Squier VM series Jazzmaster - What upgrades to make it work?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.

What issuesdid you have to fix to make you VM JM work?

None (new strings/minor setup) - worked fine out of the box
7%
Typical setup (ok, “typical“ as in setting up an offset bridge..., incl. different strings, maybe trussrod adjustment)
15%
Major setup (fret leveling, work on the nut, neck shim, tremolo system or other mechanic work on material)
13%
New electrics (pots, switches, plugs, or wires)
13%
Better pickups
11%
New nut
9%
New Jazzmaster bridge
13%
New tuners
4%
New vibrato system (“tremolo“)
6%
New neck (warped, truss rod defective,...)
4%
Other
6%

Total votes: 54

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier VM series Jazzmaster - What upgrades to make it w

Post by Fiddy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:42 pm

I would just replace the shitty nut and add a drop or two of blue loctite to the bridge if i got another one.

10s work fine on every guitar i own. Should i copy and paste this on all 3 threads started by the OP?

OP, i dare you to start a thread for every Squier model available. :freako:

novamax
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by novamax » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:38 pm

My intention was rather to save time instead of posting my experience into every new thread asking about offsets. To me, the VM-series is just a great airbags for limited budgets. I wanted to focus this in options for models in the vintage direction (not humbuckers, hardtails, or the like), and there are only limited options in those as opposed to strats and teles. Feel free to copy where you like.

Beyer160
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beyer160 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:27 am

Beyond the typical new guitar setup, my VM Jazzmaster needed a neck shim (about half the sub-$1K guitars I see do, too) and a liberal application of locktite blue to the bridge screws. Otherwise it was ready to rock. I did change the pots out for 500K, but that was personal preference and not a necessity.

Both my VM Jaguars needed the above, plus a little filing on fret ends and more extensive fiddling with the bridge/saddle heights. In my experience with trying out about a half dozen examples of each at Banjo Mart over the years, the Jaguars seemed to have a slightly lower standard of fit & finish than the Jazzmasters but were well worth the $300 they were asking at the time.

novamax
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by novamax » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:52 am

Interesting - I had the impression that the jazzmasters were a little less reliable quality than the jags... Then again, I had the Jag from a store, and the JMs via the internet (until I had one to stay).