how many BASS VI are in the house ?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
bassVIst
Expat
Expat

Re: how many BASS VI are in the house ?

Post by bassVIst » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:56 pm

teddy boy wrote:
eupat wrote: that target burst looks ace !! :?
It's killer! I love how the CS does burst!
agreed
:?

SPudnik
Expat
Expat

Post by SPudnik » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Welcome to Club VI!

Does this make 50 VI people?
Bass VI - A What?

teddy boy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by teddy boy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:02 am

SPudnik wrote: Welcome to Club VI!

Does this make 50 VI people?
Thanks SPudnik! Glad to be a part of the crowd!
"and in the land of star-crossed lovers and barren-hearted wanderers, forever lost in forsaken missives and satan's pull, we seek the unseekable and we speak the unspeakable"

peter_s
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peter_s » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:24 am

teddy boy wrote: New member calling in!

Just received my2009 CS  Bass VI a week ago. I'm so pleased! I love the thing! My favourite instrument by far at the moment. I'm tying it out at the moment in B-B tuning with a 16-56 set and it works like a dream although I'm going to have to tweak the gauges a little more still.

Weird thing is I got it straight from the custom shop and it has a crack in the finish all the way down the back of the guitar. They also forgot to put the foam on the mute. I checked, it was built on a monday (26th Jan) so that explains alot. But I got a fair price reduction for these faults and they are going to send me a new mute so I'm happy! I took the mute off for now because it looked a little silly without the foam but I'll put it back on once I get the new one.

Enjoy, I know I will!

Looks great! :)

teddy boy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by teddy boy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:29 am

Thanks peter_s!

I'm definately in the honeymoon period still and carry the guitar to work etc. Thank god my work is of the academic type...
"and in the land of star-crossed lovers and barren-hearted wanderers, forever lost in forsaken missives and satan's pull, we seek the unseekable and we speak the unspeakable"

supersonic1414
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonic1414 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:39 am

Wow, great to see other Bass VI lovers.  I have a 62 (with the strat style pick ups) and original case.  It is in amazing condition and I am told it is one of the first 25-30 ever made....Safely in my closet as I only use it for recording now.....Thinking of getting a Schecter Hellcat VI to use live...

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:42 am

Sounds cool, I'm sure we'd all love to see some pictures of it.  :)
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

bassVIst
Expat
Expat

Post by bassVIst » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:49 am

supersonic1414 wrote: Wow, great to see other Bass VI lovers.  I have a 62 (with the strat style pick ups) and original case.  It is in amazing condition and I am told it is one of the first 25-30 ever made....Safely in my closet as I only use it for recording now.....Thinking of getting a Schecter Hellcat VI to use live...
does it have the "VI" on the headstock?

have you ever checked the neck heel for a pencil scribble date?

what color??
we'd all love to see it!

peter_s
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peter_s » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:41 am

teddy boy wrote: Thanks peter_s!

I'm definately in the honeymoon period still and carry the guitar to work etc. Thank god my work is of the academic type...
Yes, you seem to be a lucky bloke! :)
bassVIst wrote:
supersonic1414 wrote: Wow, great to see other Bass VI lovers.  I have a 62 (with the strat style pick ups) and original case.  It is in amazing condition and I am told it is one of the first 25-30 ever made....Safely in my closet as I only use it for recording now.....Thinking of getting a Schecter Hellcat VI to use live...

what color??
we'd all love to see it!
So true. Please post pictures! :)

supersonic1414
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by supersonic1414 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:59 am

peter_s wrote:
teddy boy wrote: Thanks peter_s!

Yes, you seem to be a lucky bloke! :)
bassVIst wrote:

what color??
we'd all love to see it!
So true. Please post pictures! :)
It does have the VI on the headstock...If I remember right (it's been awhile) the neck date was very early 62.  It is sunburst, amazing condition, has only the 3 toggle switches, as they added the 4th strangler in late 62 models.....I originally bought a 63 or 64 olympic white one, but it turned out the pickups and electronics were totally fried on it, so a friend of mine who owned a vintage shop went on a hunt for me and tracked this one dow,...It is beautiful.....I will break it out for some pics and post them soon.......I am a diehard Cure fan, so it was always my dream guitar ....and the only one of the many vintage ones I have owned that i have not stupidly sold or traded over the years

bassVIst
Expat
Expat

Post by bassVIst » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:13 pm

supersonic1414 wrote:
It does have the VI on the headstock...If I remember right (it's been awhile) the neck date was very early 62.  It is sunburst, amazing condition, has only the 3 toggle switches, as they added the 4th strangler in late 62 models.....I originally bought a 63 or 64 olympic white one, but it turned out the pickups and electronics were totally fried on it, so a friend of mine who owned a vintage shop went on a hunt for me and tracked this one dow,...It is beautiful.....I will break it out for some pics and post them soon.......I am a diehard Cure fan, so it was always my dream guitar ....and the only one of the many vintage ones I have owned that i have not stupidly sold or traded over the years
NICE
:D
nothing sounds better than a 1st Generation VI to me...
i'm surprised the guys in the Cure don't own more of 'em

my pencil scribble is 2-62
but i think my pots date to May... i forget at the moment

i think some of the 2nd Generation VI's have neck stamps that say June (i don't have all my photos on my laptop)
but pots are also a lil later...

SPudnik
Expat
Expat

Post by SPudnik » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Damn.

You guys and your multiple VIs...
::)
I got one but I'd sure like to have at least one or two more.
No $ tho.
Bass VI - A What?

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:42 pm

bassVIst wrote:

what color??
we'd all love to see it!

Yeah man, bust it out!    There's an early 1st Gen. VI at the hollywood GC right now, does NOT say VI on it.  They only want $10k for it  ::)  They'll probably get it since that shop is only for movie stars & naive kids who just got a huge recording advance.

bassVIst
Expat
Expat

Post by bassVIst » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:41 am

OffYourFace wrote:     There's an early 1st Gen. VI at the hollywood GC right now, does NOT say VI on it.  They only want $10k for it  ::)   They'll probably get it since that shop is only for movie stars & naive kids who just got a huge recording advance.
man i wish someone could document all of those...
i once exchanged emails with a collector of the "1961 Fender VI"
he had several!

i think most of the pencil scribbles were 10/61

there was one on ebay that had tons of photos
markings and all...

i think i lost those pics when my hard drive fried

i'd once been told there were only about 100 1st Generation VI's
i'm finding that harder and harder to believe...

i was also told that the ones that were produced before the headstock decal were made for trade shows
not so sure about that either

i mean... if there are more than several of 'em out there that are known
how many are unknown?
same with the 1st Generation VI's in general...
i've seen so many on ebay in the past 9years, i would think there'd HAVE to be more than 100 in existence

how much more, i dunno...

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:00 pm

My CS Bass VI finally arrived last Thursday. I'm not thrilled about the white pickguard but overall I'm pleased as can be to finally have one.

I accepted a compromise regarding the 'burst vs natural finish in view of the fact that they are no longer even accepting orders for the VI but that white guard has got to go IMO.