post padding

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: post padding

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:25 am

Jay wrote:
Jay wrote:
Johnny Alien wrote:I use the forum as a great resource but rarely see the need to comment or post new threads. If I want to know the difference between the new reissues and the old ones I can do a search and find my answer. That does little to boost my post count but is the proper way to use the forum. Why litter it with duplicate threads? So in order to be able to support sellers here this policy would actually force me to make posts that are probably not needed.
I see where you're coming from here but personally, I disagree with this logic even though it's the prevailing tone of the majority of internet forums. I think continuing to make new topics (within reason) and discussing old ones promotes healthy and continuing dialog and brings previous discussions to the top for newer, or perhaps more knowledgable members to contribute where they may not have otherwise seen an opportunity to.
I'd like everyone to know that Johnny Alien posted 46 times today and then requested guitar shop access. :fp:
:D

Ah who am I to laugh, I've been post padding for nearly 3 years! :freako:
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:39 am

here's a pic i took after posting yesterday:

If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Johnny Alien
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnny Alien » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 am

Jay wrote:
Jay wrote:
Johnny Alien wrote:I use the forum as a great resource but rarely see the need to comment or post new threads. If I want to know the difference between the new reissues and the old ones I can do a search and find my answer. That does little to boost my post count but is the proper way to use the forum. Why litter it with duplicate threads? So in order to be able to support sellers here this policy would actually force me to make posts that are probably not needed.
I see where you're coming from here but personally, I disagree with this logic even though it's the prevailing tone of the majority of internet forums. I think continuing to make new topics (within reason) and discussing old ones promotes healthy and continuing dialog and brings previous discussions to the top for newer, or perhaps more knowledgable members to contribute where they may not have otherwise seen an opportunity to.
I'd like everyone to know that Johnny Alien posted 46 times today and then requested guitar shop access.
Is this how admins act here? Publicly calling out? I did not post anything that was fluff. 3-4 of my threads are now multi-page. I was told that repeating past threads was not frowned upon so I started posting. Is there anything that I did that was wrong? I could understand if I just posted "hey nice" but I think I only had one or two posts likes that. I have been a member here for a long time and have long used it as a resource. I am in the market and would like to support people here and I can't see it. When I pointed out that this policy promotes over posting I was told that I was wrong and then got called out for posting too much even though my posts were valid. I still haven't gotten access either.

DrOctagon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrOctagon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:29 am

Does it really need to be spelled out? Over-posting with the singular intent to reach 50 to gain access to the FS section seems like obvious post padding. After 50 it's pretty much a moot point but if you've been a member for so long, why feel the need to rack up all the posts today? Especially after you've stated that all your questions and comments could be answered with use of the search function.

Johnny Alien
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnny Alien » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:38 am

DrOctagon wrote:Does it really need to be spelled out? Over-posting with the singular intent to reach 50 to gain access to the FS section seems like obvious post padding. After 50 it's pretty much a moot point but if you've been a member for so long, why feel the need to rack up all the posts today? Especially after you've stated that all your questions and comments could be answered with use of the search function.
1. I was off work and bored. 2. I was told that they encourage repeat posting vs using the search function. 3. Because there is no way to reach 50 or above unless you start actively joining the group which is what i thought this rule was about.

IMO, post padding is going though and adding needless content just to boost your post count. Legitimate posting regardless of how frequent is still contributing which, again, seems to be the point of the rule. I have also posted almost 20 times today because I am at home and it's not to reach 50 posts. If I am around and on the net that I will post frequently. I post just as much on other boards depending on the day.

The posts I made were in an effort to join the group and start discussion as much as it was to reach. I made an effort to not post anything that was pointless. So if I post 40 times a day now that I reached 50 is that an issue??

Johnny Alien
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnny Alien » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:47 am

For the record, if what I was posting was an issue, I apologize. I legitimately was bored and trying to be active. I did not post one line responses unless I really felt it was OK and I didn't bump threads that weren't on the first page even though I was reading some. I also did my best to start threads that I felt had information that I had not found through searching. There are plenty of places to buy guitars on the internet that I don't need to get in here so feel free to make my post limit much higher. I don't have access yet so it's not big deal either way. I will continue to be a part of the community without that access. I would like access to an edit button though.

DrOctagon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrOctagon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:10 pm

I haven't read through your posts nor does my opinion have any real value here. I just think it's a little fishy when someone with only 60 total posts has 46 in one day, right after stating how much he wants to buy a Jazzmaster from here.
By the way, the FS section is not the grail that people think it is. You could just as easily buy a JM from somewhere else for the same price I'm sure.

jim93
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jim93 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:17 pm

DrOctagon wrote:I haven't read through your posts nor does my opinion have any real value here. I just think it's a little fishy when someone with only 60 total posts has 46 in one day, right after stating how much he wants to buy a Jazzmaster from here.
By the way, the FS section is not the grail that people think it is. You could just as easily buy a JM from somewhere else for the same price I'm sure.
I think this sums it up.

Johnny Alien
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnny Alien » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:20 pm

DrOctagon wrote:I haven't read through your posts nor does my opinion have any real value here. I just think it's a little fishy when someone with only 60 total posts has 46 in one day, right after stating how much he wants to buy a Jazzmaster from here.
I already have a JM purchase in the works on another guitar forum and did as of the day before yesterday (when I made the posts). I did talk about wanting custom colors in a thread about what colors were available. I would support people here if there was something I needed but I don't think it's a grail.

slavemaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by slavemaster » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:00 am

Johnny Alien wrote: Is this how admins act here? Publicly calling out? I did not post anything that was fluff. 3-4 of my threads are now multi-page. I was told that repeating past threads was not frowned upon so I started posting. Is there anything that I did that was wrong? I could understand if I just posted "hey nice" but I think I only had one or two posts likes that. I have been a member here for a long time and have long used it as a resource. I am in the market and would like to support people here and I can't see it. When I pointed out that this policy promotes over posting I was told that I was wrong and then got called out for posting too much even though my posts were valid. I still haven't gotten access either.
I think that to exonerate yourself now you will have to make at least 50 posts every day ;)
We got people playing stringed instruments! It's the end of days.

Johnny Alien
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnny Alien » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:59 am

slavemaster wrote:
Johnny Alien wrote: Is this how admins act here? Publicly calling out? I did not post anything that was fluff. 3-4 of my threads are now multi-page. I was told that repeating past threads was not frowned upon so I started posting. Is there anything that I did that was wrong? I could understand if I just posted "hey nice" but I think I only had one or two posts likes that. I have been a member here for a long time and have long used it as a resource. I am in the market and would like to support people here and I can't see it. When I pointed out that this policy promotes over posting I was told that I was wrong and then got called out for posting too much even though my posts were valid. I still haven't gotten access either.
I think that to exonerate yourself now you will have to make at least 50 posts every day
Highly likely over a weekend when it's cold outside.

DrOctagon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrOctagon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:39 am

You are well behind on your 50 posts per day quota. Get to work

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Bonus points for Emma Watson content.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:04 am

Johnny alien has posted six times in the the post padding section, in response to accusations of post padding. Is this a self fulfilling venture or what. C'mon make it 7. :P
If he weighs the same as a duck!!

tatotateman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tatotateman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:44 am

But, he's also made a lot of generally substantive posts.