Any Custom Shop Bass VI RI news?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Gizzorge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any Custom Shop Bass VI RI news?

Post by Gizzorge » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:16 am

Hello People,

Well the first CS VI I got from MF came with a crack in the finish at the neck pocket, so I sent it back.  After telling me it could be February till I got a replacement, I was very surprised when a new one was shipped to me last Friday.  So it showed up yesterday, and was in perfect condition.

Review: 
Sounds great.  The notes just boom and ring out so nicely. 
It was set up really well, comfortable action (considering those thick strings) no buzzing.
Frets are clean. 
Paint is really top notch burst action. 
It seems heavier than the Japan Reissue (which I think was made of Basswood?). 
The tort is not as over done as it looks on Fender's website. 
The pickups are different than the Jaguar AV pick ups, the pole pieces on the Bass VI are flat.  They are crème colored (as is the trem tip).
The saddles work fine, no buzzing or jumping out of the grooves.  Sorry I did not measure the scale length to see if it is 30 or not,  but it is not a big deal to me anyway.
The case, although it is black, is really nice.  Old school red velvet on the inside, and nice embroidery on the top flap.

In relation to the Jaguar Bass VI/Baritone Custom-  The VI is better in everyway.  That being said the Jaguar VI is a nice instrument, and probably the best alternative (tone-look-style) to getting a real Bass VI.

It was a lot to pay, but it is exactly what I wanted, and I have to think it's value should go up in years to come? 

I'll try to post some pics in a few days.
Last edited by Jay on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:35 am

John Taverna wrote:
dinosaur wrote: Did anyone here get one yet?  I've seen two posts elsewhere that the scale length may in fact be the correct 30" and not the 30.3" on the spec sheet.  One post was from someone who bought one and measured and remeasured it himself, and I'm not sure what the source was of the other one.  Might be the same guy.
Hi dino!
maybe I'm one of the guys you're talking of (the one on the FDP).
Sorry, I'm a stupid newbie and the first time I made a mistake!
Please, forgive me! :'(
Oh I'm not upset at all!  Thanks for the info in the first place, and welcome!  :)

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:36 am

Good to hear, Gizzorge.  Can't wait to see the pics.

Yannic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Yannic » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:39 am

Thanks for the review. I'm affraid that I'm gonna have to settle for a Jaguar Baritone instead of a Bass VI. Ah well if I really like the jaguar, I can always find a Bass VI later on ???

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:08 pm

Hello,

New to the board, and wanted to share pictures and thoughts on the Bass VI Japanese reissue vs. the 2006 custom shop model.  I have both.  The finish on the USA is far and away better than the reissue. 

They both play well, but the bridge on the reissue is a pain (high E pops off the saddle).  I have some Jaguar saddles that I was going to use, but now that I've the the USA model with the Jag bridge and see that it works fine I'll put a full Jag bridge assembly on the reissue.  There has been some discussion that the narrower Jag bridge will limit intonation settings, but there is plenty of room.

Sound wise, I find the USA to be brighter and have better sustain than the reissue.  THe USA also sounds good with any pickup combination while the middle PU on the reissue leaves  a little to be desired.  I think the pickups are different, and the USA has the middle PU reverse wound.

Overall I'm very happy with the USA model, with a couple of minor issues:

1.  The black case is pretty normal except for the Custom Shop embroidery on the inside top of the case.  I have a nicer blond Bass VI case made by G&G as well which I got for not much on ebay.

2.  The only thing to let you know this is a Custom Shop model is a decal on the back of the headstock.  I thought maybe the neck plate would indicate custom shop as well.

3.  The edge of the rosewood fingerboard where the finish starts along the edge is a bit rough, almost like it needed to have the grain filled.  Not a biggie, but the reissue doesn't have this problem.

OK, here's where you can see pics and compare for yourself:

http://www.pbase.com/dbasica/guitars

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:10 pm

I forgot one important fact.  I got my custom shop model for $2299 from Buffalo Bros.  No affiliation with them, I just wanted to deal directly with someone who knew what they were talking about rather than a warehouse retailer. Looks like I saved about $200 off the standard selling price as well.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

davelowell
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by davelowell » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:13 pm

Hey, DB, if you are getting rid of the RI bridge, please let me know.  I have a USACG bass vi and a regular jag bridge on there.  I had to bend down the back to intonate at Eb correctly.  I am on the lookout for a wide bridge base.

Thanks, and I love those pics!  What color did you refin the Jag baritone?  Seafoam green?

Dave

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:28 pm

I'll let you know on the bridge, but I'm probably going to keep it as they are hard to come by as I'm sure you know.

The Baritone was refinished in Surf Green by Pat Wilkins of Wilkins Guitars (www. wilkinsguitars.com).  He does a great job if you're not up to it yourself.  For my next refin, I may try the ReRanch route, but I'll practice first on an old guitar before I try it on something nice.  My main problem is that I live in the CO Rockies and don't really have anyplace warm and clean enough to take on a long term project like a refin.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

Gizzorge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gizzorge » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:09 pm

DB wrote: Hello,

New to the board, and wanted to share pictures and thoughts on the Bass VI Japanese reissue vs. the 2006 custom shop model.  I have both.  The finish on the USA is far and away better than the reissue. 

They both play well, but the bridge on the reissue is a pain (high E pops off the saddle).   I have some Jaguar saddles that I was going to use, but now that I've the the USA model with the Jag bridge and see that it works fine I'll put a full Jag bridge assembly on the reissue.  There has been some discussion that the narrower Jag bridge will limit intonation settings, but there is plenty of room.

Sound wise, I find the USA to be brighter and have better sustain than the reissue.  THe USA also sounds good with any pickup combination while the middle PU on the reissue leaves  a little to be desired.  I think the pickups are different, and the USA has the middle PU reverse wound.

Overall I'm very happy with the USA model, with a couple of minor issues:

1.  The black case is pretty normal except for the Custom Shop embroidery on the inside top of the case.  I have a nicer blond Bass VI case made by G&G as well which I got for not much on ebay.

2.  The only thing to let you know this is a Custom Shop model is a decal on the back of the headstock.  I thought maybe the neck plate would indicate custom shop as well.

3.  The edge of the rosewood fingerboard where the finish starts along the edge is a bit rough, almost like it needed to have the grain filled.  Not a biggie, but the reissue doesn't have this problem.

OK, here's where you can see pics and compare for yourself:

http://www.pbase.com/dbasica/guitars

DB

The paint is nice, huh?

What do you think of the weight difference?

I have never been a fan of the MIJ/CIJ pickups, in any model.

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:21 pm

I didn't compare weight, but also didn't notice a difference.  The reissue is taken apart right now getting ready for a refin so I can't really compare the weight at the moment.  (I"m thinkg Seafoam Green with a matching headstock). 

Based on your comments on the reissue pickups and my own observation maybe now would be the time to look for upgrade pickups.

DB
Last edited by DB on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IV, V, VI, XII...

bassVIst
Expat
Expat

Post by bassVIst » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:38 pm

wait...

has anyone asked how you managed to get a reissue with Blocks&Binding??!??

i actually think it looks better!
especially the burst finish
;D

bassVIst
Expat
Expat

Post by bassVIst » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:45 pm

bassVIst wrote: wait...

has anyone asked how you managed to get a reissue with Blocks&Binding??!??

guess i could read the caption... der.
:)

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:47 am

DB wrote: I didn't compare weight, but also didn't notice a difference.  The reissue is taken apart right now getting ready for a refin so I can't really compare the weight at the moment.  (I"m thinkg Seafoam Green with a matching headstock). 
Kind of like this?

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:28 am

Gizzorge , had a look at your CS Bass VI and it looks damn good...

some observations if I may...

-  the sunburst seems quite close to the original.  They must be bleaching then spraying/soaking the wood in yellow before the red/black.  Never have liked modern sunbursts when compared th 60s /early 70s bursts.  This one comes damn close  :)

- although the tort guard is a much improvement on the previous attempts...  I find it amazing that they just can't seem to come close to the original colour of the nitro tort guards from the early 60s

- how do the pups sound... looking at the photo of all 3 pups, they all seem very low. 
I just went and measured my 67 bass VI and the bridge pup is about 4mm above the guard, the middle is about 2.5 - 3 above and then neck about 1mm below the guard .... it is just unusual to see all three pups so low.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...