Opinion needed- swapping three guitars for Thurston Moore JM

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Bleakstreak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Opinion needed- swapping three guitars for Thurston Moor

Post by Bleakstreak » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:24 pm

Yes, the neck is satin. One of the nicest necks I've played. Not super fat like the JMJM squire, but still large. Frets feel a little less jumbo than the JM as well. May just be my imagination... I have to be honest that I don't really care for signature models, but this is a very nice guitar. Seems like they are very under valued for basically being a hot rodded AVRI 62 model. The matte black headstock is so trick IMO.

Edit: Oh, and those pickups...

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:53 pm

Another vote for 'do it'.

A single great guitar is more enjoyable than a large number of 'OK' ones.

Takes up less space, too ;)
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

mark66saints
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mark66saints » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:03 pm

I've gone through something similar recently - I'm turning my Classic Player Jaguar and Epiphone SG into an MIJ Jazzmaster and upgrades for my Tele.

There's always this urge to keep getting more gear, and to keep stockpiling guitars with a "more is better" mentality. But at the end of the day, one great guitar that you love is going to make you happier than three average ones. So I'd definitely say do it.

As for the Thurston Moore JM, I was always a bit sceptical about the colour until I saw this photo from Premier Guitar. It looks absolutely fantastic here

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:15 pm

I do love that Green-Black combo!
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:31 pm

I'd try and keep teh mascis though, yeah! I mean $300 ain't that much right?
If OSG has tort me anything...

therobotHUM
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by therobotHUM » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:39 pm

mark66saints wrote:I've gone through something similar recently - I'm turning my Classic Player Jaguar and Epiphone SG into an MIJ Jazzmaster and upgrades for my Tele.

There's always this urge to keep getting more gear, and to keep stockpiling guitars with a "more is better" mentality. But at the end of the day, one great guitar that you love is going to make you happier than three average ones. So I'd definitely say do it.

As for the Thurston Moore JM, I was always a bit sceptical about the colour until I saw this photo from Premier Guitar. It looks absolutely fantastic here
It's funny you posted that pic because I've owned one for two years and always been on the fence about the color until I saw this same pic in last months issue! Haha

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:07 pm

I concur with everyone here. The ones you are selling should be easily replaceable. I think both the sonic youth models could be pretty rare and valuable someday if that is something that has an effect on your decision. Plus, they look so damn cool!

Hyphen Nation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hyphen Nation » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:25 pm

like everyone else is saying, any time you can get an upgrade in gear, it's worth it. Someone else pointed out that it is a consolidation of capitol. Unless you just love those guitars, sell them and get a better one. I thought I had some nice guitars until I found a vintage JM this fall. That purchase has me considering selling anything that I won't lose value on, as a way of financing other amazing guitars. A truly great guitar defies words…everything you do on it is better. An inspiring guitar will create new songs.

DO IT

johnnydeformed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by johnnydeformed » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:26 am

Here's mine. Stock or modded it's a fantastic guitar. Easily my number one. DO IT!!!

Bleakstreak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bleakstreak » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:45 am

johnnydeformed wrote:Here's mine. Stock or modded it's a fantastic guitar. Easily my number one. DO IT!!!

I swapped for black pickup covers as well. Thought it might be too matchy matchy, but I think the guitar looks like a well dressed gentleman now. Not to derail the thread, but what bridge do you have on there? What other mods did you do?

johnnydeformed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by johnnydeformed » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:49 am

Bleakstreak wrote:
johnnydeformed wrote:Here's mine. Stock or modded it's a fantastic guitar. Easily my number one. DO IT!!!

I swapped for black pickup covers as well. Thought it might be too matchy matchy, but I think the guitar looks like a well dressed gentleman now. Not to derail the thread, but what bridge do you have on there? What other mods did you do?
AVRI bridge with the post snapped off and Graph Tech saddles. Sentell JM humbucker in the bridge. That's about it other than the volume knob.

Bleakstreak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bleakstreak » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:53 am

johnnydeformed wrote:
Bleakstreak wrote:

AVRI bridge with the post snapped off and Graph Tech saddles. Sentell JM humbucker in the bridge. That's about it other than the volume knob.
Oh right, I didn't notice the humbucker at first. How would you describe the sound? I could see my self liking a slightly warmer pickup in the bridge position. Recently swapped out the TOM. Kind of a pain to find a good replacement for this guitar with the different thimbles. Going to swap for a second roller on Monday, hopefully that rattles less than the current one I have.

bentonfalls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bentonfalls » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:10 pm

I'd say yeah, do it. I recently sold mine to help fund my JM Jag, but that's primarily because I've been more into Jags the last few years. Ended up selling for $900 on eBay, so you should be able to get one in that range. My 62 AVRI is more versatile and fatter in tone, so it stayed vs my thurston. The TM definitely has a higher output and can be a bit tinny. I can see myself picking up another one or more likely a lee ranaldo when I swing back to jazzmasters and the longer necks down the road.

bluenote23
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bluenote23 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:49 pm

I actually put a tone control on my Thurston Moore. I dialed the tone down a bit and then just shoved it under the pickguard. It sounds pretty much like my AVRI JM now.

hella1hella
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hella1hella » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:22 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote: It is a great guitar that doesn't get its due I think, I guess probably because it isn't 100% vintage. I don't miss the rhythm circuit or the tone knob. The stock adjustomatic works great, the Antiquity II's are great pickups and it feels great to play and just to touch (dig the satin finish). It feels an awful lot like the Squier Mascis, in fact. I considered the deal an "upgrade" from the Mascis.
Really? I've never seen anything on here about people not digging them... I was going to get one and people were way for it! Still kinda want one... :whistle:

I say DO IT! That guitar kicks all of the others asses. You wont regret it :)