First post - superb matt finish question

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Fogster
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

First post - superb matt finish question

Post by Fogster » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:10 am

HI all, my first post on here so hopefully I put this in the correct section!

I was at the UK Guitar show last weekend and saw this guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... GheXtHdRxY

I dont usually play guitars at shows but this was gorgeous and even seem to make me play better! Unfortunately it was well out of my price range, but I'm doing a Jazzmaster build at the moment and looking at finishes. The video doesn't quite do it justice, but it had a matt/satin super thin finish that from a distance looked almost like smooth velvet. Up close is was like a super smooth satin over a sanded back blue stain.

The I chatted to the guitar maker who said it was a 'special' oil. Fair enough if he wants to keep his trade secrets and I'm not trying to rip him off, but just wondered if any of the guys out there with finsihing experience knew of anything similar or how it might have been done?

Tough call without actually seeing the guitar, but any help appreciated!

Fogster :-*

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: First post - superb matt finish question

Post by DeathJag » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:56 am

I’m doing a matte guitar, getting it done actually! I am hoping for a similar finish, and I was told it’s called “flat” not “matte” and that it’s possible. I’m not sure it will be the same feel, but I hope it is...

Fogster
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Fogster » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:05 am

Cheers DeathJag, maybe if they are ok with it they might tell you how it was done? Hope it turns out good for you!

Fogster

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:15 am

I feel like one of the "OG" users wrote that you can get that kind of look with 1500 sandpaper over poly or something. I forget! Seems only slightly risky...

Fogster
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Fogster » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:02 am

Yeah, seems sanding looks like the way to go but this guitar felt like it had some kind of top coat on it, and the way it reflected the light was something else. Maybe I'll have to email the makers and beg a bit...!