPB in the neck pocket, this guitar is entirely greened out. And it looks awesome!
- All pickups/wiring are original and all work (well, their output when tested is correct).

So it's an 'issues' Jaguar ... it's a narrow nut with the original chrome parts (except the trem unit) in pretty poor shape. But the finish is beautifully worn and all original. Once it's had a new nut and refret it should be good to go - obviously here's no string tension on the neck today, but it looks straight and the truss rod works.

I've taken some photos with the iphone, but can't upload until later when I get home ... but I'll stick a few shots of it up ... even though it's in pieces right now.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:54 am

Okay ... so I've been to see it.

The Bad
- I didn't get to play it! The Jaguar was taken in as a trade yesterday and the store owner had taken it apart to check dates and the like ... when I arrived it was without strings, bridge and with the neck off... :(
- The frets need to be replaced - they're full of divots.
- There's no original case (a dodgy home made case instead).
- It's an A width neck.
- The chrome parts have all oxidised really heavily ... it's basically been left in a case for 20 odd years in a shed or something. The guard has also shrunk, but is original.

The Good
- It's D&B! Neck stamp is Dec '65. Binding is in perfect shape, and the neck profile is my favourite - mid 60s chunky C. And the lacquer is all original, worn down from play and feels amazing.
- The finish. It's LPB that has entirely greened all over the body and headstock. The headstock is extensively checked, but otherwise perfect. This guitar is so extensively greened that it looks like OTM (yes, think of Frusciante's Jag in the Under The Bridge video). Apart from one area on the contour where the clear coat has worn off a little bit and the original LPB in the neck pocket, this guitar is entirely greened out. And it looks awesome!
- All pickups/wiring are original and all work (well, their output when tested is correct).

So it's an 'issues' Jaguar ... it's a narrow nut with the original chrome parts (except the trem unit) in pretty poor shape. But the finish is beautifully worn and all original. Once it's had a new nut and refret it should be good to go - obviously here's no string tension on the neck today, but it looks straight and the truss rod works.

I've taken some photos with the iphone, but can't upload until later when I get home ... but I'll stick a few shots of it up ... even though it's in pieces right now.

AwesomeWelles
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AwesomeWelles » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:54 am

Did you ask for a price?

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:58 am

AwesomeWelles wrote:Did you ask for a price?
I believe we are in what can best be described as 'negotiations'.

I'm informed that a trade will be necessary ... which works for me I guess. I want to see how it is when it's put together. I also want to see how I get on with the A width neck/nut when it's strung up and playable. It feels okay at the minute, but impossible to tell how it will play.

Arc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:14 am

I don't think there would be a huge difference at all. If the bridge is the same width as stock strings would be fairly spaced after the 3rd fret more or less..

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:20 am

Yeah, but it'll feel cramped enough for open chords surely...

That said I've played Mosrites and the narrow nuts didn't put me off ... just the super skinny necks (something I can never get along with). At least this neck has a good bit of heft to it.

Lets see. It's going in for the refret tomorrow or Monday, so it'll be a week or two before it's 'done' and I can get to play it.

Let's hope the pr0n tides us all over until then when I post it later!

rexter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rexter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:33 am

Looking forward to it Despot!

A necks are pretty rare right? It would be my choice actually, in a dream world. For me nothing beats a narrow but chunky neck. D&B as well, right to your taste eh? Excellent...

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:47 am

A necks are rare, but not incredibly rare. I think C width necks are more difficult to find ... and I've only ever read about D width necks and I'm not entirely sure they were made in any number at all.

I've a thing about D&B necks ... on any make of guitar.

This one should be nice. It's still a question of seeing whether the price/trade deal is reasonable enough - as nice as it is to find an LPB Jaguar, I would prefer a B neck and for the original chromeware to be in better condition. I guess things like the guard/control plates can be swapped out easily enough though...

rexter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rexter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:10 am

D necks? Christ... never heard about them, must be like a classical guitar.

It does sound like a cool looking guitar but I guess in an ideal world you wouldn't want to replace a lot of vintage hardware and parts if you could avoid it??

One thing's for sure with a re-fret it should be comfy to play. I used to love virtually non-existent vintage frets a while ago but since discovering larger gauges I've never looked back and a refretted vintage guitar kind of has a stronger appeal to me.

Anyway, can't wait for those pics!