post padding

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: post padding

Post by fullerplast » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:08 am

INTO
Q. Are we not men?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:09 am

THAT.
Q. Are we not men?

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:29 am

HNB wrote:
ZenJenga wrote:for the love of god somebody delete the MISC Word Assoc thread.
The Best Guitarist thread is way worse. There are people posting like five guitarists as seperate posts all in a row. Isn't BEST supposed to be ONE? Could they not as easily put all five or six guitarists as one post rather than seperate? Just sayin'.
The thread was meant as a joke.
I request everyone not keeping to the thread's rules be banned immediately and forever.
Nobody exists on purpose.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:34 am

LOL
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Goner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Goner » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Aw, I love both those threads...

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:45 pm

Goner wrote:Aw, I love both those threads...
I didn't mind either until I saw the same usernames repeatedly posting over and over and over again.
I go to check new posts in Misc Disc and it's just some random word. fuck that noise. it got old real fast.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:58 pm

There are many threads I am not a fan of. I just don't read them. I don't feel compelled to drop in and crap on them because they are not my cup of tea. If you don't find the idea of word association interesting, than don't read it. :) No one is forcing anyone to participate. It is odd that you don't like it, but are posting in it anyways. Every time there is a post in there, it brings it back to the front. Ignore it. If people here don't like it, it will fall back and be buried under new stuff. It isn't hurting anyone so I don't really see the harm in it.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:22 pm

HNB wrote:There are many threads I am not a fan of. I just don't read them. I don't feel compelled to drop in and crap on them because they are not my cup of tea. If you don't find the idea of word association interesting, than don't read it. No one is forcing anyone to participate. It is odd that you don't like it, but are posting in it anyways. Every time there is a post in there, it brings it back to the front. Ignore it. If people here don't like it, it will fall back and be buried under new stuff. It isn't hurting anyone so I don't really see the harm in it.
I do find it interesting, but I don't see the need to post in it everytime someone else does. Once a day/week is fine. It says 'not for post-padding,' yet certain members have a large percentage of their post count contained in the thread.
You, for example, have 0.52 percent of all posts on this forum and nearly 1/3 of them are in that thread. Your real post count is somewhere around 3493. Yes I did the math and yes it took a while.
I only singled you out, because you have the majority of the posts in that 350 + page thread and you seem to be the one to always defend it, when it gets questioned.
I'm sure 350 pages of nonsense uses a considerable amount of server space, so yea I guess it isn't hurting anyone.....
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:02 pm

I haven't used that thread to post pad. I already got my access to the sale area a long time ago and it wasn't by using the word associacion thread. There is no reason for me to try to inflate my post count. Unless there is an ultra super classified area with vintage guitars for $200, why would I post just to get a bigger number? So what if 1,000 or more of my posts were me having fun in there?

If you like looking up post trends of forum users to kill time, that is totally fine. What you do to kill time is your business. I have no right to be critical of what you respond to on the forum and how many times you do so.

I post in threads when I feel like it. If I don't, then I don't reply. Is there a rule I missed that you can only reply once a day per thread? I am not the only one posting in that thread. I am sure you noticed that when researching my posts.

That thread isn't everything I do on OSG, but you are welcome to think otherwise. :) Everyone has their own opinion.

Peace. ;)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:46 pm

some editing/deleing was done :ph34r:
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:36 pm

sookwinder wrote:some editing/deleing was done
Duck-Duck goose'd? :ph34r:
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Goner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Goner » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:51 pm

ZenJenga wrote:
HNB wrote: I'm sure 350 pages of nonsense uses a considerable amount of server space, so yea I guess it isn't hurting anyone.....
As a database programmer, I feel the need to point out that single word posts take up very little room. Multi-word posts, for that matter, also take up very little room... 350*very little still = very little... That whole thread is very unlikely to take up any appreciable amount of space...

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:57 am

Goner wrote:As a database programmer, I feel the need to point out that single word posts take up very little room. Multi-word posts, for that matter, also take up very little room... 350*very little still = very little... That whole thread is very unlikely to take up any appreciable amount of space...
I totally agree. I have operated numerous websites with phpbb forums and they take up so little space data wise, it is crazy. (Especially since on mine and OSG, users have to link images vs the forum hosting them.) Text takes up so little space on a forum. When I back up my entire forums every month (granted none of mine have been as big or well used as OSG) I could easily fit it on my cell phone's memory card. Data traffic can be impacted by threads like the Word Association one, but text is so small data wise, it would seem like the threads with longer posts would use more data traffic wise. My websites have 50gb data transfer a month. I haven't got close to using that much before. (But like I said, OSG is WAY more used than any of my forums.)

When all is said and done, the mods and admins are the ones to decide what stays and what goes. :) If that thread is really harmful to OSG, it would probably be gone. If my participation was/is so harmful to OSG and the servers, I am thinking I would have been notified. If I asked to stop by an admin or mod, I would cooperate. I am a guest on their forum and I do my best to follow the rules and make on topic posts that are relevant to the topic of the post.

This was the first time my posting habits have been criticized like this so I felt compelled to defend myself. I won't stoop to attack anyone's posting habits or anything, but I will defend myself and things I think are fun. I would expect the same of anyone else. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:49 pm

Word! I liked the song association thread but it died quickly. :(

I considered going on forever just posting against myself :D

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:10 am

shadowplay wrote:

Word! I liked the song association thread but it died quickly.

I considered going on forever just posting against myself

D
Lets move it to its own subforum where the three members that use it can go nuts on it.