good luthier in Belgium/ the Netherlands for Jazzmaster rest

Bringing your older offset back to life.
otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

good luthier in Belgium/ the Netherlands for Jazzmaster rest

Post by otis » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm thinking about a refret and a fingerboard restoration mainly.
I need a trustable person to do this. I just don't want this fingerboard to be messed up completely.
Here's a pic of the sanded down fingerboard of my '64 Jazzmaster
Notice how the wood has been gradually taken away the closer you come to the next fret.
Here's the original NGD thread
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 1&t=101379
Thanks for your thoughts
Tom

will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: good luthier in Belgium/ the Netherlands for Jazzmaster

Post by will » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:48 am

Do you want someone to re-fret it without sanding the fingerboard? It looks like someone sanded away the finger-wear divots. It might be very difficult to avoid chipping since the frets are sitting on little hills of rosewood.

PaulDesmondTutu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PaulDesmondTutu » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Vox Humana in Vlaardingen might be able to do it. Also, I've never dealt with him before but I know a few people who adore his work:

https://www.guitarlounge.nl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…"

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:42 pm

will wrote:Do you want someone to re-fret it without sanding the fingerboard? It looks like someone sanded away the finger-wear divots.
Interesting thought- I wondered if it was a terrible attempt to sand out a forward bow that the trussrod wasn't helping.

Either way, I'd think very carefully about the desired end result in this situation. Partial new fretboard could get it close

I'd be tempted to go for a full reboard, assuming finding a decent piece of wood is possible. It'd be the only way to have a fully OCD satisfactory, invisible repair, but it's the sort of thing only worth entrusting to a really good luthier, who can properly apply an accurate veneer board, and install the frets from the side etc...

Is the neck itself really nice, or might it be worth looking out for an identical one from the era and selling this one to go part way to covering the cost?

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:14 am

mgeek wrote:
will wrote:Do you want someone to re-fret it without sanding the fingerboard? It looks like someone sanded away the finger-wear divots.
Interesting thought- I wondered if it was a terrible attempt to sand out a forward bow that the trussrod wasn't helping.

Either way, I'd think very carefully about the desired end result in this situation. Partial new fretboard could get it close

I'd be tempted to go for a full reboard, assuming finding a decent piece of wood is possible. It'd be the only way to have a fully OCD satisfactory, invisible repair, but it's the sort of thing only worth entrusting to a really good luthier, who can properly apply an accurate veneer board, and install the frets from the side etc...

Is the neck itself really nice, or might it be worth looking out for an identical one from the era and selling this one to go part way to covering the cost?
Oh no,no!
I don't want to loose the fretboard. It's part of it's vintage vibe, I think.
Probably a restauration would prove impossible without adding some more rosewood, but I'm not thinking of drastic things.
Opinions are welcome cause I'm not very technical myself.
Any way, I won't replace the guitar or it's entire fretboard.
A solution will come, I'm sure... :)

will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by will » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:57 am

It doesn't look so bad (to me at least!) that a fretboard replacement is a sure thing.

Maybe a bit of sanding with a radius block after the frets are removed will make things acceptable. You just might want to tell the luthier that does the work that you're okay with some imperfections. I've seen some boards that were sanded so thin before a refret that the fret tangs are well into the maple part of the neck. ...it looks kinda crude!

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:40 am

I can (highly) recommend Stijn Kenens in Antwerp. He has done this before, and he maintains the guitars for Ruben Block. Maybe contact him?

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:55 am

MrFingers wrote:I can (highly) recommend Stijn Kenens in Antwerp. He has done this before, and he maintains the guitars for Ruben Block. Maybe contact him?
Thanks for the contact; I send him a message.