Newbie buyers dilemma

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Newbie buyers dilemma

Post by Ceylon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:10 am

If I were you, I would try to find a japanese one, a CIJ. Last I've checked they could still be had for about the same price used as new Classic Players, and Jaguars are traditionally a bit cheaper than Jazzmasters. If you're willing to spend 150-200 on a new pair of pickups (don't have to be too expensive to be good, Rose Pickups' Magic Dragons look alluring) and a Staytrem bridge and you've got a great guitar. It will end up costing you a bit more than a Classic Player would, but almost certainly still less than an American Pro one, and you'll have something much closer to a traditional Jaguar.

I play a CIJ Jazzmaster with Rose pickups myself. The pickups were the only really weak point on it, the trem might not be as good as on the American ones, but frankly it always worked for me. The quality of the whole thing as an instrument is splendid. I put a Staytrem on my Squier VM Jaguar and it made that guitar come alive in a completely different way, so I'll eventually get one for the Jazzmaster too, but the cheaper, generic Mustang bridge I had on there before worked, so you can always go for one of those. Then throw a shim in the neck pocket and you're golden!
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:18 am

If you live in a big City you may be able to go play one of every Fender Jag available. If you don't good luck with that. Most of the GC's carry the lower end models.

Talking New. Once again I would seriously urge you to compare the Classic 60's to the Classic Player if that is your price point. I found the Classic 60's to be the closest you can buy to an AV65, which are Custom Shop level Guitars (IMO), & superior in Build quality, Pickups & other Components to the Classic Players & the other New Jag Offerings with exception to the AV65's.

As far as Luthiers. There many good ones, but in my experience, few that are really good & knowledgeable about Jag's & Jazzmaster's. Particularly, Setting up Locking Tremelo's.

Lars

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pikmin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:33 am

TomBar3 wrote:
And yes, I will go for a shop/luthier who is actually a known/skilled guitar repair and builder. (I'm Belgium based so not that many 'real' specialized shops/guys)
I'm in Belgium too ! I bought a CIJ Jaguar in the beginning of this year . I putt awesome vintage style Q_pickups on it and a Staytrem Bridge . A very good luthier based in Chièvre made a bone nut for the guitar and a good setup for pretty cheap . He knows very well offset guitars . And now, it's really a killer guitar and my favorite one . Where do you live in Belgium ?

TomBar3
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TomBar3 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:03 am

Larsongs wrote:If you live in a big City you may be able to go play one of every Fender Jag available. If you don't good luck with that. Most of the GC's carry the lower end models.
I could drive to one, but even the stores in our biggest cities (think a couple of 100k inhabitants) only rarely have Jags in stock...
Larsongs wrote: Talking New. Once again I would seriously urge you to compare the Classic 60's to the Classic Player if that is your price point. I found the Classic 60's to be the closest you can buy to an AV65, which are Custom Shop level Guitars (IMO), & superior in Build quality, Pickups & other Components to the Classic Players & the other New Jag Offerings with exception to the AV65's.
Would that be the 60s Lacquer you are referring too?
(CA)R seems popular amongst Jag players, yet this red isn't that sexy to me...
It's indeed odd its quality would be so much better as its prices equals the Classic player...

Some queries on 60s Jag revealed however models no longer on Fender's site like here and here (Japan Humbucker).

TomBar3
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TomBar3 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:04 am

pikmin wrote:I'm in Belgium too ! I bought a CIJ Jaguar in the beginning of this year . I putt awesome vintage style Q_pickups on it and a Staytrem Bridge . A very good luthier based in Chièvre made a bone nut for the guitar and a good setup for pretty cheap . He knows very well offset guitars . And now, it's really a killer guitar and my favorite one . Where do you live in Belgium ?
Good to know!
I'm from the Flemish Brabant part :)

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:58 am

TomBar3 wrote:
Larsongs wrote:If you live in a big City you may be able to go play one of every Fender Jag available. If you don't good luck with that. Most of the GC's carry the lower end models.
I could drive to one, but even the stores in our biggest cities (think a couple of 100k inhabitants) only rarely have Jags in stock...
Larsongs wrote: Talking New. Once again I would seriously urge you to compare the Classic 60's to the Classic Player if that is your price point. I found the Classic 60's to be the closest you can buy to an AV65, which are Custom Shop level Guitars (IMO), & superior in Build quality, Pickups & other Components to the Classic Players & the other New Jag Offerings with exception to the AV65's.
Would that be the 60s Lacquer you are referring too?
(CA)R seems popular amongst Jag players, yet this red isn't that sexy to me...
It's indeed odd its quality would be so much better as its prices equals the Classic player...

Some queries on 60s Jag revealed however models no longer on Fender's site like here and here (Japan Humbucker).
Yes, I meant Lacquer 60's. Pardon. for it's slightly higher price compared to the CP, you get Nitro finish, Fender USA AV65 Jag Pickups, Hard Case & excellent Build Quality. Really the CP should cost much less by comparison.

It does have a Rosewood Neck which is going to be difficult to get Overseas in the near future if not already. If you can find a Lacquer 60's snap it up if you're overseas. Best Value & Quality

TomBar3
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TomBar3 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Larsongs wrote:Yes, I meant Lacquer 60's. Pardon. for it's slightly higher price compared to the CP, you get Nitro finish, Fender USA AV65 Jag Pickups, Hard Case & excellent Build Quality. Really the CP should cost much less by comparison.
It does have a Rosewood Neck which is going to be difficult to get Overseas in the near future if not already. If you can find a Lacquer 60's snap it up if you're overseas. Best Value & Quality
Case included, that's nice indeed :-)
It does feature the less flattened neck (radius 7.25). That would be less comfortable, no?
Are the Classic player pickups (so) much less?
Bridge is also lesser quality.
Lacquer is better yes.
Both are MMI

I'm afraid new orders in the EU might also get the pau fero already...
Moreover, images of the updated C60 shows black instead of metal around the switches
Update: the black is just a lighting effect... See this video

TomBar3
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TomBar3 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:09 pm

Larsongs wrote:Really the CP should cost much less by comparison.
All CPs (Strat, Tele) are about the same price. But yes, I'd expected the 60L to be more towards the Cobain one, price wise.
Is there a catch?

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:40 pm

TomBar3 wrote:
Larsongs wrote:Really the CP should cost much less by comparison.
All CPs (Strat, Tele) are about the same price. But yes, I'd expected the 60L to be more towards the Cobain one, price wise.
Is there a catch?
The only catch is it's only available in one color & it's MIM.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Why is being an MIM a catch?

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:04 pm

I'd go classic lacquer too.
Descent build quality; not too heavy, good pickups, nitro finished.
The 60's lacquer is 1050 euro in Thomann.
Leo Caerts could get you the same or sometimes a better price(They regularly have days with discounts).
MIM is not a compromise; I had a very good tele that was mim classic 50's.
The color is what it is, I think it works very well on a Jag.
about the radius: it's just a habit. I used to play a Guild acoustic with a 12' or so radius for 15 years before playing electric guitars.
At first playing 7.25' guitars felt a bit strange, but I prefer it now. I wouldn't worry about that.
Go to koln(musicstore) and compare all the options.
You'll know wich one you like afterwards

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:52 am

tribi9 wrote:
Larsongs wrote:
Why is being an MIM a catch?
It's not for me. I've played & compared all the newer Jag's & JM's. I would have no problem with a Classic 60's Jag or JM. (I went with a new AV65 Jag because they made me an offer I couldn't resist!)

These Classic 60's are great Guitars. Also a great deal when you consider USA AV65 Pickups, Nitro, Build Quality, Finish Detail & Hard Case.

But to some, when they see the Fender logo, they assume it's built in the USA.

Lars

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:21 am

Biggest issue with the Classic 60s lineup is the lack of colours. The features are perfect, but 1 colour per model? Craziness.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.