Log-in to see the MISC section?

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Log-in to see the MISC section?

Post by AWSchmit » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:12 pm

I get needing to be logged on to see the for sale section, but why the Misc Section? I was wanting to sharing the thread on facebook, but I can't... Can this be changed? is there a reason for it that I'm not aware off? Thanks!

AWS
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Log-in to see the MISC section?

Post by AWSchmit » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Am I being ignored??

BTW, the thread I want to share has absolutely nothing to do with Doug. I promise.

AWS
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:16 am

IIRC the original intention was so that people could feel free to vent in the Misc section without it being visible to the entire internet.

One argument against changing it now is that there will be historical posts made with that expectation of (semi-)privacy.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:24 am

mezcalhead wrote:IIRC the original intention was so that people could feel free to vent in the Misc section without it being visible to the entire internet.

One argument against changing it now is that there will be historical posts made with that expectation of (semi-)privacy.
sorry for the hi-jack: I really hope it stays that way!

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:40 pm

I guess I see the point. But I worry about folks who consider posting in the misc section private. Ive posted personal things there but nothing j would mind anyone reading. I keep my deepest and darkest in my own head. Safe and sound. But its cool. It can stay the same. Just seems odd to me is all.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:37 pm

Also didn't want people registering just to fill up all the misc discussions with drivvle. This way, we can kinda assume they registered to talk about guitars.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:44 am

Jay wrote:Also didn't want people registering just to fill up all the misc discussions with drivvle. This way, we can kinda assume they registered to talk about guitars.
I supposed if that's a real problem with forums than it sounds reasonable. I wouldn't imagine that would be a problem though. If it is the world is a crappier place than I thought. lol

Thanks for the reply.

AWS

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:09 am

It's a real problem with forums that see it as a problem I suppose. I'm not sure we're at that point but when we started OSG, one of our internal discussions when setting up the structure was around trying to minimize the focus on non-guitar/music related topics. None of us wanted to be heavily involved with moderating and most of us had seen too many examples of how members and overall forum culture could quickly degenerate when the discussion turned sour.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:16 am

Jay wrote:... most of us had seen too many examples of how members and overall forum culture could quickly degenerate when the discussion turned sour.
No fucking way.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.