Financial contribution

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
Maulden7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Financial contribution

Post by Maulden7 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:52 am

It's not obvious, but is there any way that I can contribute to the running costs of the web site?

I appreciate that these places do not come for free, & that somebody is paying something somewhere, yet they are a super source of information & support (especially for those of us outside of the USA)

Dave M.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: Financial contribution

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks for the thought!

It isn't that expensive, and we (the mods & admins) cover it between ourselves. We don't want ads, and we've all seen how relying on members' contributions can go wrong. It seems to be working OK so far.

:)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Maulden7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Maulden7 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks, just wanted to ask, & ensure that you guys know we're out there (I'm sure I'm not alone) if push comes to shove.

I do help where I can, but many here much more informed than me.

All efforts very appreciated by myself.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:35 pm

I have to say, while running this site isn't free, it definitely isn't expensive. The most it could actually cost to run a large forum is a few thousand dollars and that's if you've got stupid amounts of traffic and a vBulletin license to pay for—thankfully we have neither.

I've often wondered how much money a site like the gear page brings in. If 10% of their 125k members donated at the lowest level ($12) that would be 150k annually, not counting any ad revenue. That's a wild guess but any way you slice it, there's some real money in that business.