1965 D&B LPB Jaguar ... all greened out (pics pg.2)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1965 D&B LPB Jaguar ... all greened out (pics pg.2)

Post by Despot » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:06 pm

cestlamort wrote:All are just stunning. I really like that Marlinburst one, in all honestly. The tuners and extra string tree are slight a detraction, but not much. Contrats.
Thanks. I'm OCD about stuff like that though ... it'd bug the hell out of me every time I took it out of the case. Less the tuners/string tree, and more the spaghetti decal. That's the killer. It just looks completely imbalanced without the transition logo (and I must admit that I've always preferred that logo to any other in Fender's history).

It's just so close to being perfect ... I couldn't let it be. The refinish job is actually pretty cool and unique - with the headstock sorted this will a seriously great looking Jazzmaster.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:good lord.

dibs on anyone of these!
Hahaha
It's funny because I know you're not joking!

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:33 am

The great thing about postal/delivery tracking is knowing where the stuff is.

The bad thing about postal/delivery tracking is knowing where the stuff is!

I've got a serious jones to play these two Jazzmasters now ...

Must. Learn. Patience.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:43 am

First we had TRADECEPTION 2013, then TRADEMEGEDDON 2014...

This place is phantastiq. :-*
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:49 pm

Telliot wrote:First we had TRADECEPTION 2013, then TRADEMEGEDDON 2014...

This place is phantastiq.
It's worked out to be so over the top that I had to 'megeddon it. ;)

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Wow! 3 vintage guitars on the post at the same time!
I'd totally freak out all the time.
And the most difficult thing will be comparing 4 Jazzmasters.
I bet they will all sound good but different enough from one another to justify keeping them all. ;D
enjoy the trip!

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:02 pm

Hey Otis - well ... two out of three so far ... it'll be a couple of weeks yet before I know whether or not the Jaguar is going to be coming my way.

Having been on the cusp of importing a '65 or '66 in original sunburst from the US a few times last year, I always thought to myself "no, wait, a good one will turn up in the EU". I don't mind paying import duty on stuff, but with an effective rate of 25% it would have been about 1,000 euro in tax and charges on top of any purchase price, and that's a lot of change.

On the 21st December an ebay auction on a '69 Jazzmaster in sunburst that I'd been watching ended at 1,800 euro. I'd built up enough savings to go for that, but I was distracted by Christmas drinks with some old friends and so completely forgot to watch it before it ended. :fp: I kicked myself all over Christmas - that would have been a great price for a '69.

But I guess it all worked out okay in the end. :)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 pm

oh man, it's all coming together!!

so glad to hear you've scored some amazing offsets!!! 8) 8) 8)
Resident Spartan.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:32 pm

zhivago wrote:oh man, it's all coming together!!

so glad to hear you've scored some amazing offsets!!!
Thanks Yannis. :)
It took a while, but it's working out nicely.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:48 am

Andrew's old Jazzmaster has just arrived at my work place!

Now I have to maintain composure and patience and wait until this evening to try it out...

My first impression on opening the case - it looks great. Andrew had mentioned that it isn't the lightest Jazzmaster he's ever had, but it's not a boat anchor either - probably about the same weight as my old Thin Skin. The finish is quite flat rather than glossy, which suits it.

The skinny nut, from my brief messing here at work before I packed it away again, is about what I expected. It's an unusual feel, but I can fret open chords without fingers getting in the way every which way, so while it wouldn't be the type of Jazzmaster I'd order, I can live with it...

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:18 am

Looks like you are having a ball. I was thinkin; 'woah steady on, many similar purchases, you might not have enough time to bed them in'...but then I thought; 'Jesus, you have three cars of the same model (across generations), chill the fuck out!'

Looks like you snagged some nice guitars.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:38 am

shadowplay wrote:Looks like you are having a ball. I was thinkin; 'woah steady on, many similar purchases, you might not have enough time to bed them in'...but then I thought; 'Jesus, you have three cars of the same model (across generations), chill the fuck out!'

Looks like you snagged some nice guitars.

D
Thanks for that Shadowplay.

To be honest this has all sort of worked out weird ... I didn't plan to end up with both Jazzmasters (I was hedging my bets, having been beaten to the post a couple of times last year on ebay/local offers). My thinking has always been that I can easily sell one of the Jazzmasters down the line if they don't bed in and at least cover my costs on them. But I know now looking at the blue one that this will never happen... I'll end up keeping them both.

I'm the same way with guitars as you are with cars.

vastrange
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vastrange » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:01 am

great guitars Despot!
That sonic blue one is to die for!
Congrats! You deserve them and they deserve you!
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:04 am

Update...

So the Jaguar is now re-fretted and back together, so I had my first chance to play it today. The A neck isn't really an issue ... this one has a big chunky well worn neck and the added girth seems to tame the narrow nut somewhat. It plays great.

It also sounds great ... and the biggest surprise for me was that the bridge pickup sounds pretty damn loud - I've very rarely found a Jaguar (admittedly all new US AVRIs or the Marrguar) with a bridge sound that I could get on with. This guitar is more like a telecaster in terms of output ... the neck is nice, but there's a noticeable boost in volume and gain when you switch to the bridge pickup. Both pickups are original by the way ...

Now comes the hard part - whether or not to take this. The issue is that the LPB makes this a little more expensive than I'd like (the seller's price is actually okay ... it's just that if I wanted a '65 Jaguar I could find a B neck in sunburst for 1,000 less). So that means that I'll have to pick this up on trading gear. And he's made it clear that one of the things he really wants in any trade is my ES-345 (2008 model) that I originally bought from him. As much as I love this jaguar, it'll be a rarer used guitar than my Jazzmasters. But the more I think about it the more I realise that the 345 gets left in the case as I use the 355 much more often. I do know that I would miss the 345 ... it's a fantastic playing and sounding guitar, but I guess it comes down to what value is there in having a guitar that I seldom use.

The trade deal is turning into a bigger deal (to make it worthwhile as most of the things I have for trade value either leave me trading one item and a good wad of cash, or else having to get cash back on two guitars, which I know he won't want to do. There's also a Guild X150 (beautiful beautiful guitar in Fiesta Red that sounds better than most dyna sonic Gretschs I've played over the years) that's pretty cheap (nobody wants to buy a guitar that says Guild if they've a thing for a Gretsch, even though I much prefer this Guild), and a CIJ Gretsch Elliot Easton that's pretty lovely.

So ... much to mull over this evening. He's holding on to it for me while we 'negotiate' terms... there's no question about whether I want this guitar, I just don't want to have to give up too much gear in trade to get it.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Man, you gotta get this. How often do these come up at all, let alone in your neck of the woods. You could flip this worldwide for a profit in no time if it didn't work out.

Unless you had a mighty good bond with one of the ES guitars i wouldnt sweat it. You could easily find another down the road.
I would definitely favor my JMs more too, but I would love to have the right Jag again someday. Only reason I got rid of mine was to help fund my 66 JM.

Great to hear about the bridge pickup. Must be something about vintage Jags. My old 66 had a GREAT sounding bridge pickup. Very twangy and bold.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.