Members Only?

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Members Only?

Post by Pacafeliz » Wed May 06, 2009 3:28 pm

what? i don't get what's going on...  ???

Pat.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

the rollerdoor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the rollerdoor » Wed May 06, 2009 3:45 pm

I couldn't access the site for a bit, and when I did it took me straight to the login page.
i was just joking about the Member Only thing. Fuelling those elitist fires.
I'm sure the mods know what's going on.

nsnyder6
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nsnyder6 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:23 pm

the rollerdoor wrote: Cognac, Sir?
No thank you.  Instead I'll have a purple ball floating in perfume and served in a man's hat. 8)
Watashi wa ichigo desu. (I am a strawberry.)

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Wed May 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Yes, I disabled browsing the forums for guests.  Our traffic is through the roof and a lot of the forum troubles are related to trying to host the server on a $10 shared hosting package.  So in order to keep things free and (hopefully) running smoothly it was a necessary choice.  People are always welcome to register (for free) and log in to browse.  And hopefully its only a short term solution.

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Wed May 06, 2009 8:15 pm

Jay wrote: Yes, I disabled browsing the forums for guests.  Our traffic is through the roof and a lot of the forum troubles are related to trying to host the server on a $10 shared hosting package.  So in order to keep things free and (hopefully) running smoothly it was a necessary choice.  People are always welcome to register (for free) and log in to browse.  And hopefully its only a short term solution.
with all the pr0n  :? i see on here, sometimes i wonder why there's not a $2.99 monthly fee!  :D

;)

the rollerdoor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the rollerdoor » Thu May 07, 2009 12:20 pm

Jay wrote: Yes, I disabled browsing the forums for guests.  Our traffic is through the roof and a lot of the forum troubles are related to trying to host the server on a $10 shared hosting package.  So in order to keep things free and (hopefully) running smoothly it was a necessary choice.  People are always welcome to register (for free) and log in to browse.  And hopefully its only a short term solution.
Definitely fair.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sun May 17, 2009 4:35 pm

I was googling for info on offsets and I made my way onto a text only message board.  And then I realized it was this place.  So Google is still getting in for searches, or does Google know that I am signed in here and thats why it let me in?
Fuck Trump

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Tue May 19, 2009 7:56 am

why is it that right now on the OSG.com home, it shows the number of members and guests viewing right now? i thought guest viewing was still disabled, but the guest count was jsut at 13  ???

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Tue May 19, 2009 8:25 am

Is the sonic youth stolen guitar discussions the reason for the increased traffic?  If that's the case Lee should pick up the bill ;-)
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Tue May 19, 2009 8:38 am

This has probably been discussed before, but why don't you just get a faster server and add a paypal donation button in a discrete place at the top or bottom of the site?
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue May 19, 2009 11:32 am

This whole site started up on the principle of it being free without any sorta obligations or pressure for members to make any sort of financial contribution.  Speaking for myself personally, I want things to stay that way above all else.  I'd prefer to make changes to the scope and/or service the site provides long before I'd ever consider asking for financial support from any of our members.  Some of that is stubbornness, some of it is selfishness, and some of it is graciousness but most of all it's a matter of simplicity.  Once money gets involved, running things amicably gets waaay more complicated and the last thing I want to see happen here is any sort of infighting, outfighting or bitterness to develop amongst the site owners and/or membership.

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Tue May 19, 2009 11:50 am

I can understand that considering how the forum got started("contributing members" and all that bullshit), but it does not necessarily have to end up like that. Just because I wouldn't mind helping out with a very modest sum now and then if it meant the site running more smoothly without the all more frequent errors doesn't mean that I would expect or demand some sort of privileges.

I think the key would be just having the button but never mentioning it.
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

jop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jop » Wed May 20, 2009 7:55 am

Pingu wrote: I can understand that considering how the forum got started("contributing members" and all that bullshit), but it does not necessarily have to end up like that. Just because I wouldn't mind helping out with a very modest sum now and then if it meant the site running more smoothly without the all more frequent errors doesn't mean that I would expect or demand some sort of privileges.

I think the key would be just having the button but never mentioning it.
I agree. I definitely wouldn't mind paypalling a bit.  :)

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Wed May 20, 2009 8:06 am

Jay wrote: This whole site started up on the principle of it being free without any sorta obligations or pressure for members to make any sort of financial contribution.  Speaking for myself personally, I want things to stay that way above all else.  I'd prefer to make changes to the scope and/or service the site provides long before I'd ever consider asking for financial support from any of our members.  Some of that is stubbornness, some of it is selfishness, and some of it is graciousness but most of all it's a matter of simplicity.  Once money gets involved, running things amicably gets waaay more complicated and the last thing I want to see happen here is any sort of infighting, outfighting or bitterness to develop amongst the site owners and/or membership.
Hmm.  This is actually quite a shrewd move, although like a few others I wouldn't mind slinging the odd finski to the site for more bandwidth and such.  Error 500 isn't fun.
"Find the one who understands
Why we wait for pain to change us"

- WILLOW, "Symptom Of Life"

dug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dug » Fri May 22, 2009 3:13 am

I haven't been getting the error since members only.  :)