Squier Paranormal Jazzmaster XII

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Twang Deluxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Paranormal Jazzmaster XII

Post by Twang Deluxe » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:12 pm

hoi wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:48 am
Just got mine in the mail. Can anyone verify if their volume only starts to really work around 7 or 8 o'clock? Did they use linear pots for the volume?
So far I really like this thing. The tuning is stable, the neck doesn't feel cheap, frets are good. I kind of want the white one, too.

EDIT: Just read through this thread and there's a Fiesta red?!? Jeeeez...gonna have to get that one, too. That Strat/tele thing in fiesta red looks cool, too.
Congratulations!

How is the thickness of the body? Does does it feel?

efiug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by efiug » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:28 pm

Has anyone confirmed they have a regular width heel or is it a wider one.

hoi
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hoi » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:59 pm

Twang Deluxe wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:12 pm
hoi wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:48 am
Just got mine in the mail. Can anyone verify if their volume only starts to really work around 7 or 8 o'clock? Did they use linear pots for the volume?
So far I really like this thing. The tuning is stable, the neck doesn't feel cheap, frets are good. I kind of want the white one, too.

EDIT: Just read through this thread and there's a Fiesta red?!? Jeeeez...gonna have to get that one, too. That Strat/tele thing in fiesta red looks cool, too.
Congratulations!

How is the thickness of the body? Does does it feel?
The thickness of the body is 41.08mm (1.6"). It feels great to play. Not too heavy.

hoi
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hoi » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:00 pm

efiug wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:28 pm
Has anyone confirmed they have a regular width heel or is it a wider one.
I took a few measurements with a digital caliper. Looks like the neck heel is standard. I'd like a second opinion but from my measurements it seems like it.

Neck at nut: 43.16mm (1.699”)
Neck at 12th fret: 51.86mm ( 2.04“)
Neck at heel: 55.25mm (2.197“)

Body thickness: 41.08mm (1.6”)

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:18 pm

Argh. I want one.

!johnny!
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by !johnny! » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:59 pm

My LPB came today. It's going back, but only because of damage. It's pretty sweet.

The neck on this one is very nice. Great feel/size/shape (I wouldn't mind it being a touch wider at the nut, but it's still very comfortable and playable). The fret work was better than both my CV Jazzmaster and Bass VI by quite a bit. Other than a quick polish they'd be good to go. The finish is nice, smooth and not tacky. The fretboard is pretty dark and has some decent flaming in it. That was a surprise! Too bad the body is damaged...

The body is a little more hit or miss. The LPB looks great. The pickguard is a little too green, but livable. If you catch the light right, you can see (and feel) the body seam lines. And there are lots of them. This one is at least a 5 piece body. Not a deal breaker for me since it's really only noticeable under close inspection. Unfortunately the body had a dent on the edge (not super surprising with how soft poplar is) with a little finish cracking around the dent. Honestly, I'd probably keep it if it was only a dent without the cracks, because of the cool fretboard. I'm just going to be paranoid that the cracks will turn to chips and flake off.

Sound is nice. It will probably benefit from upgraded pickups. Knobs are noticeably cheaper in feel then the expensive fender ones, but look the part from a distance (as long as you don't mind the numbers being the wrong way).

Setup was pretty good out of the box. The neck was slightly crooked but easily tweaked back into alignment. The low E needs to be raised just a smidge. Didn't bother playing around with the intonation since it's going back. Tuning is always an adventure on 12 strings, no exception here. I will wait to put fresh, properly broken-in strings on before I make any judgements there.

So this one is going back, reluctantly. I think Fender has a winner on its hands with this one. Its shortcomings are to be expected in this price point and should be addressable. Unless an electric 12 is going to be your primary gigging instrument, this Squier will probably scratch an itch for most people. I did debate just straight up returning it and hoping the Fiesta red one becomes available soon. I don't see it listed on the North American region site anymore, though. Also, have after having the one for only a short while I'm anxious to get one and really make it my own, so I'm hoping to exchange it for another LPB.

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:58 am

!johnny! wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:59 pm
My LPB came today. It's going back, but only because of damage. It's pretty sweet.

The neck on this one is very nice. Great feel/size/shape (I wouldn't mind it being a touch wider at the nut, but it's still very comfortable and playable). The fret work was better than both my CV Jazzmaster and Bass VI by quite a bit. Other than a quick polish they'd be good to go. The finish is nice, smooth and not tacky. The fretboard is pretty dark and has some decent flaming in it. That was a surprise! Too bad the body is damaged...

The body is a little more hit or miss. The LPB looks great. The pickguard is a little too green, but livable. If you catch the light right, you can see (and feel) the body seam lines. And there are lots of them. This one is at least a 5 piece body. Not a deal breaker for me since it's really only noticeable under close inspection. Unfortunately the body had a dent on the edge (not super surprising with how soft poplar is) with a little finish cracking around the dent. Honestly, I'd probably keep it if it was only a dent without the cracks, because of the cool fretboard. I'm just going to be paranoid that the cracks will turn to chips and flake off.

Sound is nice. It will probably benefit from upgraded pickups. Knobs are noticeably cheaper in feel then the expensive fender ones, but look the part from a distance (as long as you don't mind the numbers being the wrong way).

Setup was pretty good out of the box. The neck was slightly crooked but easily tweaked back into alignment. The low E needs to be raised just a smidge. Didn't bother playing around with the intonation since it's going back. Tuning is always an adventure on 12 strings, no exception here. I will wait to put fresh, properly broken-in strings on before I make any judgements there.

So this one is going back, reluctantly. I think Fender has a winner on its hands with this one. Its shortcomings are to be expected in this price point and should be addressable. Unless an electric 12 is going to be your primary gigging instrument, this Squier will probably scratch an itch for most people. I did debate just straight up returning it and hoping the Fiesta red one becomes available soon. I don't see it listed on the North American region site anymore, though. Also, have after having the one for only a short while I'm anxious to get one and really make it my own, so I'm hoping to exchange it for another LPB.
Thank you for that!
I think a lot of us were waiting to hear a review like that.

Twang Deluxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Twang Deluxe » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:32 am

!johnny! wrote:

Very nice and helpful review!!!

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:06 am

Twang Deluxe wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:32 am
!johnny! wrote:

Very nice and helpful review!!!
I love stuff like this!

!johnny!, are you getting a replacement? If so, I've seen a few instances where people have said their mint guard is TOO mint, took it off, and left it in the sun for a little bit to soften the color a bit.

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:25 am

Some nice pics of a blue one in this link.

No affiliation, do not know the seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125973761793?m ... media=COPY

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:26 am

I want to see a blue one with black guard and black pup covers

Twang Deluxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Twang Deluxe » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:16 am

sugarandopium wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:25 am
Some nice pics of a blue one in this link.

No affiliation, do not know the seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125973761793?m ... media=COPY
Very nice. I also like the greenish aged LPB

unreal77
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by unreal77 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:42 am

WHERE IS THE FIESTA??????

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:44 am

unreal77 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:42 am
WHERE IS THE FIESTA??????
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:48 am

:D :P :D :D