Re: so wait, people got banned?

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

so wait, people got banned?

Post by panoramic » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:00 am

for having a negative opinion on michael jackson?
blueavenger
Kilgore Trout
skip

Weird

Kilgore is one of my faves, not to mention skip is totally harmless
blueavenger i am not all that in the know of.
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

mcconnachiea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcconnachiea » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:07 am

Yeah, something happened in that MJ is dead thread.

Its been stickie'd. Its a bit medieval. Rather like leaving the heads of decapitated convicts on spikes at the entrance to a town ;D

I've no doubt this thread will be locked sooner or later :S

dug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dug » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:11 am

Its a one month ban. I guess people are tired of them starting arguments, and spreading negative vibes.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:12 am

Yeah man, the mods are doing what they need to do, and frankly I think they've been fairly lenient/patient up to this point with what has happened as a result of it. I support 'em, much as I personally may not mind some of the persons it has happened to.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:19 am

I think the guys who run this place are pretty tired of having to moderate arguments & hot-headed opinion.

I can sympathize.

I'm guilty of coming out with some unsavoury opinions myself but I think there's a point where you leave it at that & draw a line. After all, it's pretty unlikely that the people involved in all the shit-slinging are gonna change there opinions. They end up going round in circles & repeating themselves. Its really boring IMO.

I think the idea of PM's is more appropriate here. They can have their little argument without unwittingly drawing people in wasting pages of bandwidth. I can't help but think though that some people like to be seen as provocateurs. That's more of a pathetic ego thing if you ask me.

Just my 2p.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

dug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dug » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:20 am

I wish they'd ban more people. I'll write a list and check it twice.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:25 am

None of them ever bothered me but it's not my house and not my line they crossed, so c'est la vie.

D
dug wrote: I wish they'd ban more people. I'll write a list and check it twice.
I appoint you Witchfinder General  :ph34r:
Are you loathsome tonight?

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:26 am

Bigger in sum than parts.

dug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dug » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:29 am

shadowplay wrote: None of them ever bothered me but it's not my house and not my line they crossed, so c'est la vie.

D
dug wrote: I wish they'd ban more people. I'll write a list and check it twice.
I appoint you Witchfinder General  :ph34r:
I'm not serious.  :'(

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:34 am

dug wrote:

I'm not serious.  :'(
I am, burn witch burn!
Are you loathsome tonight?

dug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dug » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:35 am

pwnd

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:40 am

no one was banned for having a negative opinion on michael jackson. they were temporaily suspended for turning yet another thread into a pissing contest. the #1 rule of this site reads:
1. If you don't have anything useful to add, don't say anything. Be polite and respectful. Disagreement can be good and is perfectly acceptable. Don't take it personally if someone disagrees with you. Personal attacks/insults will not be tolerated, and neither will displays of racism, homophobia etc.
apart from the last part about racism and homophobia these guys have been ignoring this rule for a long time, and they have been given many warnings (not to mention open complaints from other members). we couldn't just keep letting it slide...

SPudnik
Expat
Expat

Post by SPudnik » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:41 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote: I think the guys who run this place are pretty tired of having to moderate arguments & hot-headed opinion.

I can sympathize.

I'm guilty of coming out with some unsavoury opinions myself but I think there's a point where you leave it at that & draw a line. After all, it's pretty unlikely that the people involved in all the shit-slinging are gonna change there opinions. They end up going round in circles & repeating themselves. Its really boring IMO.

I think the idea of PM's is more appropriate here. They can have their little argument without unwittingly drawing people in wasting pages of bandwidth. I can't help but think though that some people like to be seen as provocateurs. That's more of a pathetic ego thing if you ask me.

Just my 2p.
That pretty much sums it up.
Personally, I find those folks entertaining, albeit sometimes morbidly.
I doubt there was any PMing going on, for reasons Porky stated, and understand why they were banned
temporarily. They're lucky it wasn't permanent; (there was discussion over that) maybe they don't even care...

They contributed well in other sections.
Bass VI - A What?

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:43 am

mynameisjonas wrote: no one was banned for having a negative opinion on michael jackson. they were temporaily suspended for turning yet another thread into a pissing contest. the #1 rule of this site reads:
1. If you don't have anything useful to add, don't say anything. Be polite and respectful. Disagreement can be good and is perfectly acceptable. Don't take it personally if someone disagrees with you. Personal attacks/insults will not be tolerated, and neither will displays of racism, homophobia etc.
apart from the last part about racism and homophobia these guys have been ignoring this rule for a long time, and they have been given many warnings (not to mention open complaints from other members). we couldn't just keep letting it slide...
I will admit to having noted kilgore and blueavenger having some lack luster arguments, I am not sure what brought skip into the mix though, he seems to be the last person this should have inspired to act silly.
Michael Jackson though, man come on. That dude was a joke, always and to me will remain a joke regardless of him passing away, just like when Phil Spector finally goes.

Or Steven Segal for that matter
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:51 am

panoramic wrote: Michael Jackson though, man come on. That dude was a joke, always and to me will remain a joke regardless of him passing away, just like when Phil Spector finally goes.

Or Steven Segal for that matter
as i said, this had nothing to do with michael jackson.