2017 AMERICAN PROFESSIONAL JAZZMASTER/JAGUAR

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: 2017 AMERICAN PROFESSIONAL JAZZMASTER/JAGUAR

Post by Maggieo » Fri May 19, 2017 2:27 pm

Linear pots are your friend.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Fri May 19, 2017 7:32 pm

Maggieo wrote:Speaking of the pots on the AmPros, do they suffer from the classic tone dropoff around "8" that most OEM Fender volume pots have? I just swapped out the OEM pots in my JM Jag for Di Marzios, which don't have that problem.
No, these come stock with a treble bleed circuit which prevents such tone loss.

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Fri May 19, 2017 10:49 pm

Snorre wrote:So I made this happen...

Nothing wrong with the maple necks but I really wanted the rosewood fretboard/sonic gray body combination. I bought the body, neck/tuners, neck plate, loaded pickguard, and trem system/arm from Stratosphere. I put as much of it together as I could until I needed my guitar tech to wire up the pickups and setup for the guitar. Saved a couple of hundred bucks as compared to paying for the complete guitar at list price. Plays and sounds great!
WOW!
I'd totally buy that. I much prefer that to maple fretboards.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat May 20, 2017 9:48 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Maggieo wrote:Speaking of the pots on the AmPros, do they suffer from the classic tone dropoff around "8" that most OEM Fender volume pots have? I just swapped out the OEM pots in my JM Jag for Di Marzios, which don't have that problem.
No, these come stock with a treble bleed circuit which prevents such tone loss.
Most excellent.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:16 am

I swapped out the mint green pickguard put a black one on my AmPro Jag. As I'm going through another decal fun phase on some of my guitars, I put on one of Baron Von Lind's James Bond tribute series of 50's pinup style Bond girls (From Russia With Love) decals. Baron Von Lind Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_von_Lind. Since I'm into surf/spy instrumental music, this worked for me:

For me, I liken pinups on guitars to how WWII US pilots had pinups on the side of their airplanes like so:

The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:02 pm

Wow, the sonic grey looks really good with the black guard.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:42 pm

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks these new American Professional models look good, if not better, with rosewood necks. I was surprised Fender didn't make that an option, since so many get religious about their necks in terms of maple vs. rosewood. Seems like they're kinda actively brushing off a good chunk of potential, otherwise-interested buyers.

Keeps eBay busy, I guess...people "kit-bashing" their dream guitars that aren't available stock from Fender.

About a week ago, I (digitally) mocked up a Mystic Seafoam Jazzmaster with a rosewood neck and it looked great. Some guitars, you just expect (or want) to see them rosewood fingerboards. The Jazzmaster and Jaguar certainly come to mind on that.

Interestingly, I've yet to see a Mystic Seafoam Jazzmaster body - bare or loaded - available on eBay yet (and believe me, I keep an eye out). I think anyone buying that gorgeous color just isn't going to part with it anytime soon. I see sunburst, Sonic Grey and Olympic White all the time.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:46 pm

Thanks! I put mine together via parts from Stratosphere - if you haven't already, you may want to check their inventory from time to time regarding bodies/necks and other components. It was actually a couple hundred bucks cheaper doing it this way than buying the stock AmPro.

Also, for what it's worth, the AmPro Jag stock pickups are really good for what I play (surf/punk/alt). I've been wanting to put some Fender AV '65 Jag pickups in one of my Jags and I ended up swapping out the Bareknuckles in my Johnny Marr for the AV '65 pickups. I'm glad I made the swap.

bacca51
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacca51 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:43 am

I really want to see one of these unique colors with a spitfire guard, I think the olive green would look really cool with tort and a rosewood neck.

That grey and black combo is so nice!

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:28 pm

Cheers, bacca51 - thanks! I agree - would like to see some AmPros with Spitfire guards. I've got Spitfire guards on my Fender JM Jag (oly white), Fender Standard Tele (surf green), and Squier VM Mustang (vintage white). Love my Spitfire guards!

bacca51
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacca51 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:41 am

These have been popping up for reverb listed as low as $1,050

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:28 am

pscates wrote:Glad I'm not the only one who thinks these new American Professional models look good, if not better, with rosewood necks.

About a week ago, I (digitally) mocked up a Mystic Seafoam Jazzmaster with a rosewood neck and it looked great. Some guitars, you just expect (or want) to see them rosewood fingerboards. The Jazzmaster and Jaguar certainly come to mind on that.
Ahh, someone did just that.

Case. Rested.

I can do without the blocks/binding, but I think it looks great with the rosewood fingerboard.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:04 am

The Mystic Seafoam looks better with a Maple Fretboard.

I am a huge fan of Maple fretboard anyway. They should offer both fretboard on all colors.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:49 am

I like the maple boards just fine, but it would be cool if Fender offered both boards across all finishes. I don't see a reason why they can't.

wmachine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by wmachine » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:05 am

tammyw wrote:
adamrobertt wrote: I'd like to clarify a few things. The similarity between the Marr bridge and Staytrem is only that the posts on both use a larger diameter screw for height adjustment, and they have nylon bushings attached to the posts to keep those screws tight.

The plastic bushings on those designs are not meant to restrict the bridge from rocking (although Staytrem does now offer an option for larger non-rocking bushings). The posts on the Marr bridge are slightly larger diameter at around 0.28" compared to the Staytrem's approximate 0.25", but they still have plenty of room to move (compared to Mastery at about 0.31" which doesn't rock).

The Am Pro bridge posts are about 0.25" diameter, with the traditional smaller diameter screws. The screws are like the AV65's, having a small slot cut lengthwise with a little bit of plastic in it to keep the screws tight. The little nylon cups in the thimbles then do restrict it's movement, but it's a generous slip fit around the posts and the plastic has a bit of give, so they still have a notable amount of play unlike a Mastery which is truly locked in place.

The Marr bridge has like conventional mustang saddles, with traditional spacing, made of some kind of plated steel. The Am Pro saddles are basically the same traditional style but made of plated brass, and sized for a flatter fingerboard radius. The Staytrem bridge has far superior stainless steel saddles with much nicer and deeper grooves, and narrower string spacing.
Thank you for these details, as they would be nearly impossible to find elsewhere.
Any chance the Staytrem saddles can be used in the Marr bridge?
(Please excuse me now while I catch up on the sleep I lost reading this thread)
"I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."