Re: NEW OSG LOGO?

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
Marquischacha
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Marquischacha » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:08 am

What's also awesome is that at home I have a 17" screen, but in work its 22", so I'm constantly resizing the windows - and I've found that when you change the width of the window, you see that the JM sits on a layer above the crushed black/grey/whatever background. Sorry if everyone already knew this, but it was yet another surprise this forum gave me. :D
Drop out of life with bong in hand, follow the smoke to the riff-filled land.

Indiepop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Indiepop » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:19 am

dug wrote: You can't improve perfection.
+1 (again)
The amount of assholes I've seen on this forum in the past two or three weeks is staggering...
Sorry for having to put up with those guys mods.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:51 am

the more members the more hassle i guess.  :(
Nobody exists on purpose.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:06 am

Jay wrote: Seriously folks, if anyone has constructive criticism, we're always all ears.  Complaining, whinging, and generally tactless criticism is not particularly appreciated however.  As I'm sure most of you can imagine, running this site isn't particularly a lot of fun. In fact, for most of us it can be every bit as frustrating as our day jobs most of the time. So please respect the fact that we're doing what we can to make this place look the best we can to the best of our abilities.

EDIT: And just to make a note, we've already begun work on a new design to go with the new server migration.   ::)
Wow, talk about thin skin.  I really have a hard time seeing how the original poster was not offering constructive criticism.  He knew he would ruffle feathers by mentioning it, and wrote IMHO a pretty humble post asking if anyone felt the same way (other than maybe the "come on!")  And it sounds like you are already working on a redesign anyway, so you must have had some thoughts along the same lines to some extent.  I know managing a site is hard work, but I think this was a pretty harsh reaction to a simple question. 

This is what a whinging, tactless and unconstructive post would look like:

"Boy this place sure looks crappy - that banner sucks and the people who designed it have no taste whatsoever.  My two year old could do better.  What is this site run by? A bunch of idiots?"

There are certainly dicks in the world and on this site, but I don't think the original post comes close. 

I like "continuously curving", but think the logo doesn't show the offset curves in the best way - it could be a strat.  I am also not a designer, and could not do better myself.  Just offering constructive criticism.

Fire away...
Respectfully,
-John
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:19 am

well the reaction to him goes beyond just this thread

as far as the post here he took his shots and dressed up the rest.. that's hardly constructive criticism

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:42 am

I don't think that it's a case of thin skin at all,

I did not like the tone of the original post, which had no real suggestion as to how to make things better.

I find complaining without offering any real solutions to be a waste of time of all 3214 members on this site.

The suggestion of "using a bit more flash", is at best pointless, and lacks any real depth or explanation as to what could be done (or is this about using Flash animation? - I find it tacky and distracting)

I, and a few other mods/admnis are designers, and we are aware of the limitations to a design that will be used by many different platforms and screen sizes.

We really are open to all sorts of suggestions that have some kind of reasoning behind it, and we will take time out of our lives and implement them for free, just as we do when it comes to running this site daily and having to do mundane things like asking people to change their signatures (as some never read the site rules), to putting endings to spitting matches between grown men.

The site will be changing look in the near future,  but that is not due to us not liking the existing look. There are other reasons behind it, but that will be revealed at a later date when all the groundwork has been done.

Let's all focus at making this site the best it can be...and there are more ways to do that, than just changing the design.

we all form this site...the reason people think it's a great place, is because (almost) all the members who comprise it are great :)

let's all be the best we can be to each other

let's all remember that Content Is King

let's all think before we post

and let's leave re-designs etc aside...they will be implemented in due time...till then, the suggestion box is always open, and many things do get implemented, but are sometimes easily forgotten.

I mean, just sorting and creating the picture gallery that people asked for, but now seems widely ignored, took forever.

it took me a full weekend just to sort out my archives for my own contribution...

we all have real lives, let's remember to have fun, and things will slowly only get better if we all work towards it :)

(ok, you can raise the OSG.com flag behind me now, as I chin up and point to the future) ;D

Yannis
Last edited by zhivago on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resident Spartan.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:46 am

yannis,

this is the best post in ages.

:-*
Nobody exists on purpose.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:49 am

hey thanks Michael :)
Resident Spartan.

jgs61
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jgs61 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:50 am

zhivago wrote:
+1

I could care less about changing the design. The information we all need is right here. The site is easy to navigate and most importantly, to me at least, the search engine functions properly. Unlike some other forums.

Keep up the good work guys!  :)

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:47 am

zhivago wrote: I don't think that it's a case of thin skin at all,

I did not like the tone of the original post, which had no real suggestion as to how to make things better.

I find complaining without offering any real solutions to be a waste of time of all 3214 members on this site.

The suggestion of "using a bit more flash", is at best pointless, and lacks any real depth or explanation as to what could be done (or is this about using Flash animation? - I find it tacky and distracting)

I, and a few other mods/admnis are designers, and we are aware of the limitations to a design that will be used by many different platforms and screen sizes.

We really are open to all sorts of suggestions that have some kind of reasoning behind it, and we will take time out of our lives and implement them for free, just as we do when it comes to running this site daily and having to do mundane things like asking people to change their signatures (as some never read the site rules), to putting endings to spitting matches between grown men.

The site will be changing look in the near future,  but that is not due to us not liking the existing look. There are other reasons behind it, but that will be revealed at a later date when all the groundwork has been done.

Let's all focus at making this site the best it can be...and there are more ways to do that, than just changing the design.

we all form this site...the reason people think it's a great place, is because (almost) all the members who comprise it are great :)

let's all be the best we can be to each other

let's all think before we post

and let's leave re-designs etc aside...they will be implemented in due time...till then, the suggestion box is always open, and many things do get implemented, but are sometimes easily forgotten.

I mean, just sorting and creating the picture gallery that people asked for, but now seems widely ignored, took forever.

it took me a full weekend just to sort out my archives for my own contribution...

we all have real lives, let's remember to have fun, and things will slowly only get better if we all work towards it :)
(ok, you can raise the OSG.com flag behind me now, as I chin up and point to the future) ;D

Yannis
Thanks a lot, well said.
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

artie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by artie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:50 am

wow.
to me chipbutty24's post didn't really sound out of line or rude or anything.
he just made a suggestion.

you make it sound as if he really tried to insult someone and implied that the forum is terrible and useless because of the logo.

it's just a forum (and a pretty good one) so i don't care what's on top but as a graphic designer i'm going to agree with him. i think the banner looks good, but i'm not a fan of the offsetguitars.com typeface. however i really don't give a shit. i'm just surprised how defensive people got over some minor suggestion / opinion.

and i don't care that he wasn't constructive with telling you what should change about it. people don't do that most of the time. i work with clients every day... 90% of them  have no idea how to explain things. they just "don't like it"

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:04 am

artie wrote: and i don't care that he wasn't constructive with telling you what should change about it. people don't do that most of the time. i work with clients every day... 90% of them  have no idea how to explain things. they just "don't like it"
interesting view...

in that case, I would of thought that you'd understand, that "I don't like it" isn't much help towards making things better...I deal with that attitude by my own clients a lot too, and it is a backward way of dealing with things...

regardless, we all have different opinions, so it's rather healthy for some to like something that others don't, it is just my personal view that we should all make suggestions, instead of just pointing out a fault and expecting others to fix it, that's all.
Resident Spartan.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:11 am

artie wrote: and i don't care that he wasn't constructive with telling you what should change about it. people don't do that most of the time. i work with clients every day... 90% of them  have no idea how to explain things. they just "don't like it"
To me, that's kind of the point though...

In "the good ol' days", people here did take the time. And THAT's what made this place the oasis it was.
Watching that mutual respect, tact, idea and information exchange get flushed with a lot of childish nonsense that SEEMS to have migrated from elsewhere is what's getting people's back up....
It seems to me that just about every other place on the interwebs is prime real estate to shoot your mouth off and hide behind anonymity.
(I'm speaking in GENERAL - not specific to this initial post - but the underlying tone of that post is definitely part of the bigger problem)
Many folks (long term users) here have built respectable relationships with one another, and it seems the BS that's going on lately detracts from that and makes this place a whole lot less enjoyable as a result.

Well, that's my $0.02...  :-\
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

artie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by artie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:13 am

hahah yeah. good point, it would be less annoying if someone actually said what they think is wrong with it. i guess i'm used to it.
i just felt that the initial responses were just a bit too dramatic.

"maybe you ought to consider leaving and designing your own site that looks how you'd like it to look."

really? i think that's a bit too much... i'm surprised anyone would get that butt hurt about it.

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:21 am

hansonparry wrote: To me, that's kind of the point though...

In "the good ol' days", people here did take the time. And THAT's what made this place the oasis it was.
Watching that mutual respect, tact, idea and information exchange get flushed with a lot of childish nonsense that SEEMS to have migrated from elsewhere is what's getting people's back up....
It seems to me that just about every other place on the interwebs is prime real estate to shoot your mouth off and hide behind anonymity.
(I'm speaking in GENERAL - not specific to this initial post - but the underlying tone of that post is definitely part of the bigger problem)
Many folks (long term users) here have built respectable relationships with one another, and it seems the BS that's going on lately detracts from that and makes this place a whole lot less enjoyable as a result.

Well, that's my $0.02...  :-\

I couldn't agree more.

As I mentionned in another thread, I recently found myself coming here less and less, and when I do, I feel less and less like posting. It's still the only forum I actively participate in, but I have to say I'm not really adapting too well to the new ways around the place....  :-[

It's not the mods fault at all, they certainly do their best and I have to say I couldn't have the patience to do what they do... Thumbs up to you guys!..

But I know my own patience to respond is thinning way down...