XII pickups....

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
DarrelT
Expat
Expat

Re: XII pickups....

Post by DarrelT » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:37 am

Hey, I'll send you my Maverick (if you paint it  ;) )

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:57 am

CurtisNovak wrote: I really so NO reason why thy arent the same Fender was rather frugal and reused a lot of parts.  I mainly want someone that can install them in one to test the string spacing and give it a sound test.
Curtis,

Duncan's Custom Shop did the XII pickups that were used in the late 1990s Squier Venus XII. They are a bit pricey (well, that's what having a name does, I suppose). Maybe some of us who are interested could pony up for one of those which could then be sent to you and used as the basis for your versions (perhaps with overwound/humbucking options etc).
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:36 pm

Yes .. I'm no expert on pickups, but would the winding perhaps be different for bass vs 12-string pickups? .. ideally, at least.

Having said that, the Bass VI pups are standard Jag pups I believe so we have a precedent of Fender putting guitar pups in basses .. plus, if your Electric XIIs didn't sell so well then it's exactly the sort of thing Fender would do to drop a bunch of leftover pups into a student bass.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:17 pm

mezcalhead wrote: Yes .. I'm no expert on pickups, but would the winding perhaps be different for bass vs 12-string pickups? .. ideally, at least.

Having said that, the Bass VI pups are standard Jag pups I believe so we have a precedent of Fender putting guitar pups in basses .. plus, if your Electric XIIs didn't sell so well then it's exactly the sort of thing Fender would do to drop a bunch of leftover pups into a student bass.
Musicmaster Basses and Guitars shared the same pickups as well, so this assumption certainly isn't without precedent. I can't speak to the windings but I know that each "half" of the Mustang Bass pickups have two magnets as opposed to three for the XII. I suppose if someone wanted to buy a Mustang bass pickup (granted they are Japanese, and most people would argue that the MIJ/USA difference in JM and Jag pickups is distinctive enough to not really consider them "the same" pickup) we could test them out.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:31 pm

mjet260 wrote: I can't speak to the windings but I know that each "half" of the Mustang Bass pickups have two magnets as opposed to three for the XII.
Ah .. duh .. yes of course .. so I guess it's only the pup covers that are potentially the same stock item.

Okay, I'm getting to the point of just buying a bloody XII myself and conducting extensive scientific research on it!
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:41 pm

I wonder if these could be made with a flat blade magnet on each half of the pickup which could work for basses, 6-stringer or 12-stringers equally well?

Here's a DiMarzio P-Bass pickup for reference

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:45 pm

Hi - by a twist of fate I own a reissue mustang bass and Fender XIIs.... the pups are identical in construction as far as I can see albeit the mustang bass has plastic bobbins... but the covers are the same.
Yes the cat has opposing thumbs and extra digits.

offsetwaistbody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offsetwaistbody » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:15 pm

Marc wrote: Hi - by a twist of fate I own a reissue mustang bass and Fender XIIs.... the pups are identical in construction as far as I can see albeit the mustang bass has plastic bobbins... but the covers are the same.
which brings me to ask (particularly curtis and marc)... could a set of pole pieces be push fitted into japanese re-issue bass pickups?
http://www.basspartsresource.com/bass_p ... ustang.htm

offsetwaistbody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offsetwaistbody » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:19 pm

hang on a minute... when enlarging that GPR photo, it looks like the fender japan mustang bass pickups have bar magnets under the cover! or am i seeing things?
can anyone confirm this?

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:26 pm

offsetwaistbody wrote: hang on a minute... when enlarging that GPR photo, it looks like the fender japan mustang bass pickups have bar magnets under the cover! or am i seeing things?
can anyone confirm this?
You're seeing things, unfortunately. Here are some vintage Mustang Bass pickups on eBay that ended recently with a full set of photos (including a few without the covers).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0040404226

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:20 pm

I think I may have not made myself clear, I was only referring to the cover looking the same NOT the actual pickup.
All I need is 1 cover to make a pattern for a pickup to fit inside it.
As a side note it is quite common for the lower end basses to have guitar pickup in them.  I recently made a custom bass pickup for a guy that has a MusicMaster bass that had a guitar pickup in it.  I just need some general measurements and string spacing.
Gonads are useful for their purpose, but are NO substitute for brains.

---

[url=http://www.myspace.com/curtisnovak]www.myspace.com/curtisnovak

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:29 pm

But you also want someone to test it out on a real XII, right?  Thats the part I couldn't help with.

But I'm about that () close to buying a set a covers and sending one on to you. I'm not building a XII but I'd really like to see this happen.
Q. Are we not men?

DarrelT
Expat
Expat

Post by DarrelT » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:35 pm

mjet260 wrote: You're seeing things, unfortunately. Here are some vintage Mustang Bass pickups on eBay that ended recently with a full set of photos (including a few without the covers).
Are you telling me that Fender Japan is making the Mustang Bass pups just like the originals?
Looks like a bar to me too, BUT I just looked at my Maverick and the covers have the same appearance.
Looks like a bar, but it's not a bar.

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:22 pm

fullerplast wrote: But you also want someone to test it out on a real XII, right?  Thats the part I couldn't help with.

But I'm about that () close to buying a set a covers and sending one on to you. I'm not building a XII but I'd really like to see this happen.
Yes I need someone w/ a guitar that is enough together to test them, and give me some feedback on them.  As for the covers if you know you will be needing them, you might want to get them before he raises the price to $50!
Gonads are useful for their purpose, but are NO substitute for brains.

---

[url=http://www.myspace.com/curtisnovak]www.myspace.com/curtisnovak

Mr M
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr M » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:11 am

i got a message from steve after i sent him my question on sunday...

i got this yesterday

"PAYPAL $48.97 to steve@angela.com by 10AM Eastern Standard Time tomorrow morning and I'll ship out two sets the same day. You're welcome, of course, to buy one set at a time through our E-Bay store.
Steve Melkisethian/Angela Instruments/www.angela.com"

so yeah i'm too late plus i didn't have the money in my paypal....

but last night before i checked out this thread again, I went to GC and gave a story like i wanted to buy the RI Mustang bass just for the pickups. Well I got them to get the pickguard off but they dude wouldn't take the pups off the pickguard so i could trace them. so i told him i wasn't interested  because the pups only had 2 poles in the bottom...

so damn....