WRHB Jazzmaster question

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: WRHB Jazzmaster question

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Yes. I will mention though that earlier you mentioned only putting it in the neck. If you leave the bridge pup in there, it will hum whenever you have it engaged. I’m not too keen on if it will hum if both are engaged as I’ve just now for the first time gotten my hands on a guitar that has both HBs and singles. I feel like on my EOB strat that whenever the single is used in conjunction with one of the HBs the noise is off.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 am

Yeah, I was curious if I just had that novak in the neck and my vintage 65 bridge pup, if it would cancel hum when it's only on the neck, but also if both pups are engaged. Also didn't know about the outputs and how they'd match up, or if I should just buy a novak bridge as well.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:38 pm

mcbrandt wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 am
Yeah, I was curious if I just had that novak in the neck and my vintage 65 bridge pup, if it would cancel hum when it's only on the neck, but also if both pups are engaged. Also didn't know about the outputs and how they'd match up, or if I should just buy a novak bridge as well.
That’s a tech/mod question...there are plenty on here that know, but not me unfortunately.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:34 pm

Just a note for any future searchers, I ended up getting the neck/bridge combo of the JM-HCs, and love them so far. I put them in my Squier VMJM, and I had previously replaced the electrical with a 920d kit (but left in the original ground wires). My jazzmaster is actually quieter than my Epi 335 Pro. I'm pretty impressed with how there's basically no hum at all. I probably don't have the trained ears to comment much on the tone, but in my opinion it still sounds jazzmastery, just a bit beefier? Reminiscent of the antiquity IIs I had in a previous MIJ jazzy. The Novak's are definitely dark. I think I need to toy with their heights a bit. I previously had pure vintage '65 pups in there and they seemed painfully bright until I dropped the pups super low. Anyone curious about tone comparisons should probably just look up those youtube videos the guy from Psychadelic Furs did A/B testing the stock mexi jazz pups with the JM-HCs. Overall, very happy with my purchase, despite the fact that the pups actually cost more than the guitar did! At least I can keep them if/when I ever upgrade.