Rotten Relics

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Do You Pass Your Relic Off As True Vintage?

Post by noisepunk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:54 am

JMFan wrote:
fullerplast wrote:No.... guitar people will know and non-guitar people won't care.
That's a great point you make. non-guitar people have no interest or know what the heck a vintage guitar means and guitar people who are in the know, know if it is real or not.
Eh, that's not true- I've had non-guitar people come up to me at shows and ask how old my gear was. Some people just think old stuff is cool, and in fact, it's been my experience that those people care more (in different ways mind you), and about a broader range of instruments and equipments, because they aren't guitar people, i.e.: they'll think a teisco is the coolest thing they've ever seen in their life and the fact that it's vintage makes it that much cooler.

On the flipside, I've had guitar people who were totally oblivious to how old my gear was. Example: My jazzmaster's body was hand done by me, it has tool marks and a rattle can finish, and both of these things are pretty obvious, but I've had people ask me if it was an original jazzmaster

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:59 am

noisepunk wrote:
JMFan wrote:
fullerplast wrote:No.... guitar people will know and non-guitar people won't care.
That's a great point you make. non-guitar people have no interest or know what the heck a vintage guitar means and guitar people who are in the know, know if it is real or not.
Eh, that's not true- I've had non-guitar people come up to me at shows and ask how old my gear was. Some people just think old stuff is cool, and in fact, it's been my experience that those people care more (in different ways mind you), and about a broader range of instruments and equipments, because they aren't guitar people, i.e.: they'll think a teisco is the coolest thing they've ever seen in their life and the fact that it's vintage makes it that much cooler.

On the flipside, I've had guitar people who were totally oblivious to how old my gear was. Example: My jazzmaster's body was hand done by me, it has tool marks and a rattle can finish, and both of these things are pretty obvious, but I've had people ask me if it was an original jazzmaster
Well, yeah. I've had "non-guitar people" look at my wall and ask how old some of them are. Some really are old, and some are aged. They do seem interested/bemused that guitars from the 50s are still around.

What I meant was more that my friends would know if it's a relic and to the other people who couldn't tell, it's just a gee-whiz thing (no real passion).
Q. Are we not men?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:00 am

^^ This is very cool.
Q. Are we not men?

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:02 am

fullerplast wrote:
Well, yeah. I've had "non-guitar people" look at my wall and ask how old some of them are. Some really are old, and some are aged. They do seem interested/bemused that guitars from the 50s are still around.

What I meant was more that my friends would know if it's a relic and to the other people who couldn't tell, it's just a gee-whiz thing (no real passion).
Okay, yeah, I see what you mean.

empyrean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by empyrean » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:28 am

fullerplast wrote:
^^ This is very cool.
Thanks, I love her to death. :)

rrtxoso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

When is relicing ok?

Post by rrtxoso » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:20 am

Share your thoughts on artificial wear on guitars. Hopefully this poll doesn't degenerate into pointless arguing. Explanations on why you feel the way you do are encouraged.
“Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word."

jacobyjd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: When is relicing ok?

Post by jacobyjd » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:30 am

On one hand, I'm all for people doing whatever they want with what's theirs.

On the other hand, it's a shame when someone does a shitty relic on an instrument with any sort of historical value.

That said, I've had one intentionally-relic'd guitar, and it felt amazing.

So I guess I get it. If I was going to head out on tour and I knew that scuffing up the finish of my guitar ahead of time would make it feel that much better, and that it would probably get trashed pretty significantly anyway, I'd be cool with it.

As it stands, a couple years with my AVRI Jag has shown that natural aging can be awesome. Good thing I don't really care about the resale value.

More to the point, I can't wait to see the ultimate shitty relic that includes fret wear.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:40 am

I voted "It's your guitar, do what you want" but that doesn't mean I think it looks cool. I've seen way more terrible relics than good ones.

Danocaster is a good example of how to get away with it. That man is a master when it comes to tastefully done & convincing ageing work.

I'll be in a situation soon where I have a build with nickel & chrome parts. I'm wanting all the hardware to have a duller sheen so am likely to do something with all the chrome hardware to blend them in a bit more (probably the old vinegar fumes & steel wool trick). Other than that it'll be left to age naturally.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:42 am

jacobyjd wrote: I can't wait to see the ultimate shitty relic that includes fret wear.
To be fair, it seems most new guitars need a fret level straight out if the factory these days anyway! :D
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

jacobyjd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jacobyjd » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:48 am

Telliot wrote:
jacobyjd wrote: I can't wait to see the ultimate shitty relic that includes fret wear.
To be fair, it seems most new guitars need a fret level straight out if the factory these days anyway!
Of course (I'm finally getting decent at doing these myself...lulz), but man, I just want to see a belt-sander relic with 2-3 finish layers and some big-ass divots in all the cowboy chord spots. That would just make my day.

Better yet, a youtube tutorial on how to do realistic fretwear leveling, OR a TGP thread where a builder gets all uppity at people trying to figure out his 'proprietary technique'. :D

niemand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niemand » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:21 am

Last edited by niemand on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

LouReedFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LouReedFan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:22 am

When you do it by playing the damn thing too much

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:28 am

DocCarlson wrote:I can't believe how little I care about this. I should have this as an epitaph: Do you own your things or do your things own you? If you like a certain guitar finish fucking do it.

In this day and age how anyone can go about railing against people for being narrow-minded and bigoted over things like politics and religion and then turn around and lay into somebody for their preference in musical gear and get all cork-sniffing and elitist over something like finishing practices/preferences confounds me.

...Sorry if that was really intense, I've been in a mood today.
For what it's worth, I totally agree.

jacobyjd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jacobyjd » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:31 am

BRB, BOLTING SKATEBOARD TRUCKS ON MY JAG BODY

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:34 am

:D :D :D

I should add: even though I don't care doesn't mean I won't quietly judge you for doing something silly.