"Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
User avatar
sir h c
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:24 pm

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by sir h c » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:29 pm

gishuk wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:52 am
That looks like maybe its had some kind of B-bender system in it at one point from the shape of the patches
Agree.

User avatar
mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by mgeek » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:02 am

sir h c wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:29 pm
gishuk wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:52 am
That looks like maybe its had some kind of B-bender system in it at one point from the shape of the patches
Agree.
Wouldn't that have meant there'd be a hole behind the bridge? The one part of the body that doesnt' have a hole in it... I was thinking some batshit electrical stuff but still can't get my head round why all the round holes on the back.

Love the way it's been filled with random bits of wood with no attention to grain direction, or using ash or anything. :fp:

Sorry I don't know how to add pics, it's a goodun

User avatar
bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 546
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:18 pm
Location: Potton, England

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by bdf83 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:37 pm

mgeek wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:02 am
sir h c wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:29 pm
gishuk wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:52 am
That looks like maybe its had some kind of B-bender system in it at one point from the shape of the patches
Agree.
Wouldn't that have meant there'd be a hole behind the bridge? The one part of the body that doesnt' have a hole in it... I was thinking some batshit electrical stuff but still can't get my head round why all the round holes on the back.

Love the way it's been filled with random bits of wood with no attention to grain direction, or using ash or anything. :fp:

Sorry I don't know how to add pics, it's a goodun
From the look of the routing on the back it would be one of the strap benders. You can see the same shape on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k4337pXrtQ

User avatar
mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by mgeek » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:26 am

ah yep, I get ya, the bit that pulls the string is round the back...They shoulda just left it unfilled, at least it'd be light! ;D

User avatar
Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:27 am
Location: Middle of the Baltic Sea

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by Ceylon » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:10 am

My first thought was B-Bender too, since the shape of the routed section is more or less spot-on.

Maybe they started routing it without realising the traditional B-Bender design wouldn't work on a Strat?
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 641
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:18 am

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by X-Ray Spex » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:03 am

Whatever happened here, laughably overpriced as per usual https://reverb.com/item/34471731-fender ... -1966-nero
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 15629
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:04 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:03 am
Whatever happened here, laughably overpriced as per usual https://reverb.com/item/34471731-fender ... -1966-nero
the photos are also pretty bad. like the first one, i cant tell if there's something wrong with the ass of the guitar.

but i think we have another stumpy
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:11 am

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by rbrcbr » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:25 am

No clue why you'd do anything like this but apparently this guy's specialty is doing these conversions - https://reverb.com/item/33526446-wide-n ... mond-pcsgc

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 799
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:06 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by SignoftheDragon » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:45 am

rbrcbr wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:25 am
No clue why you'd do anything like this but apparently this guy's specialty is doing these conversions - https://reverb.com/item/33526446-wide-n ... mond-pcsgc
NOOOOO!

*EDIT* Oh, wait- I thought it was a 12string to begin with.

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 15629
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:39 pm

i'm more insulted by that nut. i could cut a better nut with my feet
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
Boxbie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by Boxbie » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:56 pm

I had one of those De Armond 7 string s-100s. It was $900ish new. The shop guy sold it to me for $300 just to get it the f*#k out of the store!
Thought I could coax some interesting music out of it.
I failed. It was a turkey.
Not sure I am sold on the famous wood carvery skills of Indonesia as a selling point either!

User avatar
sir h c
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:24 pm

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by sir h c » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:32 pm

At least make the extra tuner hole for a cigarette or something.

User avatar
invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Manta Sonica, California

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by invisible man » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:13 pm

sir h c wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:32 pm
At least make the extra tuner hole for a cigarette or something.
That’s what the ashtray tele bridge cover is for
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

User avatar
joeSG100
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:18 am

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by joeSG100 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:07 am

rbrcbr wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:25 am
No clue why you'd do anything like this but apparently this guy's specialty is doing these conversions - https://reverb.com/item/33526446-wide-n ... mond-pcsgc

Image
Image
Image
i've been down the rabbit hole that is that guy's youtube channel, loads of weird guitar conversions

User avatar
tribi9
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9580
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Canada Dry

Re: "Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?"

Post by tribi9 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:16 pm

The eagle has landed. 🦅

Image

Post Reply