Trying to gussy up a Fender Classic 60s Lacquer Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Talheid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Trying to gussy up a Fender Classic 60s Lacquer Jaguar

Post by Talheid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:58 am

I have a parchment guard on mine, it definitely looks better than the stark white.

AstroGhast
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by AstroGhast » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:23 pm

takeittothemall wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:53 pm
I just bought this Classic 60s Lacquer Jaguar. I've been intrigued by these since they came out, but always felt that something about them seemed a little off. I would like to rectify that. So far, it has upgraded, handwound pickups, a staytrem bridge, and an American Vintage vibrato unit.

I'm planning on getting correct knobs. I think a matching headstock and mint guard would go a long way. I've already reached out to joeybsyc and he's able to do a fiesta red matching headstock for me.

Does anyone know what kind of mint guard would fit this exact model? Does anyone know where, outside of Spitfire, I can get a mint guard with the vintage-correct bevel?

Any other recommendations as to how to take this thing to the next level?

Thanks.
I plan on getting this model soon to go with my Classic lacquer Jazzmaster. I'd like to install an AV trem unit on both. Did you have to do any mods to fit the trem unit into the guitar or did it pop right in? Your guitar looks fantastic!

I disagree with a lot of folks saying these are too near a used AVRI. I have worked in numerous guitar shops over the last 15 years, and in the last 4-5 years, I just haven't seen any used AVRI's nearing the price of these excellent classic lacquer models. Even at say $400 (a conservative difference) more for a used AVRI, I personally don't feel the extra $400 would be justified (with the one exception of resale value, which is void if you're buying it for keeps). At the risk of sounding like a jerk, I feel a lot of those comments are coming from folks who feel they have to intellectually defend the fact they paid a lot of money for a high end 'historically accurate' instrument while these lowly Mexican models are pretty damn close for often half the price...
Last edited by AstroGhast on Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_nash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by _nash » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:43 pm

I have a mint guard on mine.
I doubt most would do this... but I also found a spray can of red paint that matches nearly perfectly. I considered spraying the headstock (I bought the paint for a different headstock).
A little info here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=94878

It’s not quite the same now as that old thread.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:47 am

MKR wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:49 am
You don't see many pearl guard jags around... this one is looking killer!
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:39 am

leokula wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:47 am
MKR wrote:
You don't see many pearl guard jags around... this one is looking killer!
Seconded. Love that look.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:38 pm

I have CAR AV65 Jag.... Been thinking about doing a different Pickguard... That Pearl White looks cool! Wonder what an Anodized Gold or a very Red Tort would look like too?

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:06 pm

takeittothemall wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:41 am
sunburster wrote:Mint guard is a must, it looks 10x better. You also might want to add shielding plates to the cavities (not sure if they'll fit in without any modifications) and rewire with cloth wiring, if you want to go for the vintage vibe inside and out. You could also roll the fretboard edges like they do on the AVRIs to get rid of the sharp edges and make it feel better to play. And you could drill a hole to install the mute!

Funny thing with these lacquer 60s: if you spend money to do all the mods to make it like an AVRI 62, you could have just bought an AVRI 62 in the first place for the same price or less (at least if we're talking about Jaguars, not the case with AVRI Jazzmasters as their used prices are through the roof lately). And then you'd have the proper tummy cut too (it's too shallow on the Lacquer 60s).

I understand that rational. However, I was able to snag this guitar for a pretty good deal and it already has a Staytrem, AVRI vibrato unit, and hand-wound pickups. As I think about it, the only other must is the mint guard, which will probably run me just $40. If I stop there, I am into this guitar for way less than an AVRI, especially given that I would likely want to incur the added expense of a Staytrem and new pickups on the AVRI as well. In addition to that, I already have enough sunburst guitars and would only be looking for a custom color Jaguar. That eliminates a lot of the low-priced AVRI's from consideration. Further, I've had AVRI guitars and that finish does not feel remotely similar to the nitro of the AV65s, thin skins or MIM Lacquer series. Nitro is an important feature to me.

If I want to invest more in the Jaguar, I can do the matching headstock (another feature that would be difficult to find on an AVRI), cloth wiring and shielding for another $225. These mods would probably make it much harder to recoup my cost though.
I’d love to see how these Classic Lacquer guitars are aging. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything other than missing chips of color on an AVRI and sadly unless you’re buying like an MJT or crazy Custom Shop thing, most of our guitars are never going to age the same as the old ones :/

Man, a matching headstock with tons of checking would look totally fucking awesome on a Fiesta Red Jag like that.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:47 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:38 pm
I have CAR AV65 Jag.... Been thinking about doing a different Pickguard... That Pearl White looks cool! Wonder what an Anodized Gold or a very Red Tort would look like too?
I'd love to see pictures of some.......

Wall-O-Sound
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Wall-O-Sound » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:06 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:06 pm

I’d love to see how these Classic Lacquer guitars are aging. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything other than missing chips of color on an AVRI and sadly unless you’re buying like an MJT or crazy Custom Shop thing, most of our guitars are never going to age the same as the old ones :/

Man, a matching headstock with tons of checking would look totally fucking awesome on a Fiesta Red Jag like that.

I've seen the Lacquer jag for sale on the FB marketplace with a few checking marks. Horizontal across the body, very noticable. I own one, and it certainly isn't a bulletproof finish. As far as AVRIs go, people have shared photos of them aging, which includes discoloration, checking, chipping, and I think I recall seeing some wear-thru on the finish of some. You could also probably dig through some Strat Tele sites and see some examples, too.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:34 am

I’d love to see some and I’ve tried googling but have never really seen aging like the old stuff. Like on the AV65 stuff it seems to go right from surface color to wood underneath which is a bummer - I want my Thin Skin to have weird white chunks showing thru and stuff. Doesn’t seem like it’s gonna happen but I’d love to see any examples that anyone has to post

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:47 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:34 am
I’d love to see some and I’ve tried googling but have never really seen aging like the old stuff. Like on the AV65 stuff it seems to go right from surface color to wood underneath which is a bummer - I want my Thin Skin to have weird white chunks showing thru and stuff. Doesn’t seem like it’s gonna happen but I’d love to see any examples that anyone has to post
I don't think you'll get that with the thin skins or the AV65 series - that white is (I believe) the Fullerplast undercoating. You'd see that on something like the American Originals or AVRI '62 models as they age, they have an undercoat like that.

Thin Skins (and boutiques like K-Line or Danocaster) will age more like '50s Fenders (in terms of damage, yellowing/greening is probably different from both).

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:28 am

Oh no I know and it makes me sad every day!

Wanna see more Thin Skin aging real bad but I’ve had a rough time finding pics. Same goes with AV65s in general. I know it took decades for the real ones to turn into what they did but those newer thin finishes were supposed to age real fast.

amv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by amv » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:35 pm

MKR wrote:

It's such a guitar forum cliche to say "I normally don't like X, but I love it here," but...

I don't normally like pearloid guards, but I love it here.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:12 pm

wooderson wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:47 pm
I don't think you'll get that with the thin skins or the AV65 series - that white is (I believe) the Fullerplast undercoating.
Fullerplast is clear - the white on vintage custom colours is a paint primer. Maybe more recent paint tech allows the colour coat to adhere like a primer?

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:41 pm

amv wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:35 pm

It's such a guitar forum cliche to say "I normally don't like X, but I love it here," but...

I don't normally like pearloid guards, but I love it here.
thank you. it's funny because i also normally don't like pearl guards, but it just feels right on this guitar. it was a whim purchase too. browsing ebay and spotted it for something like $10