Where is the equipment exchange section

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: Where is the equipment exchange section

Post by fullerplast » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:53 am

pullover wrote: I think the 50 mark is just right. It makes it just annoying enough to keep spammers out, and it's attainable.

I just made 51 posts and it popped right up.
Pullover = 1
Suckers with less than 50 posts = 0

Celebration at my house tonight guys. I would like to thank my Mom, my Dad, My lovely wife for sticking by me through it all.... Im going to Dis KNee Land!!!!  woo hoo
Who's bringin the beer?
Q. Are we not men?

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:19 am

I am, that is if everyones cool with Pabst Blue Ribbon?
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:33 pm

pullover wrote: I am, that is if everyones cool with Pabst Blue Ribbon?
"Heineken?!?  Fuck that shit.  Pabst Blue Ribbon!"

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:00 pm

pullover wrote: Thats one of several things that irked be about the "other" forum, it was a "For Profit" organization and they ran it that way. I don't know how much money they made, but they should have been able to run the site from advertising profits only. I think it bothered me most whenl I went to the suggestion area and saw the hekling Non-contributors got from contributors  for making suggestions. Your not special just because you gave your money away to some dude who retired early and had a computer. That's just hostile man!  end rant.
I agree completely. This new site is alreading exceeding everyone's expectaions and will only get better with time.

Justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger

haledixon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by haledixon » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:44 pm

i like the 50 posts bit... yall should make all kinds of secret shit that just pops up at certain posts.

275 posts = the special doughnut forum.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:30 pm

Yeah - 10,000 posts = free marauder.
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:35 am

jetset wrote: Yeah - 10,000 posts = free marauder.
-J
10,000 post should get you a life! You would certainly need one at that point...

(this being sarcastically posted by one of the forum's most post-happy members)

:)
Q. Are we not men?

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:33 am

haledixon wrote: i like the 50 posts bit... yall should make all kinds of secret shit that just pops up at certain posts.

275 posts = the special doughnut forum.
Agreed, we can discuss the value of pre-CBS  donuts, ya know they are only worth half the value, if theyve been "re-glazed".... ::)

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:53 pm

pullover wrote:
dc wrote:
you know, this is a welcome improvement over that "other" forum, where the phrase "i'm thinking of selling my [whatever]" would earn you a bill for $30 from the moderator. talk about an extortion racket! they actually deleted one of my posts where i said "i'm thinking of selling my car" to pay for a new guitar.

of course, i did that just to provoke them (tee hee).
Thats one of several things that irked be about the "other" forum, it was a "For Profit" organization and they ran it that way. I don't know how much money they made, but they should have been able to run the site from advertising profits only. I think it bothered me most whenl I went to the suggestion area and saw the hekling Non-contributors got from contributors  for making suggestions. Your not special just because you gave your money away to some dude who retired early and had a computer. That's just hostile man!  end rant.
That board is a total racket.  I asked the mod on another board I frequent how much it costs to run a forum and this was his breakdown:

webhost: $95/year
domain reg: like $35/year (which is way more than it should be, but Ant got rooked into a scam a couple of years back, and I still can't figure out how to get out of it)
bulletin board software: free

I can't imagine it cost much more to run the "other" board, yet they solicited donations like they were public radio (only more right wing).  The advertising alone would have turned him a nice little profit...
Thread killer

Infliktor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Infliktor » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:43 pm

I have no idea if they make a profit or not.  However I cant imagine that with the amount of bandwith (posts) they use that it only cost a few hundred a year to run.

Anyway this is an excellent forum and much appreciated

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:43 pm

Dedicated hosting runs anywhere from $80-150 monthly depending on the host and plan. He'd most certainly be on a dedicated host with the amount of traffic their site gets.  As for the amount of money made I figure it's at least in the 10's of thousands a year.  Figure if 3k people "contribute" that's 60k plus ad revenue.

Infliktor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Infliktor » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:27 pm

wow...
AnywayI dont find myself going back there too much.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:51 pm

It is a lot of money that's for sure but it's also A LOT of work to run a forum... especially with such a large number of users.  The biggest problem I have with the place is the lack of respect for people that contribute in ways other then financially.  The way I see it, if you're posting a cool pic or helping someone figure out how to get their bridge set up properly, you're benefiting the site more then by giving the guy $20.  I mean, without good content you ain't got shit.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:53 pm

That's where we're coming from .. forget the money, just give us info .. informed, useful and interesting content. Content Is King.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:34 pm

I moderate another guitar forum that's been around for @ 10 years.  NO money has been made that whole time, although there is an optional contribution for the server fund.  Selling T-shirts with forum logo and stuff like that also helps defray some site costs, but we're not in it to make a dime.

Pretty sad when it becomes a money-making (and most likely tax-free?) venture in my opinion.  Glad I found this place!