Re: NEW OSG LOGO?

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:53 am

dug wrote:
crazyzeke wrote: My personal perspective is that the new "signup to view content" policy to save bandwidth has backfired.  It was a good short-term solution but we're now in the same position we would have been had that policy not been introduced, with the added drawback of a lot of rude, opinionated new members who do nothing but piss, moan and waste bandwidth.
I honestly believe that myself. There are members that probably wouldn't have joined if not for that.
It was either that or have errors non-stop.  We did nearly 2.5GB of traffic one day back in April when the Sonic Youth stuff kicked up.  I don't think this site did that much in a whole month when we first started.  Prior to that a normal amount was around 600-800MB/day.  Now we're getting roughly 750MB-1.5GB depending on the day of the week.  IMO saying that the no guest browsing policy (which I wouldn't call a policy) has backfired isn't accurate.  I think the reason for the increased traffic is related to the press we received and the flood of folks hitting the server that otherwise had little to no idea this place existed prior.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:11 am

I was about to post something like ^ just now, albeit a lot less technically informed. I never saw the No Guests move as a way of trying to keep membership down: as stated at the time (and still, at the top of the page) it's just a way of trying to minimise the hosts choking off bandwidth when zillions of casual browsers hit the forum at once. It's that which causes the "500" errors, as I understand it.

Finefish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Finefish » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:46 pm

zhivago wrote:
for a long time, offsets have been looked down upon by strat/tele/les paul etc users,

now we offseters have a place to stay and chat with a lot of members, a lot of nice pictures, and a lot of music...

it sounds like an oasis within the internet...should we not all try and maintain it?

should we all not try to make it better?

we sure as hell can do this...all we have to do is to be a bit more respectful and thoughtful, and I'm sure we can all manage that. :)

my 2p

Yannis
I really learn a lot of stuff here on the forum. I haven't been a member for very long, but it was evident to me from the beginning, that this was quite a unique place on the interwebs. For some reason the atmosphere here is much friendlier than on any other forum that I've visited. Shortly before I became a member here I had joined another guitar-forum (one that I'm sure many of You people here are familiar with) and my very first post rendered a pretty sarcastic answer. I never returned there.
I really like hangin' out here in this internet oasis. :) I only wish I could contribute to this awesome place, but I'm just a noobie...and everybody knows so much more than I do.  :'( 
"Förr var det nu fast jävligare desto värre. Men så här jävla sämre har det tamejfan aldrig varit dåligt!" - Refaat El-Sayed -

mcconnachiea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcconnachiea » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:28 pm

I have to agree - this place is probably the friendliest of any forums although the 'mojo'd jazzmaster: :?' can get rather tiresome ;D

Poop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Poop » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:03 pm

Okay, I'm definitely new here. I'd lurked for a while but didn't join up until I was drunk in the wee hours of New Years Day. Therefore, I have no idea what this site was like before.
But I have to say that this is by far the friendliest forum that I have ever visited (except for some adult forums where everybody is REALLY friendly.) And one thing that I have heard at shortscale.org is that (and I'm paraphrasing here) the guys at offset are all douchebags and they ban people for stupid reasons and so-and-so wasn't allowed to use some username that he wanted and you don't have any freedom of speech because they'll delete your posts and so on...
Personally, from what I've seen, these harsh criticisms are unfounded and with nothing to back them up. I mean, especially the freedom of speech thing. How many people write about jizzing their pants when someone posts pics of their guitar? And I can drop the F-bomb with the best of them.
I really don't feel that the comments that created this thread were offensive or out of line. I actually love the banner and logo and would hate to see it go all bright and sparkly, all Mascis-ized.  :P
You know, maybe I'm one of this cyber-miscreants that are destroying the OSG community. If so, I'd want someone to tell me.
And the only problem that I've ever had with this site was that some posts were allegedly removed because they insulted Sonic Youth or something. (That Lee Renaldo Mustang thread grew so fast that I missed about 20 pages.  ::)) As an advocate for/fan of freedom of speech, I'd hate to think that anybody's remarks were censored, even if it was incredibly rude or crude. Again, I'm not "in the know" here because I never saw said threads or had any of my threads deleted... that I know of.  :-\
My respect to the mods/admins on this site. I'm sure that it must be a hell of a job to keep this thing going. I wouldn't want to do it. (Hell, I can't even keep a Facebook page in working order.  ::))
Last edited by Poop on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nina, it's Wednesday! Where are the angry eyes?!?!

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:31 pm

dug wrote: I honestly believe that myself. There are members that probably wouldn't have joined if not for that.

If you guys don't like me I don't care. I'm not going away.  ;)
I like you Doug and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that regard.
Jay wrote: It was either that or have errors non-stop.  We did nearly 2.5GB of traffic one day back in April when the Sonic Youth stuff kicked up.  I don't think this site did that much in a whole month when we first started.  Prior to that a normal amount was around 600-800MB/day.  Now we're getting roughly 750MB-1.5GB depending on the day of the week.  IMO saying that the no guest browsing policy (which I wouldn't call a policy) has backfired isn't accurate.  I think the reason for the increased traffic is related to the press we received and the flood of folks hitting the server that otherwise had little to no idea this place existed prior.
This is an interesting perspective and I believe that it's more accurate than my own speculation.  But I stand by my observation that a lot of people posting thoughtless, hateful messages might not have done if you could browse without joining, although of course then we'd be getting lots more 500/ISE messages.  I can't get the image of a set of scales out of my head because running this place is such a delicate balance; can only imagine it's not easy to be a moderator here though I'm guessing there are times when it's all worthwhile.  :D
Jimmy wrote: (Hell, I can't even keep a Facebook page in working order.  ::))
Ugh.  Personally I don't care for sites like MySpace and Facebook.  They encourage vanity and don't usually lead to constructive and stimulating conversation.  I'd rather do my "social networking" in real life with my friends and family, or if that's not an option jump onto a good forum like OSG so I can learn a few things, share thoughts and ideas with the members here.

I do enjoy OSG a lot, even as such a new member.  Just wish there was more I could do to contribute to the upkeep of the place in some way.
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:22 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: This thread and similar other ones make me very sad.  Yannis has pretty much said it all......I truly hope things will improve.  Until then, I'll sort of lurk and post occasionally.  I just don't feel like logging in very often anymore, which has me very troubled.  I love this place and all the priceless friendships I've made.   I'm not bragging or just talking about some old "glory days", but it wasn't that long ago I read almost every post and posted in a great deal of threads.  Now there seems to be twice as many posts, and half as much quality content. 
.......Please, everyone just be courteous to each other and THINK about whether you're going to insult someone or cause trouble before you hit that post button. 

Much love to my offset olderbrothers and sisters.

-Nolan
Pretty much agreed and where I'm getting too - I do log on everyday, because I have the opportunity to do so at work, but I hardly read a fraction anymore - and post even less. I've actually stopped using the "show unread..." and "show new replies..." funcion and just go for the "main stage" sections as it is what i I REALLY came here for from the beginning - the love for offsets and subjects and info about them. 

I understand the "instead of taking a step back - take a step forward" opinion about it. I just can't wade through ten new pages with new posts everytime I log on that I, frankly, don't have the interest in - subjectwise.

I do miss a few people on the board nowadays too - Fullerplast not the least.

I do have a project running in the nomaster thread, plus a couple planned in the very near future, but wich we ( :ph34r: ) have decided not to have a running thread about - just do it the Sook style and post when finished, because of the way it is on the board at the moment....

BTW - I fixed your last phrase Nolan  :D

- J
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

Mr. Peabody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr. Peabody » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:26 pm

Let's not forget the lesson here:
Returning stolen property destroys communities.

But seriously, some of Fullerplast's threads were the most interesting on here.
If he has been driven away by the new atmosphere on the board, that is a problem.

mcconnachiea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcconnachiea » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:27 pm

crazyzeke wrote:
Ugh.  Personally I don't care for sites like MySpace and Facebook.  They encourage vanity and don't usually lead to constructive and stimulating conversation.  I'd rather do my "social networking" in real life with my friends and family, or if that's not an option jump onto a good forum like OSG so I can learn a few things, share thoughts and ideas with the members here.

I do enjoy OSG a lot, even as such a new member.  Just wish there was more I could do to contribute to the upkeep of the place in some way.
I only use facebook to 'keep in touch' Just organise goings out without ringing each other constantly. I'd probably only ever use myspace to publicise my band (when I get one ;D)

Since somebody mentioned shortscale........ Just reminded me that they change their banner every couple of days or so. Might be a thought :-[

Loomer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Loomer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:14 pm

I've occasionally become what I hate (someone who puts people in their place) in defense of what I love (OSG and and people being put in their place).  :P

I know (hope) a lot of people agree with some of my assessments or condemnations, but I'm not arrogant enough to think in hindsight that it's actually helped. In fact I know it's probably just exacerbated the exasperation many of us feel. I'm sorry. I'll try to cut that shit out...  :ph34r:

Jay, I applaud your flexing of the Mighty Pimp Hand of Justice on our thread-starter here. To be honest, at first I thought your were over-reacting. Then I reread the guy's post. Not only do I think he deserved it, but I realized that I've probably just become desensitized to that kind of ungrateful ignorant idiocy.

I try to mention frequently that I have more respect and gratitude for the Management around here than you could fit in someone's butt. In that you facilitate the conversations and friendships that develop here, y'all are doing' the Lord's work.  ;)

But members do need an attitude adjustment if we want that Admins and Mods (some of my very favorite members. i can't think of one that I don't like.) to stick around. While I defend to the death people's right to be irreverent asses in life, this ain't a democracy. And our "leaders" are involved in an "at will" basis; if we don't like it we can leave or tempt the Pimp Hand.  :P

OR..... You could start another "behind the scenes" area for Expats and early-adopters! Viva la insular caste systems! :ph34r: ::)

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:36 pm

mcconnachiea wrote:
Since somebody mentioned shortscale........ Just reminded me that they change their banner every couple of days or so. Might be a thought :-[
They change their banner over there on almost a daily basis.  We're not them.  ;)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:23 pm

I'm just amazed that someone who's been a member less than a month would have the nerve to post such a thing.  ::) 

As far as 'growth' goes, I'm very selective of the threads I participate in now...  so much crap to weed through.

This is the only forum I visit because I like the quaintness... I definitely spend too much time here/on the computer.  Now it feels like Martha's Vineyard in the summer but C'est la Vie

Poop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Poop » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:52 am

crazyzeke wrote:

Yeah, I generally use a fake name on social networking sites and use it as a way to stalk ex-girlfriends. And I agree about the vanity aspect. But I'm just so amazing in every sense of the word that I have a right to be a little vain.  ;)
Sorry for getting off topic... again.
Nina, it's Wednesday! Where are the angry eyes?!?!

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:35 am

for quite a while now, in kind of personal or serious matters i tend to p.m. osg members instead of posting on the forum because i'm tired of stupid remarks. i mean, the occassional joke is great, but some stuff i read here lately just comes over dumb, aggressive and superflous. example: someone's posting about some hardship like a family meber being seriously sick or a great new experience like becoming a dad, and then the thread just goes down the drain because some (a few) people don't care about personal feelings of others and just type away like apes because they need to come over as super smart, somewhat cooler than the next guy, feel the urge to comment on everything someone's saying they have some stupid disagreement with that has nothing to do with the post at hand or ... god knows what.  i don't really care who said exactly what and why, it's just that i find it sad that the open mindedness, depth and the likeable tone of most conversations are somewhat gone. still, i don't feel like pulling back, because there's great folks on here which i came to consider friends (as far as that's possible on the netz), and though i'm not much of an online person i prefer to talk guitars and amps and fuzzes and everything related on the forum instead of in a bar or guitar store. the mods are doing a great job and i wonder if some of the complainers have ever spent a single thought about how much effort, time and good will are going into a project like this - i mean, come on folks, let's be thankful for having osg and let's be nice, constructive and talk guitars and music instead of lashing out at each other in writing. i'm really happy our mods are tolerating a lot of stuff here, are open mind folks and everything, but on the other hand, i wouldn't have a single problem with a ban or two being spoken if someone repeatedly doesn't comply to the (really easy and relaxed) board policy. 
Nobody exists on purpose.

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:10 am

OffYourFace wrote: Now it feels like Martha's Vineyard in the summer but C'est la Vie
Haha yes, this is a good analogy.