Help with Univox/Aria UC-2 Minor Restoration

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Help with Univox/Aria UC-2 Minor Restoration

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Sun May 15, 2016 12:39 pm

My girlfriend has had this guitar for about 10 years. She used to have a Univox and grabbed this for like $200 at a pawnshop. (Cool GF, I know! :w00t: :-* )
I think it's an Aria branded Univox. I saw one on Reverb not too long ago but forgot to save the pics.
Anyway, I cleaned it up and linseed oiled the fretboard, replaced a few screws, found a washer for the jack, and found some knobs on ebay.

The things I need help with finding are a switch tip, and a nut for the tone pot. I thought they'd be standard 'import' size but they're actually a little smaller. :wacko:
I think repro trem arms can be had on ebay, but I'd like to at least be able to get the knobs on because if i can't find parts, then I'll have to replace the electronics and I don't really want to utilize my amateur soldering skills, lol :-[ :D

Pr0n!

Tear apart:

Dirty wood:

Oiled neck:

UC3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help with Univox/Aria UC-2 Minor Restoration

Post by UC3 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:37 pm

If those are original pots labeled “Tokyo Cosmos, PR-18, B500kΩ” or “Tokyo Cosmos B500kΩ”, then the nut will most likely be a metric, fine thread, M7 x 0.75. The nuts were available on amazon after a quick google. However, eBay is your friend also. Guitars are being parted out or upgraded all the time. Look for Matsumoku wiring harness and if the back of the pots are Tokyo Cosmos brand, you're in business. Never hurts to have spares.

The original nuts came in two different sizes. The nominal distance “across flats” was either 9mm or 10mm.

The washer dimensions were ~ 7.25mm I.D. x 12mm O.D. and were made of 0.41mm thin aluminum.

The threaded shaft/post that the nut threads onto is ~ 6.9mm in diameter.

Unfortunately, you’ll have a difficult time with the washers if you need them. They fall between the current metric standards, and the nearest English equivalent is rather large at 9/32(7.1438mm) x 5/8(15.88mm). The English versions are also much thicker than the originals. Perhaps some current Pot washers would work, I haven't checked.

The switch tip is another story. When I was actively collecting, they were rarely there. You can mod a stratocaster switch tip - the ones that are "conical" in shape. They have a slot in the "fat" end or "base". That slot goes all the way through before it stops just before the "peak" or "tip". File or sand the tip/peak until you reveal the slot. Now, place it on the switch lever "upside-down" and you have an "OK" solution. All you need to do is fill the original slot with some black epoxy and you should be good to go.

Good luck

grapesoda
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by grapesoda » Sun May 15, 2016 8:46 pm

Looks amazing! Good luck finding the extra parts.

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Mon May 16, 2016 4:18 am

UC3 wrote:If those are original pots labeled “Tokyo Cosmos, PR-18, B500kΩ” or “Tokyo Cosmos B500kΩ”, then the nut will most likely be a metric, fine thread, M7 x 0.75. The nuts were available on amazon after a quick google. However, eBay is your friend also. Guitars are being parted out or upgraded all the time. Look for Matsumoku wiring harness and if the back of the pots are Tokyo Cosmos brand, you're in business. Never hurts to have spares.

The original nuts came in two different sizes. The nominal distance “across flats” was either 9mm or 10mm.

The washer dimensions were ~ 7.25mm I.D. x 12mm O.D. and were made of 0.41mm thin aluminum.

The threaded shaft/post that the nut threads onto is ~ 6.9mm in diameter.

Unfortunately, you’ll have a difficult time with the washers if you need them. They fall between the current metric standards, and the nearest English equivalent is rather large at 9/32(7.1438mm) x 5/8(15.88mm). The English versions are also much thicker than the originals. Perhaps some current Pot washers would work, I haven't checked.

The switch tip is another story. When I was actively collecting, they were rarely there. You can mod a stratocaster switch tip - the ones that are "conical" in shape. They have a slot in the "fat" end or "base". That slot goes all the way through before it stops just before the "peak" or "tip". File or sand the tip/peak until you reveal the slot. Now, place it on the switch lever "upside-down" and you have an "OK" solution. All you need to do is fill the original slot with some black epoxy and you should be good to go.

Good luck
Thanks for the specs! :)

I'll look for some of those nuts. I thought of flipping a Strat switch tip too. That's what it looked like when I googled pics of UC-2s and -3s

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:28 pm

Well, finally got the nuts I ordered off of ebay and they didn't fit... :fp: ::)

I'm thinking that a complete new set of modern electronics is required here. The jack is kind of spotty anyway and the switch tip issue is more easily solved by a standard switch.