2017 AMERICAN PROFESSIONAL JAZZMASTER/JAGUAR

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
eligit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 2017 AMERICAN PROFESSIONAL JAZZMASTER/JAGUAR

Post by eligit » Mon May 01, 2017 6:25 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
MatthewK wrote:If you doubt string thickness makes a difference to the depth of the note, try tuning your high E down to your low E and compare the sound!
I don't disagree it makes a difference, but this example is pretty extreme. The difference between a Low and High E compared to two slightly different gauges of Low E is DRASTIC.
Of course it's going to sound like king flub if you tune a high E to low E.
to make a much less extreme example when i used a .49 for a low E it felt and sounded noticeably wobblier than the .54 i have on there now. When i tune to "drop D" it's even more apparent. a .42 on the low E would obviously exaggerate the issue even more.

Beyond what is normally thought of as tone/frequency response/etc i think the heavier strings lend the JM (and i can only assume even more so the shorter/looser Jag) a feel of greater overall structural integrity.

All that said: I have no doubt that a looser more jangly/wonkier feel that comes with using 9-42s has a certain eccentric appeal as well. Easier on the calluses and the less linear/solid response can lend a certain fun janky trebly pawn store vibe, like when you hit a chord really hard and it wobbles slightly in/out of tune, as opposed to 11s or 12s which yield a more pianistic solid/even feel and make bending much more of a task.

BuddyHollywood
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BuddyHollywood » Tue May 02, 2017 8:37 am

I decided to join this forum after reading all 52 pages of this thread!

I haven't played one of these yet but I plan on checking them out. I personally really like the direction Fender chose to go for these new Professional Series guitars. I think the Jazzmaster is almost perfect. I don't mind the toggle on the upper bout but I like the placement of the toggle better on the Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster Special than where it is on these new Fenders. I don't have any experience with the rhythm circuit because I never wanted a guitar with one so I'm actually happy they chose to ditch it. It makes the guitar more appealing to me. I'm a fan of simple and I've discovered that less wiring usually equals clearer tone. Regarding the bridge I think they should have made the saddles smaller so the string spacing would be perfectly aligned over the pickup poles. I would have to hear the pickups in person to accurately assess them but I like what I've heard in the videos.

eligit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eligit » Thu May 04, 2017 8:25 pm

Random aside: These new JMs are making the show biz rounds. I saw *both* guitar players on Seth Meyers' show playing them the other night. So that's in addition to Conan's show, where Jimmy was playing em. Sounded just fine if not particularly "jazzmaster-y" imo.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu May 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Spent a little time with the JM other day. Yeah, those pickups are not very Jazzmastery at all.

crankheart
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crankheart » Fri May 05, 2017 5:10 am

marqueemoon wrote:Spent a little time with the JM other day. Yeah, those pickups are not very Jazzmastery at all.
Finally played one last night also. Definitely not very Jazzmastery. They're good, but indistinctive: just a really nice, typical, single coil sound.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Fri May 05, 2017 5:22 am

I've had my AM Pro Jag for a couple weeks now and I have to say it's a great guitar. Plays really well, sounds really good. My only issue with it so far is that the tuners kinda stink. They look and feel nice but the guitar goes out of tune pretty quickly. Ordered some locking tuners for it. Other than that I really dig it.

bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bdf83 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:24 am

not sure if it's already been covered but aren't they strat pickups masquerading as JM pickups?

eligit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eligit » Fri May 05, 2017 7:04 pm

adamrobertt wrote:I've had my AM Pro Jag for a couple weeks now and I have to say it's a great guitar. Plays really well, sounds really good. My only issue with it so far is that the tuners kinda stink. They look and feel nice but the guitar goes out of tune pretty quickly. Ordered some locking tuners for it. Other than that I really dig it.
speculative: since Jag pups are basically strat pups then the new Jags sound more like traditional Jags than the new JMs sound like traditional JMs.
If that makes sense.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Fri May 05, 2017 8:05 pm

eligit wrote:
adamrobertt wrote:I've had my AM Pro Jag for a couple weeks now and I have to say it's a great guitar. Plays really well, sounds really good. My only issue with it so far is that the tuners kinda stink. They look and feel nice but the guitar goes out of tune pretty quickly. Ordered some locking tuners for it. Other than that I really dig it.
speculative: since Jag pups are basically strat pups then the new Jags sound more like traditional Jags than the new JMs sound like traditional JMs.
If that makes sense.
Yeah, I'm usually more of a JM guy but from watching the videos online the Jag really caught my ear much more than the Jazzy. If only the Jag came in that Mystic Seafoam color too! I have to say though, so far I'm loving the short scale. The new switching options are also better for me and the new neck profile + frets combo is pretty sweet.

Adding locking tuners is a must for me, though.

eligit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eligit » Sat May 06, 2017 7:50 am

adamrobertt wrote:
eligit wrote:
If that makes sense.
Yeah, I'm usually more of a JM guy but from watching the videos online the Jag really caught my ear much more than the Jazzy. If only the Jag came in that Mystic Seafoam color too! I have to say though, so far I'm loving the short scale. The new switching options are also better for me and the new neck profile + frets combo is pretty sweet.

Adding locking tuners is a must for me, though.
interesting.
I also custom modded my own JM to have a flatter radius and taller frets than stock so I can relate. Neither has altered the tone and both have increased playability.
curious to hear if the tuners will change the stability or if it's more about bridge, setup, etc. Once I got my bridge sorted out the tuning got better, even with the vintage style slotted pegs. I find that tuning issues often have as much to do with the bridge design/set up, the strings being heavy enough, and the nut (the slots being well lubricated and properly fitted to the string gage) as they do with the tuners (assuming the strings are tightly wound on the peg natch).

enjoy it!

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sat May 06, 2017 9:05 am

eligit wrote:
interesting.
I also custom modded my own JM to have a flatter radius and taller frets than stock so I can relate. Neither has altered the tone and both have increased playability.
curious to hear if the tuners will change the stability or if it's more about bridge, setup, etc. Once I got my bridge sorted out the tuning got better, even with the vintage style slotted pegs. I find that tuning issues often have as much to do with the bridge design/set up, the strings being heavy enough, and the nut (the slots being well lubricated and properly fitted to the string gage) as they do with the tuners (assuming the strings are tightly wound on the peg natch).

enjoy it!
Yes, the locking tuners immediately solved my tuning issues. I had them on my last guitar and maybe I'm just used to having them. The stock tuners didn't seem shitty or anything but they went out of tune quite easily. I bought some Kluson Contemporary locking tuners and they work great. I don't get people who say that locking tuners don't improve tuning stability... they absolutely do.

optofonik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by optofonik » Sat May 06, 2017 1:04 pm

I think it's cool that the offset "look" is finally gaining mainstream ground.

After having my VM Jag & VMJM for awhile and updating (retrograding) the pickups on the VM Jag to Fender Pure Vintage '65 pickups (the VMJM is next) I'm really happy. I do think it would be cool if Fender reproduced affordable vintage speced versions with that "Fender" headstock most of us want (whether we admit it not) at a MIM price point. However, after recording with both my VM Jag with the new pickups and the stock VMJM (https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vi ... 3&t=104204 ) I realize that, for me, it really is a vanity issue. I'll never tour so if the more expensive AV '65 is a more robustly built guitar I would never know the difference.

Several years ago there were how many offsets on the Fender website? "The times they are a changin'", indeed.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat May 06, 2017 8:12 pm

optofonik wrote:I do think it would be cool if Fender reproduced affordable vintage speced versions with that "Fender" headstock most of us want (whether we admit it not) at a MIM price point.
They do. The Classic Lacquer models.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

optofonik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by optofonik » Sat May 06, 2017 10:03 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
optofonik wrote:I do think it would be cool if Fender reproduced affordable vintage speced versions with that "Fender" headstock most of us want (whether we admit it not) at a MIM price point.
I think they use a Mustang bridge.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Sat May 06, 2017 11:41 pm

optofonik wrote:
andy_tchp wrote:
I think they use a Mustang bridge.
They don't.