1962 Fender Jazzmaster Restoration

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Rocktronaut
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: 1962 Fender Jazzmaster Restoration

Post by Rocktronaut » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:23 pm

This one looks absolutely gorgeous. I'm not a big fan of black guitars in general but this one rocks. Kudos!

infiniteposse
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by infiniteposse » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:01 pm

Zombie thread resurrection.

How did you manage to get the guard over the tall thimbles? I'm dealing with the same issue right now and can't find a solution spelled out.

Thanks!
Lee

kracdown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kracdown » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:22 pm

infiniteposse wrote:Zombie thread resurrection.

How did you manage to get the guard over the tall thimbles? I'm dealing with the same issue right now and can't find a solution spelled out.

Thanks!
I think I ended up taking the thimbles off of the body (and the guard came off with them) and then figured it out from there... Just place a soldering iron in the thimbles for a few seconds and pull them out with the tool of your choice. I seem to recall this being easier once the thimbles were out of the body.

infiniteposse
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by infiniteposse » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:32 pm

kracdown wrote:

Thanks!
I think I ended up taking the thimbles off of the body (and the guard came off with them) and then figured it out from there... Just place a soldering iron in the thimbles for a few seconds and pull them out with the tool of your choice. I seem to recall this being easier once the thimbles were out of the body.
Thanks for the tip!

Any concerns about how potentially flammable the tort guard is? I've heard horror stories about them catching on fire really easily. I guess yours didn't though, so that's promising.
Lee

kracdown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kracdown » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:56 pm

infiniteposse wrote:
kracdown wrote:

Thanks!
Thanks for the tip!

Any concerns about how potentially flammable the tort guard is? I've heard horror stories about them catching on fire really easily. I guess yours didn't though, so that's promising.
If you're careful with the soldering iron I don't think you'll have a problem. Just put it in for a few seconds to slightly heat it up, not get it really hot.