NGD: Road Worn Jazzmaster (+ aluminum guard page 3)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: Road Worn Jazzmaster (+ aluminum guard page 3)

Post by invisible man » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:18 am

I'm late to this party, but having a lot of fun. In the market for a tort or gold guard, considering my bridge options. Thinking of selling a non-Vista Jagmaster to fund a Mastery bridge, but that is an idea for another thread coming to the mod board soon. I have been a long time reader of this board, occasional poster, operating on the sidelines with a Harmony Silhouette. Finally made the jump to a much more playable instrument, couldn't be happier. Love the matte/satin nitro body and satin poly neck. I love Fender designs but not so into thick gloss. Feel a little weird about buying a Road Worn, feel like I should be earning my own badges of honor, but it is so much more subtle than some of the other models that are very over the top in their pre-wear. I would be esctatic to find a used example in this condition though, and I buy pre-faded (but not pre-torn) Levi's, so I don't feel too bad. Long time fan of the Pacafeliz collection, so I feel like I'm in that neighborhood. Maybe in 2050 there will be a Pacafeliz signature model! One of the best parts of this purchase is I used all our AmEx rewards points to get this from Chicago Music Exchange via Amazon, had to lay out less than $100 to make up the difference, only way I could have done it! Set up very well to play out of the box, even considering original bridge, fully inspected and signed off by CME.
Last edited by invisible man on Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Road Worn Jazzmaster

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:57 am

i tried one of these when they came out and liked almost everything about it other than the bridge and how bad the white guard looked on it. if it was me, i'd go for some kind of black guard and black covers just to stop the thing looking so weird.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:21 am

looks great.

i think the white pickguard works perfect. very classic.

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:29 am

Looks great. I have a road worn jag and absolutely love the feel of the neck more than on any other guitar I own, and it too came with a stark white pickguard that I replaced immediately. I'd love to get a Jazzmaster too at some point. Good deal with using accumulated amazon points. HNGD!

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:26 am

Looks beautiful!
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

amv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by amv » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:40 am

Looks really, really pretty. I'm always so torn on these... I hate relics, but the Roadworn series somehow feels more tasteful than the usual hatchet job.

I'm curious about the finish, though. Are these things entirely matte? I understand they're supposed to be worn (by the road!), but how often do actual vintage guitars lose 100% of the gloss?

l9gaj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by l9gaj » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:58 am

Looks good. Is the decal under the finish?

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it, will be happier with a bridge upgrade and better pickguard aesthetics. I cannot detect the outline of any decal, though I would be surprised if it wasn't there.

Lock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lock » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:36 am

Very nice. I also had issues buying a roadworn--a used jag--but I got over it. The neck finish feels amazing.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:01 am

Nice. I'd consider a Staytrem bridge, too.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:32 am

Wait a minute. You turned Amex points into a Jazzmaster? Damnit. What the hell have I been collecting air miles for...

Seriously though, that's a killer guitar and I agree that the wear isn't tacky. If I were you I'd go gold guard with black oickup covers and knobs. That's my favourite look for a sunburst JM, the "original ad" colour scheme.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:10 am

cestlamort wrote:Nice. I'd consider a Staytrem bridge, too.
I concur. And add a Mastery trem. That'd be near perfect.

What would be perfect?

You know it's coming...

Wait for it...

Legen...

dary...

NEEDS TORT! :P :freako: :P :freako: :w00t: :ph34r:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:20 pm

Maggieo wrote:
cestlamort wrote:Nice. I'd consider a Staytrem bridge, too.
I concur. And add a Mastery trem. That'd be near perfect.

What would be perfect?

You know it's coming...

Wait for it...

Legen...

dary...

NEEDS TORT!
See sentence #2 of original post!

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:44 pm

mbene085 wrote:Wait a minute. You turned Amex points into a Jazzmaster? Damnit. What the hell have I been collecting air miles for...

Seriously though, that's a killer guitar and I agree that the wear isn't tacky. If I were you I'd go gold guard with black oickup covers and knobs. That's my favourite look for a sunburst JM, the "original ad" colour scheme.
Not to get too deep into the credit card weeds, but you can link your AmEx rewords points account to your Amazon account. Amazon seems to give the best rate of points to $ for retail goods. I was going to get my RW JM from Amazon directly (which made me a little nervous), but then I saw Chicago Music Exchange was selling them on Amazon too, and I trust CME more for musical instrument quality control, inspection, packing, and shipping. It was nearly a decade's worth of points (including some big problems/mistakes I'm still paying for) to come close to the cost of the guitar.

I think I'm going to try tort with the current pickup covers and knobs first, maybe change it up later. I wonder what a plain non-anodized aluminum guard would look like? I'd like to go Spitfire at some point, but I've got bridge swap, amp repair, and various debts to budget for. Don't we have a "second-best tort" thread somewhere? I wonder whether red or brown tort would look best on this smokey burst? Any suggestions or sources?
Last edited by invisible man on Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Brainstorm: I could get one of the thin aluminum or copper shields meant to go underneath a plastic guard but mount it on top of the stark white one on there now! Or a black guard would be better... I wonder if the shield would overhang the slightly smaller dimensions of the guard's top? I think they are slightly smaller than the bottom side of the plastic guard, right? I usually can't stand perloid guards, but maybe it would be cool to see just a little bit around the edges and/or cavities of a shield-on-top configuration? That seems very Harvester to me, which makes me excited.