62 Bass VI...Finally!

Bringing your older offset back to life.
eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 62 Bass VI...why oh why?!

Post by eggwheat » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:21 pm

bulrich wrote: It certainly is original. I can even see a faded neck stamp underneath the sharpy marking.

Thanks Paul, I'll give you a ring.
-Brian
cool...what will you do for tuners though? Actually I've always wondered this...cos the fender VI tuners are unique..bigger slots and holes to accept the bass strings.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:14 pm

eggwheat wrote: cool...what will you do for tuners though? Actually I've always wondered this...cos the fender VI tuners are unique..bigger slots and holes to accept the bass strings.
I've read this a couple of times here .. but have to say that the Klusons on my 67 are just normal common or garden double line Klusons... nothing different about them.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

bulrich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bulrich » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:53 pm

On my USACG replica I used Kluson tuners. Never had a problem with them though I mostly use the Fender VI string set.
http://www.notifbutwhen.com/2/Offset-Basement.JPG

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:35 am

sookwinder wrote:
eggwheat wrote: cool...what will you do for tuners though? Actually I've always wondered this...cos the fender VI tuners are unique..bigger slots and holes to accept the bass strings.
I've read this a couple of times here .. but have to say that the Klusons on my 67 are just normal common or garden double line Klusons... nothing different about them.
Well I have to say yours are not original then..All VI 's have unique tuners..the slots are cut a lot wider and the whole in the center is drilled bigger..right from 61 to 75..some strings will not fit if you dont have proper VI tuners. To be honest im really suprised I thought this was common knowledge.

Pics: Jag

VI tuners

Last edited by eggwheat on Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

tsalwel
Expat
Expat

Post by tsalwel » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:03 am

sure is

:)

d
music ALLways
music  IS my motor

bulrich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bulrich » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:49 am

Yes understood but what I am saying is the newer Klusons work with the Fender string set without making any modifications.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:54 am

sure...the fender set are built for normal tuners..sook..i had a look at the picture you posted of your '67..it looks like it has proper VI one's on it to me anyway.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:02 pm

It certainly is original. I can even see a faded neck stamp underneath the sharpy marking.
Looks like someone "altered" the original stamp with a marker. Perhaps to make their own mark?

Perhaps some gentle rubbing might bring the origial stamp from underneath....

If the headstock could be brought back to it's original state, that would be super nice.... Always like to see something brought back to live....
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

bulrich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 62 Bass VI...my oh my... [Update}

Post by bulrich » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:02 am

Ok. Been whittling away at this thing. So far I've removed all the parts, got most of the ugly Poly finish off by using a hairdryer to soften it and then peeling it off (like an orange!). Tedious but worthwhile (hopefully). I initially contacted a local Fender dealer who contacted Fender and originally it seemed like I might be able to get a replacement neck but then they realized it was only available from the custom shop. So it'll be worth it to try and restore it.
I managed to get the crummy veneer off both sides of the headstock, it's really been butchered.

It looks like the best way to get it back to even slightly what it once was is to add the sides and shape of the headstock and then maple veneer the front and back so as to rebuild the bulk of the headstock. Hopefully it'll all be structural. Any recommendations for glues?

I also noticed other curiosities, the pup leads had been altered from the original. Perhaps this has something to do with the 3 way selector switches that were on the bass. I'll be putting them back to on/off style ones but not sure if these resoldered leads will make a difference. May send to Novak to have his restore them.

The control plate (volume, tone) has been slightly bent upwards, maybe from aggressively pulling out a chord, which has cracked the chrome plating. I have a NOS control plate on my USACG VI so maybe I can switch those out.

Originally was Oly White which is still in the trem route. To refinish it in natural must've taken quite a bit of wood off to remove the finish/dyes. Anyone know if Fender was doing the yellow dye in 62?

The neck date had clearly faded or been removed when refinned the first time, so it was markered in:
I assuming that this was a weak attempt to recreate the stamp as '6NOV 62A' or something close.

I found a guy who has vintage single line klusons but very expensive, may not be worth it.
The journey continues....
Last edited by bulrich on Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:11 am

...considering the amount of work that will likely have to go into repairing that headstock and the refin, I wouldn't sweat getting a vintage pair of klusons.  Buy a new pair and do some tasteful aging and it should look fine.  I like the Stew Mac method of scuffing up the tuners a bit and then putting a little etchant solution on a q-tip and applying lightly and just coating on until your satisfied with the results.  Visually that will get you 99% there except for the pat numbers under the tuner plate that aren't visible from the outside anyway.   
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:23 am

bulrich wrote:
I found a guy who has vintage single line klusons but very expensive, may not be worth it.
I'd say most certainly not worth it unless they are the proper "Fender VI" type Klusons. Otherwise you'll still have a guitar with the wrong tuners on it....Fender obviously still make the correct type for the custom shop jobs...is there a way to get some of them?

bulrich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bulrich » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:43 pm

Are these the same tuners as the Jaguar Baritones?

Does anyone have contact email/info for Fender or the CS?

eupat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eupat » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:30 pm

on my Baritone Custom, the tuners are the same as the ones on my MIJ Jaguar.
and it cames with Bass VI strings stock.
...wish that helps!
si t'as mal aux cervicales, arrête le métal!

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:40 pm

eggwheat wrote:
bulrich wrote:
I'd say most certainly not worth it unless they are the proper "Fender VI" type Klusons. Otherwise you'll still have a guitar with the wrong tuners on it....Fender obviously still make the correct type for the custom shop jobs...is there a way to get some of them?
I didn't even know they were different tuners until very recently, but are they the same but just filed out a bit or are they different altogether?  Is the tuner shaft larger or the route for it?  If not, couldn't you just carefully file back a regular Kluson tuner - I mean, could this be how it is done anyway?  Very curious here...
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

bulrich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bulrich » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:56 pm

I could file them as that really is the only difference. I'm looking mostly to return the bass as close to original. (though I'll mostly likely give into Inca Silver temptations;)

Today I worked on polishing the parts and they sure were a mess. Covered in muck, poly, and even the original finish. The pickup metal surrounds were the worst.

After some mighty elbo grease, aided by thinner and Finesse It, they are born again!:

Everything else polished up nice as well.

In other good news, I scored a vintage control plate and a mute! I've been looking for one for ages and won't put it on the 62 (62's didn't have em) but will hold onto it for a future project.