Any Custom Shop Bass VI RI news?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
aen
Expat
Expat

Re: Any Custom Shop Bass VI RI news?

Post by aen » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:53 pm

cmatthes wrote:
Could have been that they were neglected and needed an in-store setup (?)
Every guitar in every store I've ever been to, with the exception of Dave's guitar in Lacrosse, WI has needed a setup and new strings.  It's a shame really.
I prefer their older stuff.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:47 am

aen wrote:
cmatthes wrote:
Every guitar in every store I've ever been to, with the exception of Dave's guitar in Lacrosse, WI has needed a setup and new strings.  It's a shame really.
Man, remind me not to shop where you shop!  Dietze Music House here in Lincoln always has well-set-up guitars, with new strings.  Guitar Center, not so much.  But that's sort of like being shocked that those $.99 ten packs of socks at Wal*Mart are made by 10-year-old Chinese prisoners.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 am

MaggieO - when did they move up to TEN year olds?  I thought that they used 4-7 year olds because their hands are so much smaller and nimble.  :-X

Actually, there are three GCs within a 45 minute drive of me, and NO GUITAR that I have ever touched in any of them has been set up or set up well.  Another large shop around here (Litz) doesn't seem to take much time or care with these either.  I frequent my local dealer (Dave at Rocketeria here in MD) and a few vintage shops who know what they're doing.  BTW, Chuck Levin's in Wheaton also puts out a good setup for floor stock.

That all makes a HUGE difference to me.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:16 am

Maggieo wrote:
aen wrote:
cmatthes wrote:
Man, remind me not to shop where you shop!  Dietze Music House here in Lincoln always has well-set-up guitars, with new strings.  Guitar Center, not so much.  But that's sort of like being shocked that those $.99 ten packs of socks at Wal*Mart are made by 10-year-old Chinese prisoners.
Ook, I was exaggerating a little.  Brickhouse is good, but they do put itsy bitsy strings on all the guitars, which is kind of gross to me.  I guess I'm just sore that the Jags and JMs they had were so neglected ( strung with 9s, tremlock totally out of whack, that type of thing)

But yeah, Guitar center is like they take the dodgy factory setup and hand it to a 3 year old on crack and say "here, play with this for 15 minutes and put it on the floor."
I prefer their older stuff.

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:29 am

I just noticed musiciansfriend.com has them in stock now.  Not sure how many, but I would assume they ordered at least a few.  Their website always said some date in Feb. 2007 as an ETA, so I guess they are rolling in everywhere.  They list it for the MAP of 2599, not sure if you can call and talk them down or how they work in that regard.  But just posting in case anyone is having trouble finding one in stock and doesn't want to wait for an order.

bassVIst
Expat
Expat

Post by bassVIst » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:21 pm

argh.
i'm tempted to order one...
just to try it out and resell it in a few months or so

talk me out of it!

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:40 am

Well Alfred, why would you want a new, shiney gleaming VI for? I bet the case doesn't even smell like stale urine and I bet they don't have any personality either. All the tuners will work flawlessly and all the frets will be brand new and levelled, it will intonate too easily (and not drift - hmmmf!). And think of the neck! No wear marks like those beautiful old ones. And the tone? Well, being new and all, it'll maybe be hotter and no grounding noise - what good is that? Who needs bell like tones sustaining for days!

And think of all the other things you could buy, like.... ummmm.....errr.... beer coasters or christmas bon-bons with crap jokes or Homer Simpson fridge magnets. The list is endless.

;D

But if you meant to talk you out of selling it in a few months after buying it, that's a different story!

Feel free to ask for advice anytime Alfred  :)

woster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by woster » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:03 am

Thanks a lot scottme, now you got ME wanting one too  :D  Seriously, I'm on the verge of ordering a CS BassVI, but there's one thing I'm still a bit worried about. Can anybody tell something about the action? I'm a bit of a wussy for high action, and I don't know any stores where I can try one. I once owned a Fender Jazz Bass, also with a C-shaped neck, and I just couldn't get the action low enough without major fret buzz. Some guitar freak told me you can't get a low action on a C-shaped neck after, like, the 6th fret. I ended up selling that bass, and ofcourse I don't want the same thing to happen with a Bass VI.

tsalwel
Expat
Expat

Post by tsalwel » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:59 am

bassVIst wrote: argh.

talk me out of it!
;D ;D ;D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

;)
  d
music ALLways
music  IS my motor

davelowell
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by davelowell » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:01 am

Wow, that's what I like... 

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:29 pm

woster wrote: Thanks a lot scottme, now you got ME wanting one too  :D  Seriously, I'm on the verge of ordering a CS BassVI, but there's one thing I'm still a bit worried about. Can anybody tell something about the action? I'm a bit of a wussy for high action, and I don't know any stores where I can try one. I once owned a Fender Jazz Bass, also with a C-shaped neck, and I just couldn't get the action low enough without major fret buzz. Some guitar freak told me you can't get a low action on a C-shaped neck after, like, the 6th fret. I ended up selling that bass, and ofcourse I don't want the same thing to happen with a Bass VI.
The "C" shape is referring to the shape on the backside of the neck. Setting the action on a VI should be the same as with anything else. With a balance between adjusting the truss rod and the bridge/ saddle height, fairly low action shouldn't be a problem. Generally though, heavier strings will require a higher action, but not an extreme amount.

Justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger

SPudnik
Expat
Expat

Post by SPudnik » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:48 pm

Some guitar freak told me you can't get a low action on a C-shaped neck after, like, the 6th fret. I ended up selling that bass, and ofcourse I don't want the same thing to happen with a Bass VI.
??? 'Doesn't make sense.
With a balance between adjusting the truss rod and the bridge/ saddle height, fairly low action shouldn't be a problem...
Precisely.
The VI I have, MIJ re-issue, has the best action of anything I've ever owned... After a few tweeks to the truss rod and a slight bridge mod, I have no issues at all - even with 'chords in anger'...
Bass VI - A What?

bassVIst
Expat
Expat

Post by bassVIst » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:58 pm

tsalwel wrote:
bassVIst wrote: argh.

talk me out of it!
;D ;D ;D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

;)
  d
wow

see... i can't ever sell my 1st generation VI... it'll take me forever to buy that Shoreline Gold AND another refin/player...
:D

Yannic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Yannic » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:16 am

Just wondering. Does anybody know how much the jaguar Bass VI Custom resembles the Bass VI. I would love to add an offset baritone to my collection, but money is keeping me from ordering a Bass VI :(. I really like the look of the bass VI and I think the Jaguar Bass VI comes close to that look. Just wondering how its sounds like. I know it only has 2 pickups instead of 3 and its lacking a tremolo, but still could it be a decent poor mans Bass VI?

John Taverna
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by John Taverna » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:53 am

dinosaur wrote: Did anyone here get one yet?  I've seen two posts elsewhere that the scale length may in fact be the correct 30" and not the 30.3" on the spec sheet.  One post was from someone who bought one and measured and remeasured it himself, and I'm not sure what the source was of the other one.  Might be the same guy.
Hi dino!
maybe I'm one of the guys you're talking of (the one on the FDP).
Sorry, I'm a stupid newbie and the first time I made a mistake!
Please, forgive me! :'(