Fender VI Bass restoration

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Mashdown
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender VI Bass restoration

Post by Mashdown » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:12 pm

Hello all,

I've just recently picked up the remains of my late fathers Fender Bass VI from a guitar tech who we dropped it of quite a long time ago for a bit of a major restoration job. We really wanted to try and get it restored to its original sunburst and get all of it back together again, but it was quite a hefty job for them to even get the original paint off!

The current condition returned is a laquered wood with a dark single colour sunburst around the edge.

Im wondering if anyone has had a guitar in a similar finished condition and if its feasible to add on the remaining two colours to complete the sunburst effect as 3 tone on-top of what looks like a nitro cellulose lacquer with a bit of light sanding, or if it would need sanding right down to the bear wood again to do a full 3 tone effect ?

Thanks,
Adam

will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender VI Bass restoration

Post by will » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:18 pm

It should be able to be finished up without being sanded down as long as the finish is still in great shape - not filled with dents and scratches from being knocked around in a repair shop for a long time.

Mashdown wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:12 pm
Hello all,

I've just recently picked up the remains of my late fathers Fender Bass VI from a guitar tech who we dropped it of quite a long time ago for a bit of a major restoration job. We really wanted to try and get it restored to its original sunburst and get all of it back together again, but it was quite a hefty job for them to even get the original paint off!

The current condition returned is a laquered wood with a dark single colour sunburst around the edge.

Im wondering if anyone has had a guitar in a similar finished condition and if its feasible to add on the remaining two colours to complete the sunburst effect as 3 tone on-top of what looks like a nitro cellulose lacquer with a bit of light sanding, or if it would need sanding right down to the bear wood again to do a full 3 tone effect ?

Thanks,
Adam

Mashdown
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Fender VI Bass restoration

Post by Mashdown » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:50 pm

Thanks Will, I will give it a try once I get all the bits in! There is the odd small dent from the workshop (mostly on the rear) but Im not too precious about getting it to showroom finish. I'm probably going to be cutting out a control plate which went missing and will need to do a new pick guard as the original had warped beyond use. As long as I can get it together and play well I'll be happy :)

cheers,
Adam