American Professional Jag vs Johnny Marr Jag

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: American Professional Jag vs Johnny Marr Jag

Post by sciuri » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:33 am

Awesome! Thanks for the tips!

Would you say the output or the Johnny Marr bare knuckle pickups isn’t great for noisier indie type sounds?

I only found one YouTube video demoing the Marr Jaguar with overdrive and fuzz. It sounded ok but not impressive, but it’s hard to tell from YouTube sound quality. I guess I could always change to higher output pickups but trying to stay within a budget ;)

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:48 am

I use my Jag for a noisy post-punky band. It's my main guitar. At the risk of a self-plug, I think this vid demonstrates pretty well how it handles fuzz etc https://youtu.be/SJ1mqSNGH0Y?t=324

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Thanks for that! It seems like it handles your pedals great!

The Dead Ranch Hands
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by The Dead Ranch Hands » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:32 pm

Kestrel- wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:59 am
Thanks for telling advice. Yesterday I found a small shop about a 2 hour drive from me that had both Johnny Marr and American Professional Jaguars in stock. Tbe shop owner was kind enough to keep his store open after hours for me to try out both guitars.

As I previously stated, I wasn't looking for a vintage spec Jaguar. I wanted a modern version and both the Johnny Marr and American Professional Jaguars are similar in their simplicity and modern updates such as the 4 way pickup switch, Mustang bridges, and simple controls. I did note the cost difference between the two as well as the differences in the fretboard radius and body finish, but none of those things were a factor. So anyway I tried them both on anew Orange Rockverb 50 watt combo, a Vox AC30, and AC4 with a 12 inch speaker, and a Fender Princeton Reverb (silverface reissue) to get a good idea of how they sounded and played.

The Johnny Marr Jaguar was beautiful. The pickups are vintage-y sounding, but by no means weak. They have clarity and bite.The neck was okay and had a familiar feel with its 7.25" radius and gloss finished back. The American Professional Jaguar was equally as beautiful in fit/finish and the pickups are bright, modern sounding and a bit hot, but very tameable. Cleans sound very clear and articulate and they roared with the amps overdriven.

To be honest, I actually preferred the neck on the American Professional better. It was more comfortable to me and I like the satin finish back over the gloss finish on the Marr Jaguar. I also loved what the phase switch did for the American Professional Jaguar, which in my opinion makes it a bit more versatile. And the pickups had more of a modern bite that I actually prefer and what also helped seal the deal was the treble bleed circuit which the Marr Jaguar did not have, so in the end I bought the American Professional Jaguar.

A few other things about the American Professional Jaguar appealed to me such as the ability to adjust the truss rod at the headstock rather than at the heel of the neck. The Micro-Tilt neck adjustment, and the tremolo arm that screws in place, like the Classic Player models, except it operates smoother.

Here's a pic of the one I bought.

Congrats, great looking guitar!

FYI Imgur is way better for hosting pics to post on forums, but that's beside the point

Always-Ben
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Always-Ben » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:21 pm

I'm really liking a Marr that's at the local shop, but the fact that it has no noise cancelling is a concern for me, given my house is particularly mean to my single coils in terms of amplifyin 60 cycle hum. I've wondered if the American Pro Jaguar is an answer, but one thing I'd hate to give up is the strangle switch for the series mode, as the Marrguar's series mode is the first one I've ever found usable as the switch takes out all the mud. The Pro obviously does not have it, only a phase switch.

Question: does the phase switch help at all at making the series mode a little less muddy? Is the Pro's series mode that muddy to begin with?/usable?