Reduced Hum Jazzmaster Pickups

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
rukavinaguitars
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Reduced Hum Jazzmaster Pickups

Post by rukavinaguitars » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:52 am

Hi all, I'm a builder and am currently working on some Jazzmaster pickups with 2 three-pole-piece bobbins in series RWRP that replace the single, noisy bobbin in each pickup.
I've kept the pickup bobbins as flat as possible and as true to Jazzmaster bobbin width as possible in the given space of a Jazzmaster pickup cover, leaving them somewhere between the bobbin/wire structure of a Jazz coil and an overwound Strat coil...Jazz-like, but with a little more meat and less airiness.

As I get some sound samples done I'll share what I've come up with for those that may be interested in an alternative pickup that doesn't go nutty with the 60 cycle hum.

I've edited and deleted a previous link showing one on reverb and was referred to delete it due to policy. Apologies. There seems no options for image upload or I'd share a photo.
Last edited by rukavinaguitars on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Reduced Hum Jazzmaster Pickups

Post by otis » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:11 am

All that sounds very interesting, but you're not supposed to advert in any section apart from the 'for sale or trade' section that you get acces to once you've got 50 posts.
If you plan to stay on this forum, it's better to delete the message I guess...
just trying to help.

saxjag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by saxjag » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:38 pm

rukavinaguitars wrote:Hi all, I'm a builder
Hi, Ryan! I'm a longtime admirer of your stuff & have even considered ordering a custom lap-steel bridge from you. It's cool that you're re-engineering the JM pickup to reduce hum. Looking forward to hearing the sounds.
rukavinaguitars wrote:I've edited and deleted a previous link showing one on reverb and was referred to delete it due to policy.
It's true that you can't offer individual items for sale directly on the forum until you've amassed 50 posts, but you may be able to discuss your technical R&D in a general way elsewhere at OSG. Heck, luthiers & modders do it all the time here. Why don't you ask one of the forum mods about the protocol.
rukavinaguitars wrote:There seems no options for image upload or I'd share a photo.
See the "Inserting an Image" thread.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:33 pm

otis wrote:All that sounds very interesting, but you're not supposed to advert in any section apart from the 'for sale or trade' section that you get acces to once you've got 50 posts.
If you plan to stay on this forum, it's better to delete the message I guess...
just trying to help.
'
there's a for sale and trade section? where?